“Delicious food, huge portions”
Review of Villa Nina Bistro

Villa Nina Bistro
Ranked #11 of 105 Restaurants in Owen Sound
Cuisines: European, Seafood, Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Several of us were in town, from afar, on family business. Our B&B hosts told us of this place, right downtown, so we gave it a try. What a find! The food was delicious, flavourful, well prepared and presented. Each entree was probably big enough for two people, but were so good that we all polished off our plates. Salads, steak, schnitzel,, seafood, chicken, fondue - it didn't matter - everything was wonderful!!! The only reason I didn't give this place 5 stars is that it is small and diner-like. Otherwise, put it on your list to try.

1  Thank Patrick T

Reviewed 30 July 2014

After our orders were taken we were served complimentary baked popovers with a red pepper aioli. The aioli was powerfully garlicky – more garlicky than garlic, I joked - but who doesn't like garlic, so we dug in and laughed about how we would end up reeking from it all.

And then it stopped being amusing.

My wife’s Caesar salad was also overpoweringly garlicky. So was my Georgian White Fish and her Fishmonger pasta bowl. Great chunks of garlic covered the fish and the honey-glazed carrots, and while the Fishmonger pasta to its credit was overflowing with seafood, so too was it overflowing with big chunks of garlic.

Our palates were blitzed, stunned, put out of commission, unable to detect anything but nearly-raw garlic. It is hard to understand how the kitchen staff believes that such a heavy hand is appropriate; it was near-amateur and I can only assume that the usual kitchen oversight was missing that night.

I have never experienced anything like it before and I will never experience it again at Villa Nina as there’s no way we’d return.

3  Thank MattToronto
zoomzoomzoom11, Owner at Villa Nina Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2015

AWWWWWWwwwww its our job to chase the Vampires away....all the best....Nina

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Our meals were well meaning but average (the appetizer was good), our waiter was well meaning but it was his first day, so we cut him some slack, e.g. for having to ask the hostess how to fulfill my wife's request for a glass of water. The problem, and I don't know why I didn't say anything at the time -- Canadian politeness I guess -- the problem was when the hostess reached into the ice bucket for ice cubes, USING HER HAND. That's so not cool in the restaurant biz.

2  Thank rgdaniel
Reviewed 19 July 2014

What a great little restaurant in downtown Owen Sound! I happened to stumble across it online and decided to give it a try when we made our next trip up to Owen Sound. Server was friendly and helpful, food was delicious. If you start with an appetizer you are guaranteed a great lunch the next day as serving sizes are generous.
They start you out with freshly baked buns served with a garlic aioli. I had the daily creation soup and Fire Grilled Chevapi with roasted red pepper dip. My husband had the Chevapi appetizer (yes, we love Chevapi) and one of the specials, a Schnitzel topped with a delicious fresh pepper sauce. Roasted rosemary potatoes and honeyed carrots on the side.
Two thumbs up! Don't settle for cookie cutter chain places and the processed food they offer when this kind of local, freshly prepared fare is available.

1  Thank OntarioKwin
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Wow!

Never expected the quality and service that this place offers.

Only about 25 seats. Small and very focused on the customer

I had the special of the day - chicken Dianne. Wow, it was incredible. One of the best flavours I have had.

My partner had great pasta something.

She said it was one of the best pasta dishes she has had.

Here is one for you - look for the typo in the wine list. Once you find it, ask about it.

I would like to suggest that they get some better wines. I think people would pay a bit more for better wines.

1  Thank dan459us