“We came...we went (well, briskly walked)”
Review of Glenn-Burney Lodge

Glenn-Burney Lodge
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Parry Sound
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We were booked in for a two night stay and after a couple of hours of being here, I realized that one night would be more than enough for me.

Pros:

Lois at the front desk was lovely.

Cons:

Bar fridge in the room didn't work. I specifically asked about a fridge when I booked the reservation as we have two small children. Lois came and said that they would switch out the fridge later the first night and kindly offered to put my ice bag in their walk-in freezer.  I did see many hairs on the bottom of the fridge - which completely put me off. To be honest, I think this is what completely put me off this entire stay.

Remote for tv didn't work. Battery dead??  I had to turn on the tv/change volume and channels by pushingbuttons on top of the tv. (For those of you with kids and want some wind-down time YTV is on channel 25).

Room was small, but appointed. Portable a/c in room. Basket of two "large towels" in the basket-o-goodies. Small bottle of shampoo and conditioner (might be better off bringing your own). Small bar of soap for the sink (and shower, I presume), yet no soap dish to leave soap on sink.

When we ran the shower, there were bubbles in the shower which I HOPE was residue from cleaning solvents, though I fear that it was soap which belonged to whomever used the towel behind the bathroom door!!

Tons of stairs down to the beach. Seriously - so don't forget your sunscreen, hats, etc.  We were told that there is a restaurant at the beach. We arrived in the evening so we cannot speak about the food.

Parking close to the office /restaurant is at a premium.

Many good reviews about this lodge. Unfortunately, I cannot add to them.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Sydjake

Reviewed 7 August 2012

We stayed at Glenn Burney Lodge for three days in the middle of last week. When we first arrived, we were greeted by Florrie who made us feel welcome in the Canadian North. We are from the UK and were visiting relatives near Toronto Canada and were looking to see a bit of the Canadian countryside before returning. Let me tell you, this is the real deal! The grounds are beautifully maintained but they don't betray the essence of this rugged rural terrain. The setting is a mix of steep granite cliffs and sturdy swept pines set on the channel to a huge body of fresh water called Georgian Bay. (Or just "The Bay" to the locals.)

During our stay we were able to get out for a cruise to see the bay itself and surrounding channels. We also took out a canoe (canoes and kayaks are included in the room charge) for a paddle up a nearby river. We didn't do any hiking but apparently there are plenty of trails for those so inclined.

But the best part of the stay was the three nights of dining. We're big fine dining fans and the restaurant is superb. There's some delicious sounding meat selections but we're big seafood lovers and went for the surf selections all three nights. The house smoked Indian Candy is something I've never tried. It's served with creme fraiche on bibb lettuce. The local freshwater fish selections were prepared a number of ways and so fresh they probably could be eaten as sushi!

All in all, a wonderful cap to our trip to Canada. We'll be back this way in two years and hope to book it for a stay with our relatives.

Room Tip: The staff seem to bend over backwards to please and seem to welcome special requests. I suggest not...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Jodi S
Reviewed 30 July 2012

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Sheila N
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We stayed at Glenn Burney July 17th- 20th. First of all, the staff was very helpful and friendly. Dinner in the dining room was absolutely spectacular. However, we would not go back for a few reasons. We brought 2 seniors with us and the climb to the dock bar is an incredibly long climb. There is virtually no beach. Maybe 15 feet of sand, pictures on the web must have been taken prior to the addition of the dock bar, earlier this month. If you wanted to swim you would be swimming through the boats docked at the marina. Menu at the dock bar is limited to approximately 5 items and the dining room is not open on Tuesdays. There is really nothing to do at this lodge.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Anna C
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here one night, on our way to our cottage. (It's a 7hr drive from our home to our cottage, and we almost always do it in one shot. But we decided to try leaving the night before and staying at a hotel about half way, so we'd arrive sooner the next morning, rested and relaxed.)

We certainly weren't interested in a low-budget, chain motel/hotel, with their floral polyester bedspreads, tiny rooms, and lack of anything special. Based on the good reviews, and decent-looking photographs, I selected this hotel for our little, overnight experiment.

What a waste of time.

It's difficult to write an fair review, since this place is meant to be rustic, and is a lodge, far away from any metropolitan area. Maybe they don't have enough guests willing to pay the kind of price that would allow for better amenities? Maybe they're working towards that? Maybe this is the best they can do? Who knows? For my part, I always look for 5-star (or better), when I stay at hotels, and am a bit disappointed when that's not available. I knew this wouldn't be grand, but it was disappointing, all the same. I had the impression this was one of the better hotels in the area, and my experience there left me questioning if there are any "decent" hotels in this region, at all.

I requested the best available room and, if memory serves me, that was around $160/night or so. What we got was a small, somewhat updated room with a queen sized (!!!) bed, in a cabin-like building, with a bathroom straight out of the 60s (complete with "debris" in the tub), and a television that didn't work. (We watched a bit of television on my iPad, instead.)

There was nothing really "wrong" with the room. It just wasn't very nice. The photographs make it look better than it is.

I can imagine that if your only expectation is a room with a bed, running water, and no pests, then you will find that here. If you're city-bound, and have to stay at a place like this to experience nature, then you may also find this woodsy place charming.

For me, I prefer luxury and amenities. I happily pay for that. But it is seemingly hard to find in this region (besides maybe Muskoka). What we were looking for was a "nice" experience...to make it worth the money and effort, on the way to our own cottage. This place simply had nothing to entice us back.

If the room, especially the bathroom, were a bit nicer, I would give it a 3 out of 5.

Make no mistake. This is not a luxurious, little lodge in the woods. It's marginally better than any ol' roadside motel....maybe better views.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jody A
Reviewed 3 July 2012

To start off, I was not in any way disappointed with the room or the service at Glenn-Burney. The food from the kitchen was great and the staff were friendly and helpful. It just so happened that when my wife and I visited the lodge, there were just a lot of things happening.

On the one hand, there was a lot of construction happening on the beach. The dock was being lengthened and a bar was being built. It lent to the hope that this place would one day be great, but we were unable to experience much of the lakeside atmosphere. Thankfully the, Parry Sound is not too far away, and being familiar with the town, my wife and I got to visit some shops that we frequent often.

On the other hand, the room was fantastic. It had a rustic chic look that was modern and comfortable. Except for the old advertisement poster for Parry Sound's Festival of the Sound that seemed at odds with the rest of the decor, is was well put together. Especially the screened in balcony where we ate breakfast and had coffee.

So, the combination of great food (which I reviewed elsewhere), great views, a great room, and the expectation of a great waterfront when construction is completed, Glenn-Burney Lodge offers the total package in for a relaxing retreat. I would definitely visit again!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2100DAN
Reviewed 15 June 2012

My stay was lovely, thanks in large part to Lois at the front desk, who was amazing.

Unfortunately, the kitchen was closed on the night I was there; disappointing as I had heard so much about the great restaurant. The restaurant also opened late in the morning (8:30), which was too late for me, so Lois kindly offered to bring food for me and leave it in the fridge, which was much appreciated.

The room was lovely - like a very nice cottage. There is lots of rustic charm, and it was very relaxing. I only wish my stay was longer so I could have enjoyed the screened-in porch.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business