“Can't wait to stay at the hotel again!”

Travelodge Owen Sound ON
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Owen Sound
Reviewed 15 February 2011

We stayed 31st Jan to 7th Feb 2011, check-in was faultless! All the staff made me and my boyfriend welcomed from the moment we walked through the door!
We had no problems with anything at the hotel, comfortable, clean and just what we wanted!
The rooms were quiet and often we saw a truck or two outside our room, but not once did we hear them leave!
We asked for information on Owen Sound and we were given directions/maps.
Would we stay here again? Most definately! Thoroughly enjoyed our time staying at this hotel and look forward to returning!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 February 2011

We stayed (me and my sports team of teenage boys) at the Travelodge this past Friday night - I had 6 rooms booked for our team. From start to finish the staff at the hotel treated us well - quick efficient check in for all of us in less then 10 minutes. NIce clean spacious rooms. I did not see any evidence of what some negative reviewers said about this hotel. Yes it is a budget hotel with minor issues (some marks is walls, age here and there), but overall this is a well run clean hotel.

While we were there they were updating all of the TV's in the hotel to 32 " Flat Screen LCDs. The beds seemed very new and super comfortable. The continental breakfast was excellent and there seemed to be lots for the all of the boys I had with me. Nice breakfast seating area. Good location - close to where we were going and near many restaurants including Tim Hortons right across the street.

I usually stay at the Comfort Inn across the road, but thought I would try the Travelodge this year (mainly because it was $30 per night cheaper) Glad I took the chance - since this was every bit as good as the Comfort Inn (which I also would recommend) but with a savings for the kids.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 4 August 2010

I thought Travelodge was supposed to offer clean basic rooms, but what we got was dirty and run down.

First of all: the room wasn't clean. We found stale food on the counter from an earlier guest and what looked like someone's snot smeared on the bathtub and toilet. Best of all were the bedsheets which had crumbs in them. I thought washing sheets between guests was the law!

The room was well worn and in need of some repairs. The cocking in the bathroom was old and brown with mold and the laminate counter was water damaged and peeling. Also: the air conditioner sounded like a jet engine when you turned it on.

The worst thing was the beds. Besides the crumbs, the sheets hadn't been replaced in forever. They were all balled up like they'd been used since the place opened.

The lousy sheets and the cleanlyness got me paranoid about bedbugs and I couldn't get any sleep at all.

I should have just spent the extra $10 and gone to one of the other hotels in town.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank DrMullet
Reviewed 23 June 2010

Stayed one night for a local family gathering. Thought the room rate of $119 meant the hotel had perhaps been updated, but quickly found that it was not the case.

Check in was interesting to say the least. The clerk made sure I knew she was frazzled. At least it was swift -- see my notes on checkout below.

Lobby and hallways are dated in decor. There are exposed wires (phone, cable and electrical) running around the reception desk and stairwells. Surely not to code.

The room was a dark, dingy first-floor room with patio doors to the back parking lot (as we had our dog with us, this was our only option). First impression as soon as I walked in was that the room was smoky. An air freshener on top of the closet confirmed that the hotel is well aware of the stink.

The room has a microwave and fridge. There is NOT a remote for the TV, and there's no way to get fresh air in the room (the fresh air dial is removed from the antiquated HVAC unit, which was so grungy and dirty we hardly wanted to touch it). Air conditioning did not work. No screen on the door, so it had to stay closed.

Ceiling, walls, light switches, and doors are filthy, marked up and scraped. Furniture in the room was worn out and filthy. The covers on the beds had a lot of easily visible stains, and blankets had cigarette burns. There were a whopping two tiny pillows on each queen bed.

The bathroom was no better. The bathroom fan made the room MORE smoky when it was on. Tub is filthy and stained, and the towel rack of thin worn out towels is rusty. The water control was falling off the wall.

Checkout took -- no exaggeration -- 15 minutes. "New system", said the clerk. I was in a hurry and would have appreciated a simple apology for the delay, as would the 6 other people in line, but no dice.

Frankly, the place is a dive, disguised by its moderately high pricing (for motels) and its affiliation with the Travelodge name. Hotel management needs to re-invest some money into updating rooms and the ventilation system, as well as a few other things. There are certainly nicer options available in Owen Sound at comparable prices.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank McMarshal
Reviewed 5 May 2010

Booked three nights here and within 15 minutes of arrival had booked my next two nights elsewhere.
My first room STUNK of stale smoke, and didn't have the pre-promised fridge. So I requested another "non-smoking" room with with a fridge, hoping that the stink of the first room was an anomaly. Sadly, my hopes were dashed. The second room also stunk of stale smoke - clearly they don't, and haven't ever, enforced the non-smoking rule.
Aside from that, there was brown goo smeared on the alarm clock which I can only pray was chocolate, there was a pubic hair in the fridge, and one of my towels was stained with brown... something. Needless to say, I waited to shower until I got into the new hotel. ::shudder::
Overall I felt the place was terribly unclean and I can't even say I felt very safe there (lots of rubbie-dub people hanging around drinking, inside and out). For less than $10 extra per night I moved half a block down the street into a much, much better establishment.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank TippyTourist
Reviewed 20 December 2009

I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel.
I went on a business trip to Owen Sound and as soon as I arrived in town I found this hotel in a very appealing location.
Front desk staff was friendly and helpful with my questions about the city.
Wireless internet connection is a must have service for me with work and their connection was superb.
The room was clean and the bed was comfortable.
Overall, this is the best accomodation in town for its value and I'm looking forward to my next visit

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 December 2009

I recently stayed at the Travelodge in Owen Sound and I had a fantastic time. Great town with polite people. The rate was the cheapest in town. The location was perfect with a Tim Hortons just right across the street. The restaurants and mall were of walking distance. The rooms were clean and comfortable setting. My favourite part of my stay was the continential breakfast. I love the smell of fresh waffles in the morning. The staff were friendly and informative. The wireless internet worked perfectly I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Owen Sound

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
#1 of 4 in Wiarton
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#1 of 4 in Southampton

Been to Travelodge Owen Sound ON? Share your experiences!