“Average experience ...”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Average experience ...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

I don't know how best to describe my dinner at the Cafe. I left full but not gastronomically satisfied. I've never been to France so I don't know what traditional bistro food is like so I can't thoroughly compare. I had the arugula salad -- simple, salad, chèvre and salad dressing .... The salad wasn't dressed but the dressing was good. Then I had the steak with apeppercorn sauce ... The steak was cooked medium well to well. It the medium I ordered. The garlic mash was good .... The steam vegetables were regular. The apple pie didn't seem fresh (my wife's crepe was good though). Overall I had enough food to eat. But I did not enjoy the food as well as I would had I gone to a steakhouse. Probably won't return. Tried it only because of the groupon. Btw. Service was inconsistent ... Had to ask for my water bottle as per the groupon it wasn't just brought over like the other table. Saw faces being made by the staff at the counter when my server took the pucks of chèvre that we couldn't finish and placed it Ina to go container ,,,, bu I give them benefit of doubt. Maybe they weren't grimacing at what I had asked them to do ...

Visited November 2013

Toronto, Canada
“Unexpectedly good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

A little remark about the area - Richmond Hill is about 50 kilometers from downtown Toronto, and there are no other French restaurants and cafes in the vicinity.
Naturally when we booked a table ( an online deal) we did not expect much, as we had an average ad below average experiences in the other restaurants at this area. Again - for gourmet French food one has to drive to downtown or North York ( the bill will be 8-10 times more over there).
When entered were pleased to see white crispy tablecloths and cotton napkins, which you would not normally find in a café.
Food was quite good, well above our expectations. The portions were well ABOVE the average, would they serve half of them, we would not complain.
I would say that you get this kind of food in a French rural restaurant in France - it is not a gourmet food, but a home made type of food. The waitress confirmed that everything was made from scratch.
Retro French songs were played in the background, which was very nice.
The service was very attentive.
Service fee was included in the bill, but we were thinking to tip more than that.
Would go back when feeling lazy to drive downtown.

• Visited November 2013
Richmond Hill, Canada
“You make up your own mind!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

A promotion on the computer for a "Fixed price, 3 course meal - Value $104.00 for $52.00.

The appetizer (escargot with mushrooms and blue cheese *) we found to be TOO Salty and Sandy and mentioned it to the server, when asked if everything was O.K.

* Note: This was recommended to us, however were told later that it was NOT part of the Fixed Price menu and that it cost $15.00 (or something like that). My coupon was on the table.

I asked if the menu given to us had any restrictions on it.

OOOPS!!! There was another menu.

I had shrimp in a mushroom sauce, with rice and vegetables, Tasty but nothing special.

Not having room for dessert, I asked to take it home.

We ordered a cocktail and had a bottle of the HOUSE wine.

When the billed arrived, Tax -- Yes

BUT, the gratuity had been added automatically. No! No! No!

We didn't just mention this to the server . . . . . . we had a conversation.

We owed $99.00, for a total value of $200.00.

At this point I said - "It will probably be a long time before we ever come back again".

We paid with a credit card.

Who carries that much cash around . . . . NOT ME!!

• Visited October 2013
Montreal, Canada
“Fabulous Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

We decided to visit this Cafe on Saturday and we both thought it was fabulous. The interior was warm and very welcoming and reminded me of a wonderful bistro we often frequent in Montreal. We tried the blackboard special which was salmon with a mango glaze served on a cedar plank along with stuffed chicken with brie cheese, wild rice and cranberries. Both entrees were delicious and we decided to top it off with a homemade strawberry crepe. The service was excellent and we will definitely return to this "european style" Cafe in the future. Hands down - a fabulous experience. Would definitely recommend dining there.

• Visited August 2013
Toronto
“Delicious Food and Great Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

We enjoyed our meal which was tasty - coquilles st. jacques, and seafood pancakes. The servings were generous and the vegetables cooked to perfection. The atmosphere is cozy with romantic French music as background. Our waitress did all she to could to accommodate my special diabetic needs.
There is also lots of parking at the back.

• Visited August 2013