“Back in Time”

Ranked #3 of 33 things to do in Owen Sound
More attraction details
Owner description: Grey Roots Museum & Archives is a multi-faceted attraction that preserves and promotes the cultural and heritage traditions of Grey County. Innovative and informative interpretive programs and demonstrations, rotating exhibits, a heritage village, archival resources and superior customer service create an exciting and educational visitor experience.
Reviewed 4 June 2014

They have done a lot of loving and thoughtful work putting together this attraction. It is a work in progress as they are planning on building a church for the pioneer village this year. I also enjoyed being able to look up on their in-house computer the resting place of your Grey County ancestors.
I am hoping to return there this summer with some of my grandchildren. Some attractions in keeping with their authenticity were not wheelchair accessible. Ladies washroom had handicapped stall but I don't think the entry to the washroom itself was wheelchair friendly.

greyrootsmuseum, Public Relations Manager at Grey Roots Museum & Archives, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you very much for taking time to review Grey Roots! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at the museum and that you plan to return soon. We endeavour to make the museum facility and Heritage Village as accessible as possible for all visitors. I'll be inquiring further on how to improve our accessibility based on your comments. We look forward to your next visit!

Best Regards,

Lara Javalyn
Community Relations Coordinator

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

It was a lovely museum. It cost us $18.00 to get in ($8 + tax ea.) but it was worth it. We were confused at first of where to go but my husband asked and the staff were more than happy to help. We saw an IMAX movie and a new Deep Sea exhibition. I liked that it wasn't busy when we went--only one other couple. I hope they have more business in the summer though! You should go!

1  Thank Jc07ym

Thank you very much for taking time to review Grey Roots! We are glad you enjoyed our new summer exhibits and movie in the Theatre. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Lara Javalyn
Community Relations Coordinator

Reviewed 28 February 2014

A very well-organized museum complete with outbuildings including an Anishinabe wigwam, a pioneer village with smithy and sawmill and an early 20th-century garage with classic vehicles.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

I visited the Grey Roots Museum & Archives for the first time on Sunday. I'm a fan of open-air living history museums, and would rate this as one of the most impressive and enjoyable that I've experienced. The staff - not sure whether they were simply enthusiastic and knowledgeable volunteers or paid professionals - did a superb job of animating the colourful history of Grey County.

1  Thank Synthescaper
Reviewed 1 August 2013

My husband and I love this museum, we are annual members and have taken in many of the exhibits and special events (We really loved the Valentine event this year and plan to make it a annual event) The staff have a vast knowledge of the history and are very friendly always ready with a story. The exhibits cover a wide range of topics and are changed often so there is always something new to see. The village is great and has a lot of history to share. We both love coming to the museum and are planning to take visiting family when they visit this summer. Keep up the good work and we will continue to attend.

1  Thank Sharon A