“Fresh ingredients, friendly service”
Review of Kam Yin Restaurant

Kam Yin Restaurant
Ranked #194 of 382 Restaurants in Waterloo
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We had four people in our group, we just wanted a fairly light healthy meal. We ordered Malayan chicken (pineapples and peppers), vegetable stir fry, shrimp - cashews and vegetables, along with rice and it was just the right amount. We had tea or coffee and the bill was just $40 with tax.

All the food was fresh and delicious. Service was efficient and polite. Decor was clean and neat. They seemed to do an excellent take-out business. Our friends live in the area and they go to Kam Yin frequently.

There are newer reviews for Kam Yin Restaurant

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We ate at Kam Yin because it is very close to our daughter's new student apartment. We had 3 dishes for $25 and there was plenty of food for the three of us plus some leftovers for lunch the next day. The restaurant seemed like a throw-back to the 1970's but the service was very quick and the food was tasty. It's a great place for students to pick up some reasonably-priced food on those nights when they don't want to cook.

Reviewed 13 March 2013

Kam Yin has been in business for many years. They seem to be always busy and do a huge take out business. The food is consistently good, the prices are great (I'm not sure they have changed in 20 years) and the service is prompt.

The building is clean but bathrooms need attention.

1  Thank tom k
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Had lunch today (3 people) as I had heard that the food was good, and that the prices were good. Each of us ordered a wonton soup, and the Beef Kung Pao, Chicken kung pao and sweet and sour pork. The soup came out and was barely lukewarm at best. Instead of sliced scallions, which would normally be in a wonton soup, there was shredded lettuce...? The kung pao chicken dish came out, and what a disappointment that was!! It consisted of tiny shreds of chicken - maybe 5 little pieces and the rest of the "vegetables" was celery. There were a few little chunks of bad carrots and some onions, but mainly it was the very cheapest vegetable that could be found - celery. Honestly the most pathetic serving size I have ever seen. The did not even include rice as a basic staple for lunch, but it was at an additional cost. Seriously, how much does a bit of rice cost?? I sampled a bite of the sweet and sour pork, and when I bit into it I nearly gagged. It was all FAT! Battered and deep fried FAT! Not even a little bit of meat inside the greasy, disgusting fried fat. All this cost $25.00 for 3 people. Never ever eat here! It's the worst restaurant I have ever eaten at.

1  Thank MamaJojo123
Reviewed 18 October 2012

A family friend lost her husband, & on the way home, would stop by for her take out, lemon
chicken, which she says she loves.
I decided to treat myself for my birthday, delivery, ...took over 1 1/2 hr to come, not their own staff delivery, the entire order over $40 was spilled, sauce everywhere, & a mess.
Called, said would replace same, ....which never happened, even though I spoke to the same "student' young guy, who by the way is still there.
This happened several yrs ago. Then I decided to go, as we were in the area, & hungry, to dine in, - there were only 2 - 2 females.
I am saying females, as many know, we tend to share! Husbands & wifes, out on dates, etc. TOO!
We ordered, she left, another waitress, came over to the table, in broken English, said we HAD to order another dish!
WHAT?
We ask the older man, who also insists that we need to order a dish each!!!
We could not believe this!
I then said, we would take it out, I went to the ladies, when came back out, my companion had
taken my purse, & exited to the car, ---she was furious, ...saying we are leaving the order there.
Have tried to call the owner several times, off & on, when we think of it.
They have lost customers, after this, ---people can not believe this!
Has anyone ever heard of this ever happening?
In my over 40 years of dining out, it was and still remains a first!