“Charmed”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Hamilton, Canada
“Charmed”
Reviewed 11 November 2012

My sisters encouraged me to participate in a weekend that I had no intentions of enjoying. Held at The SunDog Retreat, I was charmed by the experience. The cabins are joined, yet each one holds its own as an independant unit. Every modern convenience is available for use in the kitchen. The loft was more spacious than the website's pictures conveyed. When Mary (owner with Ted) so graciously offered to lead us on a hike through the woods, childhood memories of tramping over beds of pine needles covering moss and rock abound. Crisp leaves crunched beneath my boots and I felt as if I was transported back to an earlier time. Beauty and serenity filled my eyes and soul at every turn. At the end of the day, a relaxing soak in the hot tub told me that I had achieved what I had come for - to leave the frenetic pace of city life behind and get back to nature, get back to me. Thank you Mary and Ted.

Room Tip: Hot tub... excellent
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Evelyn M

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Newmarket
Reviewed 9 November 2007

We found Sundog on the internet, and it looked like the perfect place to spend our first year wedding anniversary. I wish I never had to leave, not only was it relaxing, it was beautiful, and had everything you could possibly want in a romantic getaway. Ted and Mary both went out of their ways to make us feel welcome, and help make our anniversary special. They are wonderful people and you could not go anywhere more charming, well kept or intimate. It truly is paradise at Sundog, and we are going back this winter. I almost hate to say so many great things about it, because when up there you feel like you have found paradise and nobody else knows about it.
Thanks for a great time !

Stayed October 2006
1 Thank Shautzie
Reviewed 24 March 2006

I have stayed at many resorts around the world, cottages, and even have a cottage outside of Parry Sound..(little lake Mckellar).. However this one had a certain aura of romance. MAGIC! My girlfriend and i, took our relationship to a new level of romance during our stay her.. The decor was rustic with a real touch of class.. If you are looking for a five star resort with buttlers and silver cutlery, not the place for you..If you able to relax and slow down, and be intouch with nature, this is your heaven.. We stay in the city slicker suite? kind of ironic..The hosts were genuine and sweet, and much appreciated..We are hoping to go back in April for another peaceful break from our hectic lives, and enjoy our time in paradise. Thankyou Sundog,
Derek and Pauline!!!

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Guelph, Ontario
Reviewed 28 September 2005

Thank you so much for making our 1st anniversary such a wonderful experience! We had such a great time relaxing and enjoying the Retreat and all its amenities.

Over the weekend we kept busy swimming, hiking and canoeing. The hot tub was very appreciated and capped off our everyday. Your hospitality and cottages are definitely 5 Star.

I had such a great time exploring and taking photographs it was hard not to take a bad picture. The Retreat is so photogenic that any where I pointed my camera another exciting landscape, sun set or wildlife subject presented itself.

We will definitely be back!! You made us feel welcome and we can only imagine how the other seasons present themselves!!

• Stayed September 2005
2 Thank Review1-4-U
Reviewed 26 August 2005

From the moment you turn down Sundog Rd., it is apparent that you are in for a unique adventure. The road twists and winds until you arrive at a spacious four suite complex. Each suite has its own character and flair.

Having just been married, my wife and I had the absolute pleasure of spending an entire week in the Honeymoon Cottage. As we arrived we were greeted by Mary and Ted, the owners of the retreat. They welcomed us with open arms and made sure that we felt very much at home for our honeymoon getaway. After introducing us to our suite, Ted and Mary graciously gave us a fantastic bottle of the Sundog's white wine. Their hospitality is amazing.

My wife and I then had an opportunity to inspect our suite. It was perfect from top to bottom, full of unique and quirky charm, elegant yet rustic, and immaculately clean.

While you stay at the Sundog, you are treated to many other
amenities: Two private docks featuring 2 canoes, 2 kayaks, a paddleboat, water floats and life preservers.

Whether you are looking for a romantic escape or a family adventure, The Sundog retreat is sure to cater to your desires.

In addition to the physical charm of the resort, the owners, Mary and Ted are always available and willing to offer their own personal charm.

Thanks Sundog.... We'll be back

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 July 2005

After driving over 1,000 miles and anticipating a "cottage" as stated in the advertisement I was shocked to find one huge building divided into sections. The place was hot, dark and very unappealing. The walk down to the water was steep and dangerous. One of the sections had matresses on the floor and a toilet in the room without walls around it. To me it looked like "Gunsmoke". I have spent many summers at resorts and have never come across anything like this before. There was no place to sit outside - no green space. It probably would do for people who really like woodsy settings but when you have children they need a place to play and a safe beach without drop-offs.

• Stayed July 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
SunDogRetreat, Manager at Aisling Lakehouse, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Sorry to hear your concerns.

You had asked to cram extra people into the two cottages you rented (over our recommended amount). I went out of my way to put a mattress down on the floor for the kids to sleep on. I was quite surprised you are complaining over us bending the rules for your group???

Our cottages are up on a hill over looking the lake. It is not a terribly steep path. My father in his 80's climbed down and up it many times!

We have always advertised this as a 4-plex. No surprises there. We have a small field for kids to play on. I'm not sure how you could have missed seeing that. We have had decks on all the cottages since the day we opened - with Muskoka chairs. We are in the woods though and if you prefer the subdivision of small box cottages at a major beach it's best to book there.
Reviewed 27 July 2005

SunDog Retreat is a real gift – a breathtaking escape in nature to soothe tired minds, bodies, and souls. We just experienced it in the heat of summer with its lush vegetation, wild flowers, & herbs, and its pristine spring fed lake that energized and cooled our bodies. We have stayed at SunDog in the spring and in the winter and have to say that every season has its gifts. At SunDog we could hike in the bush, canoe the lake, curl up with a good book, or lay in a hammock by the water and dream. We have stayed in the City Slicker, the Honeymoon cottage, and in the Country Classic. Our cottage has always been clean, cozy, and so comfortable that we never want to leave. Ted & Mary, the hosts and caretakers of this unique resort, create an environment that nurtures fun, laughter, de-stressing, and just plain feeling good! We never say goodbye, because we know we will be back another season. We have yet to see SunDog in the fall colors.

• Stayed July 2005
#5 of 19 in Parry Sound
Grand Tappattoo Resort
Grand Tappattoo Resort
#6 of 19 in Parry Sound

Been to Aisling Lakehouse? Share your experiences!