“Granddaughters Sunny Point Getaway”

Sunny Point Resort, Cottages & Inn
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Parry Sound
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We have, for many years, enjoyed a summer vacation week away with our granddaughters, who are now 7 & 9 respectively. The last couple of summers we've stayed at Sunny Point Resort and our girls can't wait to return; in fact they tell us that although they like time away with their parents, at least twice a year, to Great Wolf Lodge they think Sunny Point is better! That is very high compliment from two very active & hard to please girls who, as anyone with children or grandchildren their age knows, must be kept busy & entertained or they're " .. bored."
They loved swimming at the beach, off the dock, and to the water trampoline. Boat rides, the games room, craft sessions and mini-golf, etc, kept them occupied & happy. Our hosts, Andy & Susan were attentive and their hospitality 2nd to none. Our suite at the Inn was spotless, supplied with all the necessary amenities and for us, great value.
Had a great time, evenings were, in fact , quiet & restful when we indulged in a nice glass of wine as our 'Princesses' were usually tuckered out & asleep.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank CanadianCossack
There are newer reviews for Sunny Point Resort, Cottages & Inn

Reviewed 10 August 2011

Well worth the drive from St. Catharines! Our kids loved the trampoline in the lake, tennis courts, beach, game-room, lookout point, and the satellite tv-of course. On our last day there, we discovered that our van had a flat tire. The owners called a few local garages and Andy drove with us to the garage. Great owners, we will return!

Room Tip: Pets are allowed in the cottages but NOT the suites.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Marta K
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We arrived for a weekend getaway. The spot was remote and quiet, which I love. The lake is great for swimming or canoeing. Andy is a great host and very easy going. The rooms are fully loaded (kitchen, pots, utensils, can openers, etc) and you are provided with a various of canoes, boats, etc. Excellent views from the porches and excellent experience all around. I would highly recommend this spot. Well worth the price.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris P
Reviewed 22 January 2011

stayed here for a week and it just was not long enough! We loved everything about Sunny point, you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere but the nearest town is only 15 minute drive away. The resort has everything you need to relax and enjoy, our 2 children aged 4 and 9 had a great time swimming in the lake, diving off the tower and jumping on the water trampoline, and when they weren't doing that they were riding on the free pedalos and canoes available to all guests. The sandy beech was ideal for building sandcastles too. My husband and myself have never been so relaxed on holiday, and in the evenings we used one of the many barbeques and ate our meal soaking up the views and watching the sunset over the lake.
The staff are always on hand for advice and information and nothing is too much for them. I highly recommend this resort to anyone young and old and we will definitely return again!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank ali187064
Reviewed 1 November 2010

I just wanted to say how incredible our stay was at your resort. The cleanliness, facilities, and location were just what we were looking for! I also must say that the term what you see is what you get most certainly applies to your website as well. I had been disappointed by another location previously but with yours there was no misrepresentation at all. Not too mention the added benefits of conveniently located woodsheds with no charge firewood, wonderful rec hall and an optional pontoon boat rental as well. Thanks so much. Craig, Cristiana and friends.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank craiger68
Reviewed 5 October 2010

My new wife and I had the pleasure of staying at Sunny Point Resort for our honeymoon in September. Being nature lovers and fishing enthusiasts Sunny Point offered us exactly what we wanted in a honeymoon.

We stayed in Cottage 5 which is one of their newest cottages. The cottage was immaculately clean and had a modern cottage feel with a spacious kitchen and sitting area and fair sized bedrooms. The view of the private dock and lake was beautiful while also including lots of trees for shade. The sunsets on Otter Lake were spectacular, and Sunny Point is situated at a great vantage point for enjoying them every night.

The atmosphere was perfect for anyone looking to getaway for rest and relaxation. Cottages are spaced far apart providing privacy and we didn't hear or see anyone around us for the 4 days we were there.

The owners were friendly and greeted us as we checked in and then again later that day providing answers to our questions.

If you are looking to get in a game of golf while staying at Sunny Point, I highly recommend Sequin Valley Golf Course which is located about 5 minutes away. It is a challenging course but the design and natural landscape provide breathtaking views down each of the 18 holes.

We had a perfect honeymoon and our only regret was having to leave. Throughout our mini vacation we kept saying how we wished we could have bought the cottage as our home and lived lakeside throughout the year.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bmc2244
Reviewed 1 September 2010

My wife, our five year old daughter and myself had the misfortune of visiting Sunny Point Resort for a planned 5 night stay.

Well, we left after just ONE night.
It was THAT bad.

8) Zero concern for customer satisfaction
9) No brochures or pamphlets in the cottage for area attractions
10) Lousy beach front

The long of it:

We drove up from Toronto and arrived around 7 PM and were out by 10 AM the next morning. (We were required to pay for the full stay upon arrival---before even seeing what proved to be a depressing shack of a cottage).

We wanted to get a taste of the Muskokas and wanted to find a place that was pet-friendly.
(We brought along our two Scottish Terriers).

Sunny Point Resort had advertised (on their web page) that they were, indeed, "pet-friendly".

But how 'pet-friendly' could they be when they have signs posted as you entered the grounds--- (in bold, militaristic type that better suited a work camp from the ‘30’s)--- stating that:

’PETS ARE NOT ALLOWED AT THE OFFICE AND AT THE BEACH'.

So what exactly did they expect us to do with our two dogs while we check in at the office? Leave them in the hot car?

(Certainly we were given a bad feeling when the owner of Sunny Point greeted us---just outside the office--- while we had our two dogs on leashes beside us. He looked peeved at their presence. We were not likely to leave them in a sweltering car after the long drive).

By the way, the Sunny Point 'beach' is a complete joke as it is a miniscule scrub of dirt that looked most uninviting indeed; and in any event: NO DOGS ALLOWED.

Remember again, their selling point was that they were a 'dog friendly' resort.

The potable water was another issue.

We were asked by the owner if we had brought enough drinking water for our stay (we had some) because the water (from the lake) was 'absolutely fine water' (his words) but was likely to make us ill with diarrhea.

Newsflash: that means the water is NOT 'absolutely fine'. (They should at least state this on their web-site).

So washing dishes and brushing our teeth among other things would become an issue.

Then there were the recreational areas.

The children's playground was a joke. It was decrepit and shoddy and full of splinters (child-friendly indeed).
And I would never have believed that it was possible to screw up designing a child’s swing and yet they did (with flying colors!).
It was far too short and looked more like an instrument of torture!

The little mini-putt course was in even worse condition.
Absolutely abandoned and only kept (so that they could claim they had one);
well they don't--- it's a piece of garbage.

There was a haphazardly arranged 'volleyball court' on a patch of dirt and a basketball court best suited to a gulag.

There was virtually nowhere to let our dogs runs off-leash (which was definitely NOT the impression their web page gave us).

(You will notice one of their photos shows a lady handing a treat to a dog swimming up to her against a dock (remember dogs aren't allowed on the beach)---well, that's actually not safe as that dog would not have been able to get onto the dock unless helped.
In other words, it likely would have drowned).

Which brings me to, "drownings".

That was the one thing we were forewarned of by the owner when we asked him what concerns we should have for our family's stay at Sunny Point.

Now I realize that when it comes to staying at any lakeside cottages that water safety is the bleeding obvious (but it shows the utter lack of sensibility on the owner's part).

I think it would be better to have emphasized the need to be sure we were exercising a good sense of water safety at all times; both with our family members as well as our dogs.

(Certainly, at least, this shows the poor personal communication skills the owner displays).

We were expected to clean up the cottage before checking out; this includes doing the dishes.
Well, I don't know about you but I certainly wouldn't trust the last tenants of a cottage to have cleaned dishes well enough to be hygienically safe for use by the next patrons.

And by the way, the dishes that were there were already dirty.

More importantly, this is all for a going rate of $1,500 (with tax) for the 5 night stay; not inexpensive by any means!

We left after ONE night. We did not get our money back because we had to fully pay for the cottage up front.
(There seemed no point in discussing getting some of our money back with the owner; he was clearly NOT interested in customer satisfaction so why would we waste any more time than we already had).

(We wish we had instead gone to Clevelands House or The Delawanna Inn and stay for 3 nights at about the same price).

Do not go to Sunny Point Resort!

It's a miserable, run down enterprise that needs to go out of business.

It was "deliverance" to get out of there.

We will never go there again.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
12  Thank Crappy_The_Penguin
sunnypt, Owner at Sunny Point Resort, Cottages & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2010

As the owners of Sunny Point Resort, it is very difficult for us to respond to such a caustic litany of negative comments much of which are simply not true.
The guests left after one night; this is factual.
The guest surmises that I was angry that he had his dogs on a leash in the parking lot. I didn’t even realize he had his dogs with him until I read this review. And, in any event, this wouldn’t have bothered me. It does bother me that this is his manner of complaint. When I don’t speak, I look angry. When I do speak, he has me saying things I never say. I check in hundreds of people every year. I know what I say. I also know that the guest was very agitated when he checked in and his wife seemed distressed. I thought they may have had a long drive in traffic and quickly processed their arrival.
I greeted the guest the next morning as he exited his minivan by our maintenance building and his reply was, “where is the garbage?” I showed him the container about 30 feet away. He handed me his key and said he was leaving. I was shocked and asked why. He said there was a family issue back home. He said nothing else and this was witnessed by one of my employees who was just as surprised with his actions and manner. With that he abruptly left. I wish I had probed further but he did not appear approachable.
The guest calls a well maintained newly renovated cottage with new kitchen, flooring, appliances, deck and steps to the lake a shack. It looks exactly like the pictures on the internet which were taken 9 months ago. Most of our guests love it. The beach John calls a miniscule scrub of dirt is 138 feet of sand waterfront and about 2,000 square feet beach sand area in size with 2 new decks and steps and an incredible view. The volleyball courts are professional size with a deep sand base with a quality net and surrounded by 18 ft high netting on 3 sides; John calls this haphazardly arranged on a patch of dirt. The guest calls our basketball courts best suited to a gulag. What does this mean? It is a flat, poured concrete base with nets on either end. The guest calls the playground a joke. It is new and double in size from a few years ago with 5 swings, 2 slides, 2 sand play areas, one tower, climbing ropes and 2 benches. We dedicate 80 ft by 60 ft to the playground. Etc.
Pet rules, drinking water and terms are all posted on our web site. The picture of the guest in the water at the dock with her dog is legitimate. It was taken by a 10 year guest and sent to us. We allow pets on 76 of the 84 acres of property. Most other cottage resorts don’t have nearly the amount of property that we do. The water comes from our very clean lake, is treated with a UV filter and tests perfect-we didn’t start the bottled water craze and advise guests to drink bottled water; payment terms are on the web site and sent along with the booking confirmation.
We constantly receive unsolicited emails from guests who have left and wanted to say thank you. None of these appear on trip advisor. Trip Advisor rules prohibit my quoting 3rd party sources which is what these letters represent. From July 30, 2010 to Aug 21, 2010, we received 12 unsolicited thank you letters; this is an incredible amount considering we only have 18 rental units. If I could quote these, I would. I would in fact because they compliment us on all of the areas that the complaining guest mentions.
My wife and I absolutely love Sunny Point. And our guests tell us all the time how much they like it here. Most of our business is repeats. In our 8 years of ownership, we have invested back almost 1 million dollars in capital improvements in our 18 rental unit resort. We have upgraded cottages, added steps, renovated the rec centre, purchased new sheets, towels, mattresses, pillows, blankets, pots and pans, tv’s, added a satellite system in every unit, added roofs, trucks, a new water trampoline, boats, motors, new canoes for every cottage, sofas, kitchens, new fridges at every unit, microwaves, vcr’s, etc. We have a capital items list every year that is mostly driven by guest request and input. Reconstruction of our mini putt on the radar and planned for. (we actually made repairs on the mini putt on the day the guest left as we had 2 other guests mention it earlier in the week; we were aware of some soft areas and they are now in good shape). We are truly sorry that the guests had such a bad feeling about their stay that they felt the need to leave abruptly without discussing their concerns and then post such a negative review. Travel Advisor is a very useful site as I use it myself; however, it seems it can also be a platform for wild exaggeration. We strongly disagree with much of what they say but wish them well in their future vacation stays.
Andy & Susan Vitch, Sunny Point Resort

#12 of 19 in Parry Sound
Sherwood Inn
Sherwood Inn
#2 of 3 in Port Carling

Been to Sunny Point Resort, Cottages & Inn? Share your experiences!