“Perfectly relaxing honeymoon”

Sunny Point Resort, Cottages & Inn
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Parry Sound
Reviewed 5 October 2010

My new wife and I had the pleasure of staying at Sunny Point Resort for our honeymoon in September. Being nature lovers and fishing enthusiasts Sunny Point offered us exactly what we wanted in a honeymoon.

We stayed in Cottage 5 which is one of their newest cottages. The cottage was immaculately clean and had a modern cottage feel with a spacious kitchen and sitting area and fair sized bedrooms. The view of the private dock and lake was beautiful while also including lots of trees for shade. The sunsets on Otter Lake were spectacular, and Sunny Point is situated at a great vantage point for enjoying them every night.

The atmosphere was perfect for anyone looking to getaway for rest and relaxation. Cottages are spaced far apart providing privacy and we didn't hear or see anyone around us for the 4 days we were there.

The owners were friendly and greeted us as we checked in and then again later that day providing answers to our questions.

If you are looking to get in a game of golf while staying at Sunny Point, I highly recommend Sequin Valley Golf Course which is located about 5 minutes away. It is a challenging course but the design and natural landscape provide breathtaking views down each of the 18 holes.

We had a perfect honeymoon and our only regret was having to leave. Throughout our mini vacation we kept saying how we wished we could have bought the cottage as our home and lived lakeside throughout the year.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bmc2244

Reviewed 1 September 2010

My wife, our five year old daughter and myself had the misfortune of visiting Sunny Point Resort for a planned 5 night stay.

Well, we left after just ONE night.
It was THAT bad.

8) Zero concern for customer satisfaction
9) No brochures or pamphlets in the cottage for area attractions
10) Lousy beach front

The long of it:

We drove up from Toronto and arrived around 7 PM and were out by 10 AM the next morning. (We were required to pay for the full stay upon arrival---before even seeing what proved to be a depressing shack of a cottage).

We wanted to get a taste of the Muskokas and wanted to find a place that was pet-friendly.
(We brought along our two Scottish Terriers).

Sunny Point Resort had advertised (on their web page) that they were, indeed, "pet-friendly".

But how 'pet-friendly' could they be when they have signs posted as you entered the grounds--- (in bold, militaristic type that better suited a work camp from the ‘30’s)--- stating that:

’PETS ARE NOT ALLOWED AT THE OFFICE AND AT THE BEACH'.

So what exactly did they expect us to do with our two dogs while we check in at the office? Leave them in the hot car?

(Certainly we were given a bad feeling when the owner of Sunny Point greeted us---just outside the office--- while we had our two dogs on leashes beside us. He looked peeved at their presence. We were not likely to leave them in a sweltering car after the long drive).

By the way, the Sunny Point 'beach' is a complete joke as it is a miniscule scrub of dirt that looked most uninviting indeed; and in any event: NO DOGS ALLOWED.

Remember again, their selling point was that they were a 'dog friendly' resort.

The potable water was another issue.

We were asked by the owner if we had brought enough drinking water for our stay (we had some) because the water (from the lake) was 'absolutely fine water' (his words) but was likely to make us ill with diarrhea.

Newsflash: that means the water is NOT 'absolutely fine'. (They should at least state this on their web-site).

So washing dishes and brushing our teeth among other things would become an issue.

Then there were the recreational areas.

The children's playground was a joke. It was decrepit and shoddy and full of splinters (child-friendly indeed).
And I would never have believed that it was possible to screw up designing a child’s swing and yet they did (with flying colors!).
It was far too short and looked more like an instrument of torture!

The little mini-putt course was in even worse condition.
Absolutely abandoned and only kept (so that they could claim they had one);
well they don't--- it's a piece of garbage.

There was a haphazardly arranged 'volleyball court' on a patch of dirt and a basketball court best suited to a gulag.

There was virtually nowhere to let our dogs runs off-leash (which was definitely NOT the impression their web page gave us).

(You will notice one of their photos shows a lady handing a treat to a dog swimming up to her against a dock (remember dogs aren't allowed on the beach)---well, that's actually not safe as that dog would not have been able to get onto the dock unless helped.
In other words, it likely would have drowned).

Which brings me to, "drownings".

That was the one thing we were forewarned of by the owner when we asked him what concerns we should have for our family's stay at Sunny Point.

Now I realize that when it comes to staying at any lakeside cottages that water safety is the bleeding obvious (but it shows the utter lack of sensibility on the owner's part).

I think it would be better to have emphasized the need to be sure we were exercising a good sense of water safety at all times; both with our family members as well as our dogs.

(Certainly, at least, this shows the poor personal communication skills the owner displays).

We were expected to clean up the cottage before checking out; this includes doing the dishes.
Well, I don't know about you but I certainly wouldn't trust the last tenants of a cottage to have cleaned dishes well enough to be hygienically safe for use by the next patrons.

And by the way, the dishes that were there were already dirty.

More importantly, this is all for a going rate of $1,500 (with tax) for the 5 night stay; not inexpensive by any means!

We left after ONE night. We did not get our money back because we had to fully pay for the cottage up front.
(There seemed no point in discussing getting some of our money back with the owner; he was clearly NOT interested in customer satisfaction so why would we waste any more time than we already had).

(We wish we had instead gone to Clevelands House or The Delawanna Inn and stay for 3 nights at about the same price).

Do not go to Sunny Point Resort!

It's a miserable, run down enterprise that needs to go out of business.

It was "deliverance" to get out of there.

We will never go there again.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
13  Thank Crappy_The_Penguin
sunnypt, Owner at Sunny Point Resort, Cottages & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2010

As the owners of Sunny Point Resort, it is very difficult for us to respond to such a caustic litany of negative comments much of which are simply not true.
The guests left after one night; this is factual.
The guest surmises that I was angry that he had his dogs on a leash in the parking lot. I didn’t even realize he had his dogs with him until I read this review. And, in any event, this wouldn’t have bothered me. It does bother me that this is his manner of complaint. When I don’t speak, I look angry. When I do speak, he has me saying things I never say. I check in hundreds of people every year. I know what I say. I also know that the guest was very agitated when he checked in and his wife seemed distressed. I thought they may have had a long drive in traffic and quickly processed their arrival.
I greeted the guest the next morning as he exited his minivan by our maintenance building and his reply was, “where is the garbage?” I showed him the container about 30 feet away. He handed me his key and said he was leaving. I was shocked and asked why. He said there was a family issue back home. He said nothing else and this was witnessed by one of my employees who was just as surprised with his actions and manner. With that he abruptly left. I wish I had probed further but he did not appear approachable.
The guest calls a well maintained newly renovated cottage with new kitchen, flooring, appliances, deck and steps to the lake a shack. It looks exactly like the pictures on the internet which were taken 9 months ago. Most of our guests love it. The beach John calls a miniscule scrub of dirt is 138 feet of sand waterfront and about 2,000 square feet beach sand area in size with 2 new decks and steps and an incredible view. The volleyball courts are professional size with a deep sand base with a quality net and surrounded by 18 ft high netting on 3 sides; John calls this haphazardly arranged on a patch of dirt. The guest calls our basketball courts best suited to a gulag. What does this mean? It is a flat, poured concrete base with nets on either end. The guest calls the playground a joke. It is new and double in size from a few years ago with 5 swings, 2 slides, 2 sand play areas, one tower, climbing ropes and 2 benches. We dedicate 80 ft by 60 ft to the playground. Etc.
Pet rules, drinking water and terms are all posted on our web site. The picture of the guest in the water at the dock with her dog is legitimate. It was taken by a 10 year guest and sent to us. We allow pets on 76 of the 84 acres of property. Most other cottage resorts don’t have nearly the amount of property that we do. The water comes from our very clean lake, is treated with a UV filter and tests perfect-we didn’t start the bottled water craze and advise guests to drink bottled water; payment terms are on the web site and sent along with the booking confirmation.
We constantly receive unsolicited emails from guests who have left and wanted to say thank you. None of these appear on trip advisor. Trip Advisor rules prohibit my quoting 3rd party sources which is what these letters represent. From July 30, 2010 to Aug 21, 2010, we received 12 unsolicited thank you letters; this is an incredible amount considering we only have 18 rental units. If I could quote these, I would. I would in fact because they compliment us on all of the areas that the complaining guest mentions.
My wife and I absolutely love Sunny Point. And our guests tell us all the time how much they like it here. Most of our business is repeats. In our 8 years of ownership, we have invested back almost 1 million dollars in capital improvements in our 18 rental unit resort. We have upgraded cottages, added steps, renovated the rec centre, purchased new sheets, towels, mattresses, pillows, blankets, pots and pans, tv’s, added a satellite system in every unit, added roofs, trucks, a new water trampoline, boats, motors, new canoes for every cottage, sofas, kitchens, new fridges at every unit, microwaves, vcr’s, etc. We have a capital items list every year that is mostly driven by guest request and input. Reconstruction of our mini putt on the radar and planned for. (we actually made repairs on the mini putt on the day the guest left as we had 2 other guests mention it earlier in the week; we were aware of some soft areas and they are now in good shape). We are truly sorry that the guests had such a bad feeling about their stay that they felt the need to leave abruptly without discussing their concerns and then post such a negative review. Travel Advisor is a very useful site as I use it myself; however, it seems it can also be a platform for wild exaggeration. We strongly disagree with much of what they say but wish them well in their future vacation stays.
Andy & Susan Vitch, Sunny Point Resort

Reviewed 28 August 2010

Let me start by saying that overall we loved our week at Sunny Point and are already planning a return visit for the summer of 2011. Having gotten that out of the way, let me spend a few mins on the good, the bad and the ugly.

The Good:

This place is exactly what it promised to be (and advertised) - a quiet, well-maintained cottage resort and Inn on a beautiful piece of land on Otter Lake - about 10-15 mins south of Parry Sound. (Take Hwy 69 N to the Bowes St exit for shopping at Sobey's, Canadian Tire - lots of fast food if needed and ice cream and chip truck options!) We stayed in one of the cottages, a 3 bedroom unit that also welcomed our 2 dogs. There are 10 cottages for rent here - some seemed very similar but you should check into each one in detail as a couple are very close to the water, a couple much further away (but more private), some had wading in access to the water, while others were more dock-access. Some had a screened in porch, some had decks, etc. There is also an Inn that provides accommodations and a larger cottage near the Inn for rent as well.

Our cottage was simple, but well furnished. Our unit had a recent kitchen upgrade. Everything you need is here - all utensils, cooking items, stove, fridge, BBQ (with backup tank of gas!), dishwasher, coffee maker, microwave, etc. All you need to do is supply the food. (The Sunny Point website does a great job of "what you need to bring").
The bedrooms are small, but you don't tend to spend that much time in there during a beautiful summer week.

The bathroom is also small, but the shower worked well - lots of hot water.

The cottage included a simple TV and Satellite TV service with lots of channels for some downtime or if you're hit with some rain. Each unit also has a DVD/VCR - so we made it a habit of watching a movie each night. (We brought from home, but you can borrow from the Inn as well)

Weekly rentals include an aluminum fishing boat with an 8 HP motor and one full tank of gas. The boat was great - and allowed for our family to go on a tour daily - and for the boys and I to do some fishing every night before dusk. 8 HP isn't a lot of power to get you around - but just fine for some lazy cruising to a fishing site, or down to the marina. (Worms are $4 from the Inn - and the fishing was great!)

The cottages also include a fibreglass canoe - these seemed quite new, were nice and light and in very good condition. We loved canoeing in the bay in early morning with the mist still hanging on the lake and not a ripple of activity on the lake's surface.

The resort provides all the lifejackets, paddles, etc - they even have a couple of camp chairs to use on the dock.

The resort also has some common facilities for all to enjoy - 2 tennis courts, a volleyball court, basketball court, horseshoe pitch, children's playground, recreation centre with ping pong and some video games, a 9-hole mini-putt course, and some nature trails. There is also a small common beach area and a water trampoline, swimming area, and 1 and 2-man kayaks to borrow and use near the main lodge. Finally, if your teenage kids can't do without their email access for a week, there is a room with satellite connectivity at the main lodge that will provide the internet access for your laptop. This combination of activities (along with their bikes) certainly kept the 2-14 year old boys completely busy over the week.

It is worth mentioning, that as a 'pet-friendly' resort, they are very accommodating to these special members of our family. They provided lots of extra towels, sheets, etc - understanding that some of us 'spoil' our pets by allowing them on the furniture, beds, etc. and so we could protect the furniture for the next guests with the sheets, etc.

The Bad:

There really aren't any "bad" things at the resort, but in keeping with the theme, I will comment on some things that to us, were a little 'disappointing'.

The resort makes no secret of this, but there are NO outdoor fires on the premises. Apparently, a guest in years gone by burned down one of the cottages and ever since, the resort has not insured the property for any outdoor burning. While I can understand the sensitivity around this, summertime and camping/cottaging isn't quite the same without a fire to enjoy once darkness falls. Each cottage does come with a woodstove - but it's an internal fire only and has the downside of heating up your sleeping space. I'd like to think there is a safe way to resolve this dilemma......if not providing a fire pit for each cottage, what about a common fire pit on the property where all guests could come to enjoy a fire together - and the management could 'supervise' the fire? It didn't spoil our stay by any means, but was a 'missing'. While boating back near dusk most nights, other cottagers on the lake were enjoying fires lakeside and the picture and smell reminded us of what we were missing.

The beds in the cottage were a bit 'dated'. Both my wife and I developed some nagging back pain over the week that we assume was from the soft bed - that sunk a bit in the middle, pulling both of us toward the middle each night. This was not a problem for the kids at all.

While most of the facilities are in great shape, the mini-golf course has unfortunately seen much better days. The 9 hole course is made from wooden frames wrapped in astro-turf, but the weather has really beaten these down. There are some rough soft spots, and obstacles that are now impassable. Again, not a huge complaint or anything - our kids took it as an additional challenge in playing the course, but an update here is certainly in order.

The Ugly:

The only thing we could come up with here was the disappointment over the cost for a tube ride. Twice a week, the resort owners offer tube rides for $45 for a 15 min ride (and their tube will hold 3 riders). Now maybe we're not overally experienced with this, but that charge simply seems excessive to us. 15 mins for $45???!! I can't imagine the boat using much more than a few litres of gas in this timeframe......I'm all for people making a fair profit for service, but the resort isn't cheap, so the $45 feels a bit like a gouge. As a result, we did not take advantage of the service (to the disappointment of our 2 14 yr old boys).

All to say, it was a great stay - and the 4 stars are well earned. Maybe I should have used "The Great, The Good, and the Mildly Disappointing" more appropriately as my titles - but nothing should keep you away from this place. The owners are very hands on and great to deal with - it is easy to see that they love this place, and you will too.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
9  Thank harvman
Reviewed 11 August 2010

Stayed here for the first time. We went with our teenage son and he was never bored (amazing!) They have so much to do in doors or out which was great because you never know if it might rain. The mini putt is dated but they're going to fix that up Yeah!
We stayed in the lodge and brought food so we had no problems, everything we needed was there including use of BBQ if you want. Best of all, all the activities are included in the price (except for tubing, and motor boat - unless you get a cottage).
We absolutely loved our stay, the owners are awesome so friendly and accomodating the place is peaceful. Active or relaxing depending on what you like, you can laze on the muskoka chairs on the beach or jump on the water trampoline. We will definitely be going back and be recommending this place to our friends.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank goodtogo_64
Reviewed 22 June 2010

We enjoyed our first stay here so much that we came back a few days later for another one! Looking to add a few days in cottage country to our stay in Toronto, we came across this resort on Trip Advisor and chose it because it offered small enough accommodation for just us two, although it has cottages that cater for families and large groups as well. It also had satellite TV (vital for the World Cup) and even wireless internet. The owners were marvellous, full of tips and suggestions of where to go and what to do locally, although once you are here the temptation is to stay put and use the full range of equipment (motor boats, canoes, pedalloes) to explore the beautiful, tranquil Otter Lake. We felt very Canadian as we made our first canoe trip. Recommended wholeheartedly.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank golsonic
Reviewed 12 September 2009

I've been staying with this resort 3 or 4 years in a row (lost count actually), and in fact it's not even the record - some people I met there have been going down to Sunny Point for 12-14 years in a row, all the way from Hamilton, mind you! Every single friend of ours we took there said it was the best place they stayed at so far and asked to come with us the next year.

Amenities are nice and 'all inclusive' - two tennis courts in very decent condition are available, separate building with various indoor games (two table tennis tables, air hockey, pool table, some arcade games), a small volleyball court and a minigolf (beware of moskitoes in the summer though - the minigolf is in the shaded area so don't forget to bring the bug repellent with you, as you would normally would in summer in Muskoka area).

They have a few cottages (at which I never stayed though) and an Inn right at the lake (at which I've been staying all the time). My favorite suite to stay in is Rosseau - 2 bdrm corner suite on the main floor with walk-out patio, private BBQ, awesome view on the lake & docks (simply priceless if you have the kids - you can actually relax on the patio sipping a beer and chewing on the steak while still keeping an eye on the young ones - they normally would hang out in the dock area on the trampoline). The owners maintain the property in really good shape - every time I'm back, I'm seeing either the new carpets on the unit floors, steps to the dock redone & renovated, new small nice things here and there. The sandy beach (which is right next to the docks) had two bins full of toys to play with this year!

Canoes, kayaks, etc are available (again, included in the price). Please, do go out canoeing, especially early in the morning (8-10am) - most of the ppl are still asleep and if the day is calm, the canoe ride is smth you'd never forget. The resort is at the end of the lake, so even during day time there are not too many motorboats around, but in the morning it's even quieter than that.

Another worthwhile thing to try (which I actually tried the first time this year) is the Sauna. For some reason not too many people are using it (or probably even aware of it), but it might be a really nice addition to your vacation - the sauna is very clean, has separate shower.

Yet another worthwhile thing to mention is the proximity of the Parry Sound - it's within 15-20 minute ride. The store in there (Longos I believe) is actually open on holidays, like labor or canada day, so it's very easy to fetch food or drinks if you run out in the middle of the party.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank volenin
Reviewed 11 September 2008

We have been to many resorts over the years, in this area. We have never had such wonderful accomodations. It was more like being in a summer home, than a cottage.Super clean. There were less squeaks in the floor, than in our home. The deck was huge,with plenty of Muskoka chairs. The BBQ was fairly new and in good shape.There are plenty of activities, to do,such as billiards, ping pong,shuffle board.Also, the resort is so quiet.The owners are quite freindly and courteous,and are willing to help if you need it.Thanks again for a wonderful vacation. KEVIN AND DENISE

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parry Sound
#12 of 19 in Parry Sound
Rocky Crest Golf Resort
Rocky Crest Golf Resort
#28 of 56 in Muskoka District

Been to Sunny Point Resort, Cottages & Inn? Share your experiences!