“horrible service!”

Holiday Inn Kitchener
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Kitchener
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I was there visiting family for a wedding and a group of us (9 all together) walked into the lobby at 9PM to check in. The man at the desk did not even greet us and when we approached him and asked to check in he had an unfriendly attitude. Some of us brushed it off but he kept on gonig making it quite obvious he did not want to be there, much less deal with a big group of people. My husband asked him if he can be a little more welcoming as the industry he is in requires good custome service skills. In that instand, the manager walked out from the back and I saw some cameras from which he was observing the entire situation. The man at the desk suddently became very welcoming and the manager asked if we needed anything else and apologized to us. I was very disappointed by this kind of service. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
HolidayInnKitchener, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Kitchener, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Dear SANJAS84,

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Kitchener for your recent stay. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the condition of the room may have caused you. We will definitely take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Further, I would like to invite you to give us another opportunity to demonstrate the product and services we are used to providing to our guests. I am very sorry that we were unable to provide this to you during your recent visit. Moreover I will be more than happy to upgrade you to our deluxe rooms in the future. Please contact me by email at najikotob@fortisproperties.com or call me directly 519 894 8502.

Thank you again for your feedback. It would be a pleasure to see you again.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

I have stayed at this property on more than one occasion. I find it centrally located and close enough to the main highway to get about. Shopping and dining is very close by, although the hotel's Embers restaurant has a nice evening menu and the food was very good. The breakfast buffet had a nice selection. The smoothies are better than I make myself. I have also ordered off the breakfast menu (pancakes were delicious). The staff from the front desk to the restaurant was friendly, efficient and helpful. Offers both indoor and outdoor pools. Rooms are clean and comfortable. I appreciate the choice of the type of pillows. The water pressure in the shower is great, unlike other hotels where there is little water flow and you spend forever trying to rinse out the shampoo!!! I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I prefer the tower rooms to the first and second floor rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
HolidayInnKitchener, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kitchener, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear Nancy RDH D,

Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Kitchener - Waterloo! We appreciate your loyalty and feedback!

We are glad you that have enjoyed your stay with us, we strive to prove excellent customer service and are over the moon when all of the hard work pays off!

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed 22 August 2013

The hotel is located next to a main road that can be noisy depending on room location, and this applies to the outside swimming pool. It is an older, but updated design with pavement almost next to main floor rooms. (The hotel is similar to a 2 storey motel design, clustered around a multi-floor central building).

Check-in was indifferent, with no recognition of IHG Reward Club membership, though my reservation was ready on arrival. The smallish room was neat and clean, a room staff was cheerful and helpful when asked for plastic bags.

We did not stay for breakfast due to the cost of the buffet.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter B
HolidayInnKitchener, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Kitchener, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Dear PeterGB,

It was very kind of you to take a few minutes out of your busy schedule to share your experience on Tripadvisor and thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Kitchener for your recent stay.

The Hotel has a perfect location on fairway road. We are close to the best restaurants in town and are five minutes away from the Fairview mall, Wall mart and Sears. We are also the only Hotel in Kitchener that has an outdoor and indoor pool as well.

We do have two different room types, the standard and the deluxe; and hopefully on your next visit you will be able to try our deluxe rooms. I am very disappointed that we did not recognise you as an IHG member; we should have asked you if you were a member. On the other hand, I would like to that you for your loyalty.

We really appreciate the compliments on the cleanliness of the room and the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff.

We sincerely appreciate your business, and we were delighted to be your chosen hotel during your recent stay in Kitchener. We would love to have you stay with us again, whenever you are in the area. It would be our pleasure to see you again.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Stayed here on a one-night stay as a Platinum member. Received a complimentary mini-appetizer upon arrival (delivered to the room about 15 minutes after I got there), had a choice of 3 items. It's one of those places where it's decent, clean, but could just use some TLC to elevate its status. For example, elevator call lights burned out (is the elevator coming or not?), small surface crack in toilet, calcium build-up on shower fixtures. All little things that could easily be handled with some some attention. If an air conditioning unit is noisy I like to crack the room down as low as possible and then turn it off. In this case, the temperature never did drop a whole lot in the room after running it for an extended period of time. The room wasn't hot, just didn't get cool. Bed was alright, didn't hear any road noise or anything like that.

When I booked their website mentioning complimentary breakfast, but nothing was mentioned at check-in. I called down later and was told I was not entitled to it - but ended up offering it to me. Unfortunately I slept in too late and did not take advantage of it. Depending on the rate I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ohlradio
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kitchener, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Dear ohlradio,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of product and services we offer to our guests.

Thank you for staying with us, and continued loyalty as an IHG Rewards Club Platinum member. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 17 August 2013

The Hall was really nice and lots of room for the amount of people that were there. The tables were decorated beautifuly. The food presentation was very appetizing. A nice variety of food to eat and it was delicious. The staff were more than helpful, always around if we needed something. Very pleasent to talk to and the Front Desk staff were very accomidating. I would recomend this hotel for sure.

Room Tip: Let the Front Desk Staff know what you need and they will do their best to help
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
HolidayInnKitchener, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Kitchener, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Good day Wilddiva2,

It was very kind of you to take a few minutes out of your busy schedule to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

We are truly humbled by your appreciation of all the things our Hotel had to offer. It means a lot to all of us to know your time with us was so enjoyable.

Your comment about the table decoration, the delicious food and service will thrill our Executive chef Dave and our Banquet Manager Yoga. I will be more than happy to pass your compliments onto them.

We pride ourselves on always being there when our guests need us and the Front Desk team has always done a great job in helping customers. It was great to hear that they took care of you; they always go the extra mile to ensure guest expectations are always met.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the last year. Each time, the staff has been excellent. The lounge and restaurant is excellent...although a little pricey.
The first time I stayed it was in the tower, and I thought at the room needed updating. This last time, I stayed in the 'wing', which is similar to a very old two level roadside motel...not hotel. The entire wing area needs remodeling, or completely rebuilt from the ground up. I thought my saving grace would be that I over looked the pool, but that does not make up for the highway noise or constant traffic of people walking by the sliding glass door.
I will come back to the performance of the staff, as I think that they salvaged the overnight stay for me.

Room Tip: If you stay here, I would advise the tower over the wing for a room. It is newer.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear JustinFlowers,

We thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Kitchener; it was a pleasure to have you stay with us twice now and can’t wait to welcome you again in the future.

We really appreciate the compliments on the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff; moreover, it was rewarding to read that the restaurant was excellent.

We thank you for your loyalty and we sincerely appreciate your business, and we were delighted to be your chosen hotel during your recent stay in Kitchener. We would love to have you stay with us again, whenever you are in the area. It would be our pleasure to see you again.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Thanks to the Holiday Inn Staff, who did a great job for us during the Watchtower Convention in July of 2013. Because we had some 'special equipment' with us, I was a bit nervous about leaving it in my room. Eva was so reassuring and accommodating, She made sure it was kept safe and secure each day. She also gave us some great restaurant suggestions, and the Fusion India Buffet Restaurant was an especially huge hit. (Go there...really!) I meant to write this review earlier, but you know how things get away from you. I apologize for the delay. But I left the Holiday Inn Kitchener with only one regret...that Eva had just left for a break when I came to say goodbye. My wife and I are hoping to be back next year...and hoping to see Eva again, a delightful personality and wonderful customer support. Thank you.

Room Tip: Right next to a nice mall, and at the end of a business stretch of a few miles with downtown Kitchen...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
HolidayInnKitchener, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Kitchener, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Good day Rob J,

We pride ourselves on always being there when our guests need us and Eva has always done a great job in helping customers. Moreover, It was great to hear that Eva took care of you; she always goes the extra mile to ensure guest expectations are always met.

The Holiday Inn Kitchener family thanks you for your business; it would be a pleasure to welcome you again in the future.

Front Office Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kitchener
Radisson Hotel Kitchener
#2 of 14 in Kitchener
Kitchener Inn and Suites
#1 of 14 in Kitchener
City Commercial Core
Crowne Plaza Kitchener-Waterloo
The Walper Hotel
#3 of 14 in Kitchener

Been to Holiday Inn Kitchener? Share your experiences!