“Just okay and rooms need a facelift”

Sheraton Parkway Toronto North
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Richmond Hill
Reviewed 22 January 2014

This is my second stay at the Sheraton in the past three years, both on business trips. Given that it is a conference centre as well as a hotel would account for its sprawling size. Indeed, I actually got lost and confused in the bowels of the building trying to locate the fitness centre. Obviously large size/conference centre go hand in hand -- the disadvantage from my perspective being that it gives the hotel a rather industrial and commercial rather than personal feel. It certainly lacks any of the ambiance and personality of a good boutique hotel but in fairness, that's not what it is. My room was very dark, boring and blah with 70's decor and furnishings and is in dire need of a facelift. It had a depressing dark feel about it. It is also very poorly designed and laid out--as an example, the reading chair is tucked in the corner snug up against the bed as there is no where else to put it. The 'view', if one can call it that, from my third floor room outside the window was horrid, facing onto the roof of the adjoining building. Bothers me that wifi is charged separately. Note that breakfast is also not included. Sound filtering in from the hallway is quite pronounced.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window that faces an outside street rather than a different part of the buildi...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ClaireCalgary
SheratonParkway221, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Parkway Toronto North, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear ClaireCalgary,

We would like to thank you for taking your valuable time to give our hotel a review.
We thank you for giving us a chance to improve and for staying with us continuously.
While we are currently upgrading our rooms, it has always been to the Sheraton standard. Our light fixtures and furnishing are all up-to-date with the Sheraton/Starwood standard.
Most starwood hotels do not include Internet access, our super hi-speed Rogers wi-fi Internet connection will let you work at top speed at a minimum cost.
I hope you can give our breakfasts a try during your next visit. It's had many priases and will give you a great start to your day.

Thank you again for giving us a review and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Stayed here for a hockey tournament with my wife and son. Hotel itself was perfectly fine. Clean rooms. Bathroom clean. We stayed in tower. Starbucks in lobby. Only mild complaint was food in lobby bar: expensive and average at best. On the other hand the rate was reasonable.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
SheratonParkway221, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Parkway Toronto North, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Hi Jabrd,

Thank you for taking valuable time to give our hotel a review. We are glad to hear you had a pleasant stay at our property. We do offer Starbucks at our lobby as well as a 4-diamond award winning Crave Restaurant.
Upon your return to our hotel, kindly ask our concierge for directions to over 30 near-by restaurants and food-stops. There are a vast variety of food available within walking distance.

Thank you again for your review. We wish to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I was booked at this hotel for one night, as part of a corporate group attending a conference nearby. While the lobby was nice, the initial pleasant impression ended there.

I was directed to the far tower, where my room was located. Evidently, I was unlucky enough to get a room in the unrenovated tower, and boy did it show. When I stepped off the elevator, it seemed like a totally different hotel than the lobby I had just left. The carpets were extremely worn and dirty, and the hallway was dingy. If the company hadn't booked this for me, I would have turned around and walked right back out. Things didn't get a whole lot better in my room. The carpet was old and worse for the wear, the curtains were dated and dirty, and the TV didn't work (just wouldn't turn on). The bathroom was not well cleaned (hair that wasn't mine in the tub) and the bed spread was discoloured.

By the time I arrived, it was late and I had been up since 5:30am, so I had no energy to haul all my stuff back down to the lobby to complain. I just tried to ignore it and went to bed. I slept poorly due to being able to hear snoring from another room and being directly across from the ice/vending machines.

I was quite happy to check out early the next morning. Breakfast was included in our stay, so I grabbed a quick bite before leaving, and that was reasonably good. It's just too bad they have let the other tower fall into such a state of disarray. If I had happened to get a room in the updated tower, I imagine I would have had a different experience. However, the state of the far tower is not acceptable, and I am frankly surprised that Sheraton associates its brand with it at all.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear AllisonInToronto,

Thank you very much for your review on our property. It is important reviews such as this, that will help our property and staff to improve. I have passed down this review to our housekeeping and maintenance so we can improve on cleaner rooms and better maintenance on the hallways and public spaces.
Please kindly let us know next time you have any fault in our rooms. Our maintenance department will come up to fix any problems you may encounter. Or our front office and concierge will gladly move you to a working room.
Thank you for your review again, and we hope we can welcome you back one day.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed here for 7 days on winter 2014 because of emergency,
Here are list of Problems
1. - hotel has no humidifiers installed in rooms, after 2nd day we all had itching skin, couldn't breath at night because of dry air. All of my family members end-up getting sick... Bedsits are synthetic and causing static electric shocks.
2. Students sleeping in the hallway, everywhere. I at the front desk about it and they told me that they having some sort of symposium... It looks very unprofessional when you walk around and students seating and lying down under your feet.
3. Over billing - always watch for your final biil, these guys are adding 2nd HST in the end, on the top of HST they charge daily.
4. There are drinking water bottles in the room, but they cost 4$ without warning. There is no prices on them, and people ending-up paying for water daily.
5. Internet cost 7.99$/day
6. Bedshееts are NOT getting changed daily.
7. They have a sauna but it DOES NOT working. I reported, but they DID NOT fix it
8. Pool water is disgusting, they probably changed it 2 years ago. Size of pool is not a greatest as well. They keep adding bleach to the pool instead of cleaning it up...
Price of $160+TAX a day is a bit too much for this type of hotel

If you are looking for a good hotels stay away from this one.

Room Tip: Just stay away from this hotel
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Honest-Bob2014
SheratonParkway221, General Manager at Sheraton Parkway Toronto North, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Honest-Bob2014,

During the week of Dec 21st and Dec 28th the ice storm occurred. I would like to take this opportunity to say “thank you” for all the support, kind words and letters that we received from our understanding guests. I would also like to acknowledge that during this difficult time, we definitely made some mistakes, and some stays were not as pleasant as we would have liked or normally provide. December is our slow time and many of our associates were on scheduled vacations, rejuvenating with their families. Due to the unexpected volume of guests who arrived at the hotel within hours of the storm, the hotel went from empty to full in a very short span of time. In order to accommodate these guests, we called back many of our staff who worked countless hours over their Christmas holidays. During this extenuating circumstance, we focused on cleaning rooms that were checking out, so that we could accommodate as many of the guests whom were waiting anxiously with family members in our lobby waiting for rooms to become clean and available. While many hotels in the city took advantage of the situation and immediately increased their room rates, our property elected not to do so. We did not want to take advantage of our guests who were already distraught with their situation, and knowing that we were not in a position to provide our usual standard of service to the unexpected full house we were happy to be helping, our community. we hope that you will return the Sheraton Parkway Hotel.

Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

We prefer starwood properties when possible and so went out of our way to stay here. We shouldn't have. There's a reason this newly remodeled hotel is still listed as a category 2; they don't try to do anything beyond the minimum for you, which is a shame when there's so much competition out there. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Publius43

Dear Publius43,

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I just left this hotel and was very unhappy with my stay. I am not the type to complain but after working at a conference during the past 5 days, my stay here was brutal. Whenever I had to call “0” for assistance, I would get little to none at all. On our load in day, I had to call 3x to finally get an electrician. Moreover, when we arrived at the dock with the elevator, the elevator was coated with ice and snow. We were unable to open the doors much less push the buttons. How does this hotel expect to run events when vital things such as the loading dock does not function! We were forced to use the other loading dock which was also in terrible shape but somewhat functional (in a dangerous way). I think it’s worth mentioning that we had to shovel and chip away at ice ourselves in order for the loading dock to be useable. When asking for assistance and to try to get some salt to the dock, no one showed up!

Throughout the conference, we had to call multiple times to get help turning off the lights, and received a lot of resistance and attitude from the building staff. At the end of the event, when we were forced to be loaded out by 4am on New Years Day, I called for an electrician to turn off and undo our high voltage power but was told that there no one available in the building and received no further advice or assistance from the staff. My company was forced to undo the power ourselves which is very illegal but had no choice as the Sheraton staff have been very unprofessional!!!

As for my room, I asked for a later checkout at 1pm since I had to have the event cleaned up by 4am. Between 4am-1pm, I had cleaners come into my room 3x!!! What is the use of asking for a late checkout when it means you still get disturbed all morning long?

Overall, I am not happy with my stay at this hotel! If you are to run an event, I recommend you look somewhere else as the accommodations of this hotel (from running your event to your personal room) lack the professionalism other hotels have. This hotel needs to get their act straightened up.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Gerben V

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Terrible terrible terrible hotel. Rude, incompetent staff who called me "dude" and "man" rather than my name which was in front of them. Waited 7 hours for my room to be made available for me after a long flight, despite a promised 3pm check in, leaving phone number at reception and waiting in the lobby. However they kindly offered me access to the Club lounge for only $39 a day.

Room not made up for 3 days despite complaints to management. Unwillingness to help a guest who was staying there for Christmas, and was rudely dismissed by staff on Christmas Day.

To top it off, the hotel is just shabby and tired looking. This is not a 4 Star hotel, a blemish on the reputation of Starwood, and this is from a Starwood Gold member. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Toronto Markham
Courtyard Toronto Markham
Courtyard Toronto Markham
#10 of 16 in Markham

Been to Sheraton Parkway Toronto North? Share your experiences!