“Great place, terrible service!”

Grey Gables Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Pembroke B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I booked a room for my Fiance and I to stay the night of our wedding, the place itself is absolutley amazing an beautiful! I later decided to have my bridesmaids and I get ready there on the day of my wedding because I could not to find anywhere for us to get ready and to take nice pictures(not thinking that it would make a difference or be a problem). I checked in at 3pm(check in time), and told her that a few of the girls were going to help me bring my stuff up and that is when the owner was quite rude and lost it, saying "she couldn't believe that I was doing this and I did not tell her that I was a bridal party getting ready, the room we were in was too small and if she would have known would have charged me more, I was asking all this stuff of her?? (which I asked nothing), this was unacceptable etc..." to make her rant short, she was VERY rude not only to me but my mother-in-law to be when she dropped off my flowers. We were a very quiet group of girls, there was nobody else there in sight at the B&B and we were only there for an hour and half. It is very disapointing to have such a beautiful place with such poor service! what a shame....and on the day of my wedding!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sophie L

Reviewed 13 August 2012

In our travels, we prefer to stay at inns and upscale B&Bs. This place rivals any four-star inn that I have ever stayed at. Our room was gorgeous, spacious and luxurious with all the bells and whistles! Breakfast was delicious and the setting exceptional. We chose to stay here on our way to a three-day canoeing trip in Algonquin Park. A must-see!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anney d
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Art and Shirley run a perfect gem in Pembroke. I have stayed frequently over the past three years, in nearly every one of their charming suites. Wonderful breakfasts, comfortable rooms, and welcoming and accommodating hospitality every time! First rate.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Very unque and beautiful spot--an old lumber baron's mansion now converted to a B&B. Quiet, comfortable, hospitable, good bed in our room, and a superb and beautifully presented breakfast. Shirley was very welcoming, Would return in an instant. Shirley suggested an excellent casual restaurant for dinner just down the street (East Side Marios).

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Stayed here for the weekend of my wedding. We live in the Pembroke/Petawawa area and have never been in here until this past weekend. It is unbelievable. The architecture is stunning. Every room in this 4 plus story mansion is impeccably clean. Rooms are a good size, there is alot of suites.
Location is very central. Service was second to none. We were made a fresh sit down breakfast on the Saturday morning that consisted of yogurt parfait, eggs benedict, OJ & coffee. Sunday we were given the choice of a continental breakfast option in room or sit down in dining room. We chose in room and it was really great, especailly considering it was our first morning as husband and wife together.
Even though we live in the area that this B & B is located we will definitely be back!! We would recommend this location first to friends or family before recommending any of the other hotels in the area.
If you are in the Renfrew County area CHECK IT OUT! :) You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Melissa C
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We stayed at this lovely Manor house and found it was well worth the money. The local hotels cost about the same, but this is a better choice. Rooms are outstanding, clean and the breakfast is very classy and delicious. My only complaint would be the BEDS. Please, please Gray Gables, change your mattresses. My parents also stayed at this B&B on a different date and they had the same complaint. We stayed in different rooms. The beds are horribly uncomfortable.

It was also difficult to find anyone to ask any questions after we checked in. There is no info. on anything in Pembroke or area. We wanted recommendations of a restaurant besides Boston Pizza. There is not even a bell or something that you can call someone to ask a few questions.

Room Tip: The Kensington (fully equipped kitchen) and The Library are amazing rooms
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2011

We had stayed at this B & B in Feb and again in March. The rooms were lovely and we booked late Feb/early March to again stay 1 night on Apr 29. We originally had booked the kensington but then changed to the Dover which was all confirmed. Then a short time before our trip I received an email telling me that the room was no longer available and that all other suites were taken. I emailed back and suggested that they 'bump' someone else who had booked later than us, as we had booked a long time in advance and there were several rooms open at the time we booked. I never received any response so I telephoned. When I said to Shirley that I had not had a reply from her, her response was that she had already told me there were no available rooms as everyone else was booked for more than 1 night. Obviously they didn't care what predicament that left us in, but were more concerned with taking a longer booking.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank da50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pembroke
Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre
#1 of 1 in Fort Coulonge
Time Travellers Motel
Time Travellers Motel
#4 of 11 in Pembroke

Been to Grey Gables Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!