“Garlic overload!”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Toronto
“Garlic overload!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

After our orders were taken we were served complimentary baked popovers with a red pepper aioli. The aioli was powerfully garlicky – more garlicky than garlic, I joked - but who doesn't like garlic, so we dug in and laughed about how we would end up reeking from it all.

And then it stopped being amusing.

My wife’s Caesar salad was also overpoweringly garlicky. So was my Georgian White Fish and her Fishmonger pasta bowl. Great chunks of garlic covered the fish and the honey-glazed carrots, and while the Fishmonger pasta to its credit was overflowing with seafood, so too was it overflowing with big chunks of garlic.

Our palates were blitzed, stunned, put out of commission, unable to detect anything but nearly-raw garlic. It is hard to understand how the kitchen staff believes that such a heavy hand is appropriate; it was near-amateur and I can only assume that the usual kitchen oversight was missing that night.

I have never experienced anything like it before and I will never experience it again at Villa Nina as there’s no way we’d return.

3 Thank MattToronto
zoomzoomzoom11, Owner at Villa Nina Bistro, responded to this review, 25 September 2015
AWWWWWWwwwww its our job to chase the Vampires away....all the best....Nina

Owen Sound, Canada
“Um, tongs maybe?”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Our meals were well meaning but average (the appetizer was good), our waiter was well meaning but it was his first day, so we cut him some slack, e.g. for having to ask the hostess how to fulfill my wife's request for a glass of water. The problem, and I don't know why I didn't say anything at the time -- Canadian politeness I guess -- the problem was when the hostess reached into the ice bucket for ice cubes, USING HER HAND. That's so not cool in the restaurant biz.

2 Thank rgdaniel
Ontario
“Great food, freshly prepared!”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

What a great little restaurant in downtown Owen Sound! I happened to stumble across it online and decided to give it a try when we made our next trip up to Owen Sound. Server was friendly and helpful, food was delicious. If you start with an appetizer you are guaranteed a great lunch the next day as serving sizes are generous.
They start you out with freshly baked buns served with a garlic aioli. I had the daily creation soup and Fire Grilled Chevapi with roasted red pepper dip. My husband had the Chevapi appetizer (yes, we love Chevapi) and one of the specials, a Schnitzel topped with a delicious fresh pepper sauce. Roasted rosemary potatoes and honeyed carrots on the side.
Two thumbs up! Don't settle for cookie cutter chain places and the processed food they offer when this kind of local, freshly prepared fare is available.

1 Thank OntarioKwin
London, Canada
“Fine dinning comes to Owen Sound”
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Wow!

Never expected the quality and service that this place offers.

Only about 25 seats. Small and very focused on the customer

I had the special of the day - chicken Dianne. Wow, it was incredible. One of the best flavours I have had.

My partner had great pasta something.

She said it was one of the best pasta dishes she has had.

Here is one for you - look for the typo in the wine list. Once you find it, ask about it.

I would like to suggest that they get some better wines. I think people would pay a bit more for better wines.

1 Thank dan459us
Owen Sound, Canada
“a gem”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stumbled on this place on a Sunday evening, when everything else is closed in downtown Owen Sound for some reason. What a pleasant surprise. Food was excellent, we had the best mussels ever! A lot of selection, everything we tried was great. Service was efficient and friendly, prices very reasonable. Atmosphere was lacking, would have been better if they had adjusted the lighting for dinner. However, I would highly recommend you give this place a try!

• Visited March 2014