“Just awesome experience”

Cafe En Passant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We just had a wonderful dinner at this little cafe. They had a special menu for valentines and the highlight was the the homemade mousse au chocolate, to die for. Over many years we always enjoyed the cozy atmosphere. Missing live music, but will be coming soon.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Me and my boyfriend bought a groupon for $52 for a three course meal. The food was mediocre at best, We ordered crisp calamari, escargot (which was greesy to my taste) for appetizers. Entrees were nothing special and what pissed me off the most was the dessert which i ordered a crepe and it was literally served with a plain piece of crepe dumped with nasty raspberry sauce and whipped cream on it. Is this what French people eat? Last but not least, we expected to pay a tip and tax prior coming to the restaurant but what we did not expect was a 15% service charge in which the waitress insisted that it was her boss' policy to include a service charge to our bill. So we ended up having to pay $22 more + the $52 we already paid for the groupon so it was $74 in total that we had to pay for this average restaurant when we could have went to a place a LOT better for that price. Thank you groupon for ripping us off.

1  Thank foodiehc
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My wife and I have been to the restaurant a few times but after we moved it has been over 5 years since we were last there. We were pleasantly surprised at how great the food still was.
Our waitress was excellent and when she brought the food to our table, it was still pipin' hot.
We definitely were full when we left the restaurant with "doggie bags" in tow.
This time we won't wait 5 years to return.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I don't know how best to describe my dinner at the Cafe. I left full but not gastronomically satisfied. I've never been to France so I don't know what traditional bistro food is like so I can't thoroughly compare. I had the arugula salad -- simple, salad, chèvre and salad dressing .... The salad wasn't dressed but the dressing was good. Then I had the steak with apeppercorn sauce ... The steak was cooked medium well to well. It the medium I ordered. The garlic mash was good .... The steam vegetables were regular. The apple pie didn't seem fresh (my wife's crepe was good though). Overall I had enough food to eat. But I did not enjoy the food as well as I would had I gone to a steakhouse. Probably won't return. Tried it only because of the groupon. Btw. Service was inconsistent ... Had to ask for my water bottle as per the groupon it wasn't just brought over like the other table. Saw faces being made by the staff at the counter when my server took the pucks of chèvre that we couldn't finish and placed it Ina to go container ,,,, bu I give them benefit of doubt. Maybe they weren't grimacing at what I had asked them to do ...

Reviewed 8 November 2013

A little remark about the area - Richmond Hill is about 50 kilometers from downtown Toronto, and there are no other French restaurants and cafes in the vicinity.
Naturally when we booked a table ( an online deal) we did not expect much, as we had an average ad below average experiences in the other restaurants at this area. Again - for gourmet French food one has to drive to downtown or North York ( the bill will be 8-10 times more over there).
When entered were pleased to see white crispy tablecloths and cotton napkins, which you would not normally find in a café.
Food was quite good, well above our expectations. The portions were well ABOVE the average, would they serve half of them, we would not complain.
I would say that you get this kind of food in a French rural restaurant in France - it is not a gourmet food, but a home made type of food. The waitress confirmed that everything was made from scratch.
Retro French songs were played in the background, which was very nice.
The service was very attentive.
Service fee was included in the bill, but we were thinking to tip more than that.
Would go back when feeling lazy to drive downtown.