“Not really comfortable”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Smiths Falls
Reviewed 21 March 2009

The main thing that I remember about our stay at this motel was the lack of service at breakfast time. When we arrived for breakfast, on the first morning of our stay, we were really disappointed. There were 5 people in our party and there were only 3 (wet) bowls for cereal. When we eventually found the receptionist, she told us that they only had 3 as some visitors had taken them to their rooms and hadn't returned them. There were no facilities to wash them so we were reduced to eating cereal from polystyrene cups. We quite fancied some waffles. However, the cup intended for filling the machine with the mixture was mouldy. I don't know how long it had been left unwashed. During our time in the dining room, no-one appeared to check that there was enough bread, bagels, etc. I've never stayed at a motel/hotel which didn't have at least one member of staff on breakfast duty. (We had just stayed at the Econolodge in Ottawa and the contrast is strartling. They have a lady who constantly checks levels of food and drink and is on the go all the time.)

We spoke to another guest who had stayed several times at the Comfort Inn, Smiths Falls and had noticed it going downhill over the years. She spoke to the manager about the lack of bowls and a batch appeared the next morning. Also, a member of staff was more visible the next day.

We also discovered that the woman in jeans, lying on the sofa in front of the TV at reception, is actually one of the receptionists.

Unlike some other travellers, I don't recall the rooms being unclean or smelly, although the balcony could have done with being cleaned up a bit. Maybe we were just lucky.

It seemed that the staff couldn't care less about the guests or their own jobs. We definitely wouldn't stay there again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank AmandaJA

Reviewed 5 June 2008

We were going to stay at the Best Western but there were a couple of blokes hanging out of a window and loud music blaring in the background. So, we decided to move on and ended up at the Comfort Inn. I wish we'd stayed at the Best Western now.

I think the reviews before me (apart from the first couple) have said it all. It was vile. Filthy, run down, smelly and .... did I say filthy?

AVOID THIS PLACE!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank leesecole
Reviewed 30 December 2007

Happy New Year to Kim, Tina & Zulay for a job well done and beyond the call of duty. Very pleasant staff to interact with.
Our room was clean, large and everything was there that we needed.
The breakfast was great with a good variety to choose from.
Our overall experience for 8 days was beyond our expectations and we have nothing but praise for the staff & Zulay.
Great job well done to all of you and we will recommend this hotel to anyone going to Smiths Falls.
Donna & Jake Maryniak
Calgary, Alberta

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 13 August 2007

I stay at Hotels frequently and this was by far the worst Hotel ever.
To start it took us over an hour to get checked in. When we arrived at our room door the card would not work so after many trips to the front desk to complain that our card would not work in the room door which was assigned to us we heard people in the room and realized that the room was already occupied. They then gave us another room "which only had one bed in it" even though we had reserved for 3 people (2 1/2 months prior to the visit) they told us that was all they had left so take it or leave it but we are not giving you a discount or a refund. I could go on for hours but I'm sure you understand.
It cost us $100 a night and there were absolutely no services available and the Hotel and it had a terrible odor and was extremely dirty and run down.

After this visit and the way we were treated I will never stay at a Comfot Inn again.

If I was this chain of Hotel I would be ashamed to have my name on this place.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank TravelerfromQC
Reviewed 2 August 2004

Building was very old and musty smelling. Balconies were falling apart! Very dangerous! Pieces were falling to ground below. One tiny dirty elevator was very gross! Room was filled with cob webs and several spiders! Balcony door would not open. Bathtub was dirty, shower curtain was disgustingly dirty! Shall i go on? A complete dump that should be condemened! I don't know how Comfort Inn could put it's name on this dive! Do not stay here!!! 0 star Hotel!

8  Thank Leafs_Country
A TripAdvisor Member
Mattawa, Ontario
Reviewed 3 December 2003

I was very unimpressed with the comfort inn and so were the people I went with. The balconies are in terrible shape. They were cracked and seemed pretty dangerous to be on. The balcony door on my friends room didn't close right, the only way to keep it closed good was using the lock. She asked to change rooms and the room they were going to put her in the balcony door wouldn't even open.The stairway was a major disgrace as there was writing on the walls, two of the floors had a pile of dirt on the landings, there was major damage on the ceiling near the windows, there was all kinda chips-holes-and unproperly done drywall repairs in the stairwell. There was an article of clothing and a baby diaper on the roof below us. the radio on the alarm in my room did not work while it did in my friends. There was also water leaking in my friends room. The heat wasn't working too well.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
London, England
Reviewed 22 September 2003

First impressions were bad,. The car park was falling to bits the tarmac was all crumbled and riddled with potholes. Not a good impression. Things didn't improve.The building is a concrete relic from the 1970's. It would have been quite something in it's prime but now it's old and looks ready for demolition.Reception was yellowed with age & decor was in need of updating. The two check-in staff were efficient. Can't say much more than that.The safety certificate in lift two years out of date. The lift was very rickety and I would have used the stairs except were on 4th floor and had lots of luggage.Room had been refurbished and was your standard characterless corporate. Balcony was a disgrace. Water stained and filthy. No furniture and not somewhere you would want to spend time.Air conditioning unit in room was as old as the hotel. Extremely noisy and then failed to work at all. Moved (after many hassles with reception) to another room. Not as well appointed and the bathroom was damaged. Air-con worked but all the buttons had broken off so was not adjustable.Bed comfortable but the discovery of a pair of earplugs (not ours) led me to the conclusion that the sheets were not clean. Relieved I didn't find them until the following morning.Breakfast was also a disgrace. Small table in reception with half a loaf of bread (still in supermarket bag) and pack of cereal dumped on it. We declined for fear of poisoning ourselves.We paid $99 for B&B and it was a complete rip off. If the Smiths Falls Comfort Inn was my only choice I would choose to sleep in the car.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#5 of 5 in Perth
Roger's Motel
Roger's Motel
#3 of 4 in Smiths Falls

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!