“Did he just say that???”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newmarket
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Newmarket
Reviewed 8 July 2014

First of all, I tried to call the hotel to book our room back in May. But I was told that I was not able to book with someone in person, that I had to book on-line because I was using a CAA card. Never heard of that in my life. So I booked on-line. Our check in was the most horrible check in I've ever had. I wanted to pay for my room in cash. When I booked on-line, I used a credit card to reserve the room. But I did not want the charge to go through on my card. So I asked if I could pay cash. The lady at the front desk told me Yes, I could pay cash. She asked for photo ID and a valid credit card. When I asked about why they still needed a credit card, they said that I couldn't check in without one. Now we've travelled a lot (Canada, USA, Europe) and I know you need a credit card to make the reservation, but I've never had a place tell me that I still had to provide a valid credit card when I checked in, even though I wanted to pay cash. So I told her that I didn't want to use my credit card. She said that it was for the security deposit. I said Fine, I'll give her the cash, and I'll get it in the morning when I leave. That wasn't good enough. The manager stepped in and told me flat out that in order to check in, I HAD to have a credit card. I decided it wasn't worth arguing about, and went to get the card from my husband. When I brought it back, because it was in his name, they wouldn't accept it unless he was there. So I had to go back (my kids are still in the car at this point and we'd been travelling for a majority of the day) and tell him to go and finish. He goes in, and they proceed to ask him for ID. He ask's why, and they said to verify the name on the card. At this point, he's getting upset. They've already ID'd me. All we wanted to do was pay cash. That's it. So he showed them ID, and asked why all the fuss. The manager proceeded to tell him that murderers' (yes...he said murderer's) have tried to stay here using stolen credit cards. My husband was shocked. And he asked the guy if this was a regular occurance...do they always have theives and murderer's trying to stay at the hotel? The manager blundered over his words, and then went quiet. Then, when my husband told the manager to never mind about the cash, and put the room on the credit card, he gave him a hard time. (Didn't we just tell them we wanted to pay cash, and now when we decide to use the credit card, they are refusing, and want the cash???) So my husband got extremely frustrated, and asked why they won't use the credit card, and he was told 'because there is a 4-5 day hold on the cash and we don't want to wait that long for payment'. I was horribly disgusted. I'll never suggest to anyone to stay at that hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank World_travellor79
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newmarket, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear World_travellor79,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the service you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned from an overnight stay to attend a party in Aurora. The desk staff were very friendly & helpful . Although no frills ( plastic cups only ), the room was very clean, and enjoyed the free WIFi. The BEST was the comfortable bed & pillows! We have stayed in mainly upscale hotels and we both agreed that the bed was heavenly! All in all great price & served our purpose well. Unfortunately we missed breakfast & room didn't have the coffee maker pot ..minor inconvenience. Would stay there again or other holiday in. express in future .

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank julsblas1
HolidayInn N, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newmarket, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2015

Thank you for the feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We regret that portions of it fell below your expectations.
We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests; therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We arrived in Newmarket 5 hours early due to a very early flight. After driving around for about an hour we decided to chance asking if we could check in 4 hours early. The service at the desk was absolutely fantastic. He was completely understanding, and did everything he could to find us a room that was ready (which he was able to). The rooms are great - they have a fridge, coffee maker, and microwave. Lots of space. Beds were comfortable and seemed new and fresh. Quite clean, although I did find a few pieces of garbage (a wrapper and a lid to something like hairspray) under the bathroom counter when I bent down to pick something up I had dropped. Quiet location, too. Also, it had a modern large HD flat screen LG TV which we plugged an HDMI cable into and connected our laptop and watched netflix when we were in our room. All in all, I will absolutely stay here again when I visit Newmarket again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Your comments are very important to us and we will continue to improve the quality of our services.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose IHG for your future travel needs.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

My family had three rooms here for my son's graduation and we were very comfortable. There's not a lot to choose form in Newmarket but we lucked out with this one. The night staff were very accommodating and friendly. I think his name was Mubarak. Rooms were clean and functional and breakfast was perfectly acceptable. If I go back to Newmarket I will always stay here!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and we are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to your next visit with us.

Best Regards

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I have stayed here a number of times and always found it extremely clean and check in was always quick and the desk clerk very friendly. Close to many fast food options as well as shopping. A little pricey for being so far from Toronto.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for the feedback. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations. Your comments are very important to us. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

This is a fairly new Holiday Inn. The staff was friendly and knowledgable . Rooms are clean and well appointed with mini fridge , microwave & coffee maker. I would stay again. It is at far end just off of Davis Dr. but a very short drive to hospital & mall.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Potse
HolidayInn N, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newmarket, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Potse,

It is our pleasure to have made your recent stay at our hotel a comfortable one. We hope to see you again very soon. Take care dear.

Shahnaz Ismail
DOS

Reviewed 16 May 2014

The room was very clean ... staff was very friendly when i checked in stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks....breakfast is great in the morning...Really Enjoyed my stay...Will be staying here again for sure

Room Tip: Facing The Front You Get A better view than the back