“Very poor value for money.”

Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Pembroke
Alberta, Canada
“Very poor value for money.”
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Booked online a suite with jetted tub but when we checked in were told no such room existed. As soon as you enter the hotel you are greeted with an overwhelming smell of chlorine from the pool.

For a suite and $150 we got a king bed and little else. Room was average size and very out of date. Instead of a window it had sliding doors onto the pool which made the room hot, stuffy and uncomfortable even with the a/c on. The sliding doors also looked in on the lobby and gave no privacy what so ever so we essentially had a room with no window. Bed was also uncomfortable and bathroom out of date with very low counters and shower head, I am only 6 feet.

Overall the room was vastly overpriced and gave you a dingy motel experience for Hilton prices.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Travelers433
, General Manager at Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 15 July 2012
Dear Travelers 221;

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I will look into what happened with your reservation, as I can see by the description of the room, that you did not receive our suite with a jetted tub. If you wish to contact me directly, at 613-735-0131 ext 350, I can look up and adjust the rate accordingly. We do have some new staff, and we will follow up with some additional training on our room types and ammentites, to ensure this does not happen again.
We are planning some improvements and upgrades to the hotel in the coming months.
Again, we apologize for this miscommunication, and thank you for your patronage.
Thanks,
Lorraine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Korean first
Peterbrorough
Reviewed 4 July 2012

The room they gave us was on the lower level (125 if I remember correctly). The whole lower level smelled musty and terrible. When we got to the room which also smelled offensive. We performed our custom of checking for bedbugs and signs of bedbugs and found none. However, during this check we pulled back the bedding and found tons of hair and pubes on the under padding. Clearly it had not been changed. I flipped the bed up and looked between the mattress and box. The "skirt" thing that goes on top of the box was moulded and stained. It was so gross. We called the front desk and asked for another room that was quiet. They put us in a room with a balcony facing the pool. First thing in the morning we were woken up by people splashing and yelling(playing in the pool area). In short, staff was nice, hotel was a health hazard. Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Rooms with balconies facing the pool are noisy. Rooms in the lower level are mouldy and smell terrib...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear J. P.
I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our property.
The comments and suggestions from our guests are invaluble tools to us in making corrections and improvements for all our guests.
I ensure you, we have taken your comments very seriously, and have looked into your room, and reviewed the problem, I would be happy to speak to you direcly about this if you wish. You can call me direcly at 613-735-2267.
Again, I want to thank you for your time, and look forward to hearing from you.
Petawawa, Canada
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I was in Petawawa area for couple days and I decided to stay in Pembroke to try this hotel. It is probably the biggest of the area and right next to the hwy (no noise). Also there is a truck stop right in front so you can buy couple things. The hotel restaurant and staff are very nice and the free breakfast good. You'll need a car for sure if you want to go downtown Pembroke and with a good GPS find what you need. You will see that the hotel isn't new and it need some updates but I'll stay there again for sure if needed.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CdnTravelFan
, General Manager at Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at the Best Western Pembroke Inn. We take pride in our staff offering great customer service to all our guests, and I am pleased to read that the staff were pleasant. We do have plans for upgrades to the hotel in the near future. We look forward to your return to watch the transformation unfold.
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2012

The hotel staff at the front desk were the best thing about this hotel. The hallways and room carpets are really stained and dirty. The sink in my bathroom was slow and took forever to drain. Although I was offered a free breakfast the next morning the choice was limited I decided to eat at the Irving Truckstop across the road. I went to the "bar" in the Westwinds restaurant and felt that the staff were trying to rush us out in order to close the place and go home for the night. The bar has a very small tv and according to the staff does not get the same tv channels that you would get in your room. Overall the place is ok to stay in but I have stayed in better places in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Lorraine P, General Manager at Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Dear Dave P.
Thank you for taking time to write a review about our property. The feedback from our guests is invaluable to us in making improvements moving forward. I am very pleased that the hotel staff left you with a postive impression. I am sorry to hear that your experience in the restaurant was not as positive. We are working on making changes in this area, along with many upgrades and improvements over the coming months. I look forward to hearing your feedback on these improvements once completed.
We hope you will consider staying with us again, so we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.
france
Reviewed 15 May 2012

It's easy to find. It's old fashioned but it's well maintained and very clean. I arrived late Sunday and just caught the carvery buffet which was very good. We were not offered any bar drinks so maybe Pembroke is dry on Sundays? Noisy a/c overnight. The pool was fine, open nice & early. Breakfast on our deal was slightly virtual, but well done. It was unusual to have to haul luggage up steps, that 70s time-warp factor again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Lorraine P, General Manager at Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 20 May 2012
Dear brianinfrance;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre. Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff an I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We are looking at upgrades to the building in the future, and your comments about the stairs will be given consideration. We hope to see you as our guest again in the future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2012

This Inn is by far the most depressing place I've ever stayed in. Was booked in for 2 nights having driven from minnet in the morning and Niagra the day before. On arrival it looked dull on the outside, even in glorious sunshine. Plant pots filled with soil and nothing else surrounded the building. Was a struggle just getting in the place with heavy luggage because of lots of steps and heavy doors. Was greeted by an unbearable smell of chlorine from the pool and a sultry girl on the desk who didn't greet me until I greeted her. After checking in, me and my partner made our way to our 'room'. Walking through the mish mash lounge of odd, worn and tired furniture. The halls were also dark and hot and smelly. The carpets filthy and frayed. We entered our room and it was no better. Dirty carpets, two 3/4 beds which ment we had to sleep in seperate beds for the night. The covers were made up of old worn sheets and had no proper duvet on them. Two chairs which looked they had been there since the 60's, but not in a cool retro way. There was also a 1 inch gap under our door, I presume to let the bugs in and out. The window didn't open, was just a solid pane of glass. The room was unbelievably stuffy and the aircon didn't help, plus it sounded like there was a jumbo jet in the room when it was being run. The paper thin walls also ment we could hear the adjoining rooms aircon, toilet, conversations, coughing, opening crisps, stirring tea....It was a joke!! All vending machines in the place were out of order so we had to dice with death across the highway to get a coke. The one filled with food that was working said 'Use at your own risk'....What?!? Overall, just a complete nightmare. Checked out the next day early and payed for somewhere else. Not that moody lady on the desk cared. Also can't believe this place charges more than the Hilton niagra falls, with a falls view room! Jokers! Avoid at all costs!!!!

Room Tip: Don't choose one here!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank louise t
Lorryann, General Manager at Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Dear Sir/Madame;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our property on Tripadvisor. On behalf of myself and all of the staff, I sincerly apologize that your stay was not to your satisfaction. It is our goal to ensure that each and every guest leaves our property with the ability to say that we met or exceeded their expectations and we clearly failed to acheive that during your visit. We are about to undertake a full redesign and upgrade to the hotel under our new ownership. But if you could please contact me direcly at 613-735-0131 ext 350, or via email at gm@bestpembroke.com to discuss your issues in detail, I would more than appreciate that we can resolve your issues to your satisfaction.
Regards,
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We went at the Western Pembroke for one night and we enjoy our stay , the only bad point is the breakfest and no wireless internet.

breafest is crap just go to the iwrvin on the other side of the road !

no wireless internet ..cmon we are in 2012

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Lorryann, General Manager at Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear Marc 12907;
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at athe Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre on Tripadvisorl. Your comments are very much appreciated and will be shared with all of our staff.
We are working on the wireless internet, we currently have it in the lobby and conference area, and it will soon be available in all rooms. I am disappointed to hear you did not enjoy the breakfast at our on site Restaurant, I will be sure to pass on your comments to them.
We appreciate the feedback and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Sincerly,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pembroke
Holiday Inn Express Pembroke
#1 of 2 in Petawawa
Colonial Fireside Inn
Colonial Fireside Inn
#9 of 11 in Pembroke

Been to Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!