“So much potential”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Smiths Falls
Halifax, Canada
“So much potential”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This past weekend I was boating with friends and had booked a room at the Comfort Inn. Heading towards the locks we saw a large hotel that looked like it was abandoned and run down. What a shock I got when I saw the Comfort Inn sign! I prayed that there must be a newer Inn somewhere else in Smith Falls. Unfortunately - that was my hotel!! The stay was actually not that bad but this hotel is definitely in need of renovations. It has fabulous potential. It is on a beautiful site along the Rideau River. The entrance was once grand but now is run down on the outside. I can see this place being turned into a wonderful seniors residence if someone wanted to invest the money. This hotel will do in a pinch and if you are only staying one night.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Acadia80

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed 28 July 2013

this hotel was so awful. The smell from the first step into the hotel to the elevators to the rooms is stale musty And simply gross. The rooms have holes from the moisture from who knows where. The comforters had stains from god knows what. We went for a wedding and I was styling my hair and the power just went out. The maids didn't change the sheets nor did they bring any new towels. The smell was awful. The room was supposed to be a newer room but maybe as new 1960. The only thing I can say good about this hotel is they had safety pins when I needed it. The hotel is situated beautifully. I think some money should be spent to renovate and the hotel would truly be a gem.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank 27ktravel

Travellers are raving about these Smiths Falls hotels

TORONTO,
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Stayed here on business, room was tired and needed work, smoke detector was hanging by the wires from the wall, AC worked but not to well. View was of the Rideau canal, as long as you didn't mind the view of the trash and cigarette but covered roof as well.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LONN21
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I have stayed in Comfort Inn's before, but this was BY FAR the best stay I've ever had. Upon arrival I was greeted warmly, and immediately made comfortable. The lobby has a beautiful view of the river, and when I commented on this offhandedly, the very helpful young lady at the front desk moved me to a room with an excellent view, without me even asking her to. The staff were quick and efficient and were available to me 24/7. The sheet's were clearly freshly laundered (a rarity in a hotel at this price) and the room was clean and comfortable. I was impressed with the continental breakfast, which was delicious and well stocked by staff! The hotel manager John was an absolute delight, and offered helpful directions to local restaurants and stores. I could not have been more pleased with this stay, everything about it was perfect. Finally a hotel you don't have to hesitate or second guess! I will most definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Emily_B155004
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Great location with beautiful river view. Staff went out of their way to make sure everything was set up for our meeting and group business lunch. Unfortunately, the hotel is VERY tired. Decorations are circa 1970s and it shows. That said, the bed was comfy, the flat screen TV worked and the place was clean (well, except the strange stains partway up the wall!)

Room Tip: Make sure you get an upper (4th or 5th floor) room so you have a view of the river.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Ken A
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2013

...to find some older man in my room chatting with the maid while she was cleaning my room when I returned to it around lunch time. The man didn't explain just exactly what he was doing in my room, he just left with the maid after I said to the maid that I didn't really need any cleaning services done. I had not complained about anything not working in the room. The Motel made an odd error on my final bill saying that I had paid cash for one night-which I had done-and then saying that I owed them the exact amount that I had paid them in cash. Right. A younger male staffer from the front desk seemed to be left in the lurch cleaning late at night after one of the maids had apparently called in sick. I know that because I asked him why he was doing cleaning and not working at the front desk. Odd. The part of the Motel by the water was littered with hundreds of cigarette buts. Odd. Not much else to say about the place. I have to give it a 'poor' due to the room intrusion, etc, which is not meant to be a criticism of the front desk staff, who were courteous.

Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank footloose888
San Diego, California
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I spent a few nights at this hotel and was very impressed with the customer service and quality of the rooms. They were clean, spacious and fully stocked. The view of the canal from our balcony was amazing and left me wishing I had more time to spend there! The breakfast in the morning was a nice touch as the amount of hotels offering continental breakfast these days are few and far between. I have an upcoming trip back to the Smiths Falls area and know where I'll be staying!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
#4 of 4 in Smiths Falls
Merrickville Guest Suites
Merrickville Guest Suites
#3 of 5 in Merrickville

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!