“Great Atmosphere and staff... pretty good coffee too...”
Review of The River Cafe - CLOSED

The River Cafe
Price range: US$3 - US$13
Cuisines: Healthy, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Takeout
Description: BEST CAFE in Owen Sound. Custom espresso beverages, coffee or tea made by our skilled baristas. Fantastic European style atmosphere, original 14' restored tin ceiling in vintage building. Exposed brick wall, cozy fireplace seating with wing chairs, marble tables and old maple floor. Homemade soup, fresh from scratch baking, unique and delicious sandwiches. A big smile and friendly greeting are always complimentary! *GLUTEN FREE* *DAIRY FREE* *VEGETARIAN* *VEGAN*
Reviewed 2 December 2013

OK, While online I was looking for a decent coffee or even breakfast. I'm usually a coffee and muffin breakfast type but sometimes like eggs and bacon sit down also. This is more of the coffee and chat place and I did stay for a latte and a gluten free brownie. The coffee was good and the brownie edible (gluten free stuff usually taste awful, so I guess it's the gluten that gives things flavour...) any way, the look of the place is unique, it's the kind of style that hipsters do well, but no body wants to admit.

They have a few nice couches and a fire place as well as regular tables. There are magazines and books to read if you like or you can join your friends for a chat over coffee and snacks. I can't say anything about the food because I didn't stay for lunch, but it looks like a clean place.

The staff are really nice and welcoming. I get the sense that this is a place for locals or those that are familiar. Almost like 'Cheers' except coffee instead of beer. Overall I would recommend it at least once to see if it's the right place for you. I would go back if I get the chance.

Happy Travels.

1  Thank James A

Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

I had lunch here and found it no better than average. I had Greek salad wit souvlaki and the salad was fine but the chicken was not good. It appears that this place would be better suited for a coffee and muffin rather than lunch.

My biggest disappointment was the Flies that were flying around me while eating. This was a real turn off.

Next time I will come for breakfast.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

Husband and I had to great and flavourful sandwiches, drinks and shared Nanaimo bar. Very friendly owner. Great spot for lunch.

6  Thank Judie D
Reviewed 24 April 2013

A wonderful little place, with a cozy atmosphere and beautiful local art.
The friendly service and good conversation makes you feel like you've come home.
Home made soups like butternut squash and roasted garlic and delicious fresh salads make it a great place for lunch and home made muffins, cookies, bars and other ( some gluten free, and healthy) for a scrumptious treat. A great menu with a variety of sandwiches and wraps to please anyone.
Best coffee in town a variety of styles and kinds and flavours from fresh brewed to French press. Latte to frappe. Ice tea or old fashioned cream soda.
The river cafe has something to satisfy almost any mood.

6  Thank Shade72581
Reviewed 16 April 2013

If you enjoy a good cup of coffee and find yourself in Owen Sound then please go to the River Cafe. I stop there whenever I am in town and I am never disappointed.

4  Thank elaine g