“"Our best taste of Thailand north of Toronto"”
Review of Thai Basil

Thai Basil
Ranked #32 of 472 Restaurants in Richmond Hill
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 January 2014

For Thai food, our go-to is Thai Basil. The selection is good and the dishes are fresh and tasty. From the spring rolls and mango salad to the pad thai, noodles, spicy curries and assorted vegetable dishes, there's something for everyone. You know what to expect, it's pretty consistent and the servers are attentive. Reservations are recommended on the weekend. What started out as somewhat of a well kept secret in Richmond Hill has become very popular with frequent line ups and a regular clientele. Parking is available. It's worth driving to the suburbs for.

1  Thank VintageGypsies

Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Omg I love this place! It's the perfect mix between quality Thai atmosphere and cleanliness. I could eat here every day. The prices are fair and the quantities do not leave you unsatisfied at the end of the meal. Perfect for families and for groups.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Yes it's flavours that unite, clash & mend in your mouth. Starting with the mango tea! talk about different (delicious).
This meal is a walk into flavour lane, from duck to eggplant- it's all very tasty!
I have added some pictures to help you "visually".
Judging by the number of customers on the week end, do make a reservation.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

My husband and I go here a couple times a month for dinner. Good menu and drinks list - I like a sake with Thai food and my husband likes a beer from that area of Asia. The food is very good and the service is friendly and helpful. The Tam Yun soup is very tasty as are the curry dishes. We always order a pad thai so we can take some home for next day's lunch -- it's always such a large serving.

1  Thank JenMP
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Treated my best friend and her husband, who visited Toronto recently, to Thai Basil. They stayed with relatives at Richmond Hill and I brought them to Thai Basil due to reviews on TripAdvisor. The place was packed but they had a couple of tables available so lucky us for having gotten a table even without a reservation.

The female wait staff was very friendly and hospitable and took our orders right away. Our orders came within 10 minutes, even less, I think.

For starters, we ordered green mango salad, pomelo salad, soft-shell crab and tom yom gung with chicken. I actually enjoyed the fresh salads and the tasty soup. The soft shell crab was a bit of a disappointment. I had expected it to be hot and crispy but it was not. The sauce that came with it was very good, though.

For our main entrees, we had duck curry, thai basil shrimp and the steamed mullet covered with lots of vegetables. The first two dishes were really good. I wasn't too sure what to make of the mullet, though. I think the sauce didn't quite work with this type of fish ... something like white fish would have been more suitable. But that's just my taste.

Overall, Thai Basil is okay. I won't make the trip all the way from Mississauga though since I have my personal Thai restaurant favorite located here in Mississauga.