“Best Food & Atmosphere on the Bruce”
Review of Elsie's Diner

Elsie's Diner
Ranked #6 of 106 Restaurants in Owen Sound
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Elsie's Diner is a 50's style licensed full service 64 seat diner incorporating the 50's style in both decor as well as food selection. Our diner provides old fashioned home style meals using fresh local ingredients for eat in or take out. From the moment you enter Elsie's Diner you feel like you are stepping back in time. Customers can sit in a booth or a stool at the counter, enjoy our great 50's music and order a meal that they know is made fresh in our kitchen using local ingredients. Our menu includes many old fashioned favorites like mac and cheese, meatloaf and burgers as well as floats, malt shakes and banana splits. There are plenty of nostalgic signs and memorabilia to look at while they enjoy their meal or they can play the 50's trivia card game set at each table. A casual fun place to eat great home style food.
Reviewed 19 August 2014

You cannot do any better for a wonderful meal and awesome atmosphere in Bruce County, than Elsie's Diner! Decked out in all 50's style glory with black and white flooring, booths and chrome tables, all sorts of memorabilia from that era, and the waitresses in their retro clothes. It is a bright, clean, extremely friendly place to eat a meal. The milkshakes and floats are so delicious! Whatever you are in the mood for, you can surely find it on the extensive menu; burgers, fries, liver and onions, fish and chips, pizza, pasta, superb grilled cheeses and much more! We have eaten there for breakfast and twice for dinner and each time we come away satisfied not just with the delicious fare, but also the service. The beef for their burgers is from the local area and is not frozen; you can tell the difference. My boyfriend and I ate there this past Sunday for dinner; he had the James Dean Burger (which included an onion ring on it) and I had the grilled cheese with slices of granny smith apples in it. Prices quite reasonable for the portion sizes. You really must go and try it out!

1  Thank 1crazycatlady

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Friends of ours told us about this relatively new restaurant in town and today we finally got to eat here.WHAT A TREAT!The restaurant is reminiscent of a 50's style eatery with comfortable booths,chrome tables for 4-5 people,a soda/ice cream fountain and decor that my wife and I remember from our youth.The music that is playing (not blaring) we could sing along with and understand the words-unlike today's music.The place is immaculately clean which is a MUST on our list.We originally stopped in for ice cream but looked at the large menu and decided to stay for supper.GREAT DECISION!Brooke waited on us and explained the specials and the bottomless soft drink/coffee feature.My wife ordered the fish and chips and I ordered the liver and onions+bacon.Both dishes came with a salad (coleslaw or carrot with raisins)The meals arrived in good time and hot-most welcomed.There was more than ample food on the plates,the french fries looked hand cut and the coffee was delicious (I had 2 cups). On our next visit we will try the desserts which look very nice and fattening.One last thing is that the meats served at Elsie's Diner is from local sources as is the ice cream (Chapman's in Markdale).I like a place that sources locally.I wish more places would do this.The servings were so big we had to bring home the balance in a doggy bag.Our total bill,less tip,was $31.00.Great value and service. There is also a Breakfast Club Card that gets punched each time you have coffee there.After 6 coffee punches the 7th is free.A group of 6 friends from work and I meet somewhere else every week for coffee.I am sure that I will have no trouble relocating to Elsie's Diner in the Fall.Parking is free without any 2 hour time limit like in town.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Great friendly service. Very good food, interest decor. Went with a two tables of people and they more than accommodated all of us with no reservation. I have terminal cancer and the girls at Elsie's Dinner wrote me a beautiful note and gave me a t-shirt what a sweet
Thing to do.

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Went for supper and enjoyed both the food and bright clean look of the restaraunt. The wait staff were helpfull.
Will be back soon.

1  Thank anrag
Reviewed 5 June 2014

What a pleasant surprise. An old friend recommended this restaurant and we were thrilled. This is a family owned, 50's themed establishment offering breakfast, dinner and supper. All home cooked meals using local meat and produce as available. Very bright, nicely decorated, very clean and friendly efficient staff. Had lunch and it was excellent. Food is Diner fare, and good. We will go back for sure. This is a great little gem.

1  Thank DonJ532