“The perfect special occasion place in beautiful Georgian Bay”
Review of Glenn-Burney Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Parry Sound
Glenn-Burney Lodge
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Parry Sound
Toronto, Canada
“The perfect special occasion place in beautiful Georgian Bay”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We recently celebrated my husband's special birthday at Glenn Burney Lodge with 17 of our friends and family. The lodge is beautifully located overlooking the water with rock and pines that make the Northern Ontario landscape so incredible. We arrived in time for drinks on the new patio/bar down at the marina. Excellent fish tacos there too. Then it was oysters and champagne as a prelude to the amazing dinner prepared by the chefs. Local, delicious, healthy and a fab chocolate cake for dessert. After dinner, we danced in the wood paneled lodge surrounded by the amazing collection of guitars and totem poles. Quite the juxtaposition. Sitting around the bonfire on a perfect star filled summer night completed our evening. Our guests from Vancouver, Ottawa, Toronto and Markham all enjoyed their stay there immensely. Lois and the staff are welcoming and cater to every request. The rooms are perfectly in keeping with the rustic surroundings. Check out the newest cabin ...two bedrooms and totally wired with tv, sound system...all the creature comforts. Breakfast the next morning included incredible fresh baked baguette, frittata, french toast, granola and...my husband's favourite, bacon smoked at the Lodge. Lois made sure that we were all medicated with coffee.
Everyone of our guests said that they would return to Glenn Burney Lodge for the beautiful surroundings, the food, the rooms and most importantly first class hospitality. If you are looking for a retreat in beautiful Georgian Bay that is quiet, rustic but you have high standards for food and wine, this is the place. And just over two hours from Toronto.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lovetotravel416

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Toronto Ontario
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I expected for the nearly 200.00$ a night that the room we got would be in better shape. Chipped tub and old furniture made me feel as if I was getting ripped off. Our room was publicized as delux but it definitely wasn't in my books.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kimjan
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We were booked in for a two night stay and after a couple of hours of being here, I realized that one night would be more than enough for me.

Pros:

Lois at the front desk was lovely.

Cons:

Bar fridge in the room didn't work. I specifically asked about a fridge when I booked the reservation as we have two small children. Lois came and said that they would switch out the fridge later the first night and kindly offered to put my ice bag in their walk-in freezer.  I did see many hairs on the bottom of the fridge - which completely put me off. To be honest, I think this is what completely put me off this entire stay.

Remote for tv didn't work. Battery dead??  I had to turn on the tv/change volume and channels by pushingbuttons on top of the tv. (For those of you with kids and want some wind-down time YTV is on channel 25).

Room was small, but appointed. Portable a/c in room. Basket of two "large towels" in the basket-o-goodies. Small bottle of shampoo and conditioner (might be better off bringing your own). Small bar of soap for the sink (and shower, I presume), yet no soap dish to leave soap on sink.

When we ran the shower, there were bubbles in the shower which I HOPE was residue from cleaning solvents, though I fear that it was soap which belonged to whomever used the towel behind the bathroom door!!

Tons of stairs down to the beach. Seriously - so don't forget your sunscreen, hats, etc.  We were told that there is a restaurant at the beach. We arrived in the evening so we cannot speak about the food.

Parking close to the office /restaurant is at a premium.

Many good reviews about this lodge. Unfortunately, I cannot add to them.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Sydjake
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We stayed at Glenn Burney Lodge for three days in the middle of last week. When we first arrived, we were greeted by Florrie who made us feel welcome in the Canadian North. We are from the UK and were visiting relatives near Toronto Canada and were looking to see a bit of the Canadian countryside before returning. Let me tell you, this is the real deal! The grounds are beautifully maintained but they don't betray the essence of this rugged rural terrain. The setting is a mix of steep granite cliffs and sturdy swept pines set on the channel to a huge body of fresh water called Georgian Bay. (Or just "The Bay" to the locals.)

During our stay we were able to get out for a cruise to see the bay itself and surrounding channels. We also took out a canoe (canoes and kayaks are included in the room charge) for a paddle up a nearby river. We didn't do any hiking but apparently there are plenty of trails for those so inclined.

But the best part of the stay was the three nights of dining. We're big fine dining fans and the restaurant is superb. There's some delicious sounding meat selections but we're big seafood lovers and went for the surf selections all three nights. The house smoked Indian Candy is something I've never tried. It's served with creme fraiche on bibb lettuce. The local freshwater fish selections were prepared a number of ways and so fresh they probably could be eaten as sushi!

All in all, a wonderful cap to our trip to Canada. We'll be back this way in two years and hope to book it for a stay with our relatives.

Room Tip: The staff seem to bend over backwards to please and seem to welcome special requests. I suggest not...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Jodi S
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We stayed at Glenn Burney July 17th- 20th. First of all, the staff was very helpful and friendly. Dinner in the dining room was absolutely spectacular. However, we would not go back for a few reasons. We brought 2 seniors with us and the climb to the dock bar is an incredibly long climb. There is virtually no beach. Maybe 15 feet of sand, pictures on the web must have been taken prior to the addition of the dock bar, earlier this month. If you wanted to swim you would be swimming through the boats docked at the marina. Menu at the dock bar is limited to approximately 5 items and the dining room is not open on Tuesdays. There is really nothing to do at this lodge.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Anna C
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here one night, on our way to our cottage. (It's a 7hr drive from our home to our cottage, and we almost always do it in one shot. But we decided to try leaving the night before and staying at a hotel about half way, so we'd arrive sooner the next morning, rested and relaxed.)

We certainly weren't interested in a low-budget, chain motel/hotel, with their floral polyester bedspreads, tiny rooms, and lack of anything special. Based on the good reviews, and decent-looking photographs, I selected this hotel for our little, overnight experiment.

What a waste of time.

It's difficult to write an fair review, since this place is meant to be rustic, and is a lodge, far away from any metropolitan area. Maybe they don't have enough guests willing to pay the kind of price that would allow for better amenities? Maybe they're working towards that? Maybe this is the best they can do? Who knows? For my part, I always look for 5-star (or better), when I stay at hotels, and am a bit disappointed when that's not available. I knew this wouldn't be grand, but it was disappointing, all the same. I had the impression this was one of the better hotels in the area, and my experience there left me questioning if there are any "decent" hotels in this region, at all.

I requested the best available room and, if memory serves me, that was around $160/night or so. What we got was a small, somewhat updated room with a queen sized (!!!) bed, in a cabin-like building, with a bathroom straight out of the 60s (complete with "debris" in the tub), and a television that didn't work. (We watched a bit of television on my iPad, instead.)

There was nothing really "wrong" with the room. It just wasn't very nice. The photographs make it look better than it is.

I can imagine that if your only expectation is a room with a bed, running water, and no pests, then you will find that here. If you're city-bound, and have to stay at a place like this to experience nature, then you may also find this woodsy place charming.

For me, I prefer luxury and amenities. I happily pay for that. But it is seemingly hard to find in this region (besides maybe Muskoka). What we were looking for was a "nice" experience...to make it worth the money and effort, on the way to our own cottage. This place simply had nothing to entice us back.

If the room, especially the bathroom, were a bit nicer, I would give it a 3 out of 5.

Make no mistake. This is not a luxurious, little lodge in the woods. It's marginally better than any ol' roadside motel....maybe better views.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
#11 of 19 in Parry Sound
Grand Tappattoo Resort
Grand Tappattoo Resort
#6 of 19 in Parry Sound

Been to Glenn-Burney Lodge? Share your experiences!