“Awful”

Holiday Inn Kitchener
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Kitchener
Reviewed 5 July 2014

It should be mentioned when booking that there are major renovations been made to the hotel, It was a very unpleasant stay, I am glad it was only for one night. Considering the price paid, I did expect more from the Holiday Inn. The front desk staff were the only saving grace.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
HolidayInnKitchener, Front Office Supervisor at Holiday Inn Kitchener, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Vicki M,

We value the time you took to let other IHG readers know about our Holiday Inn Kitchener.

We consistently renovate and refurbish all our rooms and the tower project is one of our biggest renovations to date. I will say that come September 2014, when all our tower rooms are remodeled, you will be pleasantly surprised.

We would love to have you stay with us again, whenever you are in the Kitchener area. It would be our pleasure to see you again.

Tristan Wilkinson, Front Office Supervisor

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I was really disappointed by a recent stay at this hotel. It is under construction and when I arrived late in the evening there was construction garbage lying all over the parking lit and entryway. The parking lot is poorly lit and did not feel safe with a late arrival. I was in a 1st floor room down a never-ending series of hallways and when I arrived I entered a room stuck in the 80's. The bathtub was dirty, the bathmat was stained, the door paint was chipped and peeling. When you sat on the toilet it clunked against the wall of the room!! The coffee maker had a cord which didn't reach a single outlet. I had to move furniture to plug it in. Very disappointing and not up to Holiday Inn standards.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
HolidayInnKitchener, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Kitchener, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

To Hallake2,

It was very kind of you to take a few minutes out of your busy schedule to share your experience on Tripadvisor and thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Kitchener for your recent stay. I am very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

It is only by hearing guest comments that we can make changes in the way that we do business to improve our service levels in all areas. As a Quality Excellence Award Winning hotel our team is completely committed to ensuring that all of our guests enjoy a superior level of service during their visit with us and it is very disappointing when we fail to carry that promise through.

I will address the Housekeeping issues, specially the the stained bathmat and dirty bathtub, as well as the coffee maker with our Housekeeping manager Grace Friel. With regards to the refuge from the renovations we definitely should have had the area cleaned up or blocked off so it would not impede any guests while staying at the hotel. That is something I will bring up with my general manager.

I would like to take some time and discuss your individual experience in more detail with you so that we can take specific steps to improve on the areas that were of concern to you. Please contact me either by e-mail at tristanwilkinson@fortisproperties.com or call me at 519 894 8502.

Further, I would like to invite you to give us another opportunity to demonstrate the product and services we are used to providing to our guests. I am very sorry that we were unable to provide this to you during your stay.

Thank you again for your feedback. Please let me know if I can be of assistance in making any future reservations for you.

Tristan Wilkinson, Front Desk Supervisor

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Beautiful place- great personal service- a place to have a staff party where the atmosphere, food and accomodations surpass your expectations!
We host our annual Christmas Party at the Holiday Inn and we have no complaints.
Hivi our personal planner had everything prepared to our satisfaction.
The newly renovated rooms were lovely.
Staff was amazing!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mary K
HolidayInnKitchener, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Kitchener, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear cheyenneo1,

We would like to extend our great appreciation to you, for sharing this wonderful comment with other Tripadvisor readers. We would like to thank you for your loyalty. The Holiday Inn Kitchener is proud to be your home away from home.

We appreciate your comments about the overall service and accommodation of the Hotel and pride ourselves on going the extra mile to ensure you had a comfortable and memorable stay. We especially enjoyed reading that Hivi offered you exceptional service and we all can’t wait to welcome you back again to the Hotel for your next Christmas Party.

Tristan Wilkinson, Front Office Supervisor/Manager

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Was booked here by an organization for a week-long training program. I stayed in a ground floor room which was very clean. The room I was in is due for an upgrade - not overdue - but definitely due. Staff was very friendly. Room service was good and on time. A good location as there are a couple of other restaurants nearby and the Fairway (Fairview?) mall with Wal-Mart, Sears, etc. is a 5-10 minute walk away. A couple of minor complaints - after heading to dining room for the breakfast buffet on Saturday morning, was told that I could order off the menu. I guess it wasn't busy enough that morning so the buffet was a no-go. Remote in room would not shut-off tv. Other than that, I would recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Some rooms on ground floor have sliding doors with good locks, so if you want direct access to your...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank 5kmilesin2010
HolidayInnKitchener, Front Office Supervisor at Holiday Inn Kitchener, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear 5kmilesin2010,

We would like to extend our great appreciation to you, for sharing this wonderful comments with other Tripadvisor readers. Your comments on the cleanliness of our room will definitely put a smile on Grace our Housekeeping Manager's face. Moreover, we appreciate your compliments regarding the efficiency of room service and the friendliness of staff.

We are constantly improving and upgrading our rooms, providing comfort and quality for all who stay there. We should have replaced the television remote for your room, I am terribly sorry for that. I will be following up with my Chief Engineer about that issue.

Customer satisfaction is our main priority and we are so happy to have you stay with us whenever you are in Kitchener.

Thank you for your loyalty. It would be our pleasure to see you again

Tristan Wilkinson
Front Office Supervisor

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Beds are comfortable. Not overly impressed by this hotel stay. Rooms were not ready on time. Did not get the requested room. Put too close to the hiway behind and it was noisy. Our toilet did not flush properly. For the rate we paid, I would not go again.
No breakfast included.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank kesrock
HolidayInnKitchener, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Kitchener, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Good Day,

I would like to send you a personal thank you for the comments you gave us on Tripadvisor concerning your stay at the Holiday Inn Kitchener. I am very disappointed that your experience was not up to our standards.

I would like to take some time and discuss your individual experience in more detail with you. Please contact me either by e-mail at najikotob@fortisproperties.com or by telephone at (519) 894-8526.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We had a great two night stay during a hockey tournament. The staff was extremely helpful and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. We were a large group with a lot of kids but they were very willing to help us out and make it work - especially when we showed up unannounced for dinner with 40 people! They made sure we were all looked after and went above and beyond. Jesse and Drugit (sp?) were noticed for their outstanding service in the bar area. By the way, they have fabulous cappuccino/lattes! Right off the highway and easy to access both Kitchener, Waterloo, shopping and restaurants. Overall, a great place to stay and will be looking at it again for next years tournament.

Service goes a LONG way and they provided it. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
HolidayInnKitchener, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Kitchener, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to extend our great appreciation to you, for sharing this wonderful comment with other Tripadvisor readers and we thank you for choosing the fabulous Holiday Inn Kitchener.

As a Quality Excellence Award Winning hotel our team is completely committed to ensuring that all of our guests enjoy a superior level of service during their stay with us. We especially enjoyed reading that all our team members from different department provided a friendly and individualized service.

As you mentioned we are ideally situated in a great residential and commercial area, so we are fortunate in that respect with our location. We are also glad to hear that you enjoyed your dinner at Embers Restaurant and can't wait to welcome you again next year.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Recent stay @ the HI Kitchener was a 'make good' as our previous stay was challenging due to a number of hockey teams in town taking part in a tournament (won the stay as part of a prize pkg.)
I called the HI to explain that we wanted to use the 'make good' and the mgr. did an excellent job to find the 'make good stay' within their system I appreciated that he took the time to issue a gift voucher so I wouldn't have to explain the situation again.
Room was clean and well appointed with a comfortable king bed, bar fridge, hi-end coffee maker, etc. Larger than typical bathroom with plenty of hot water.
Complimentary newspapers in the front lobby.
Restaurant service was ok - not as good as previous experiences.
Would stay again.

Room Tip: Get a tower room on the Exec. level
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jack D

Dear Jack D,

I would like to send you a personal thank you for the comments concerning your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Kitchener and we can’t wait to welcome you back to the Hotel.

We pride ourselves on going the extra mile to ensure you had a comfortable and memorable stay. We especially enjoyed reading that you found the room well appointed and enjoyed the comfortable kin size bed.

We sincerely appreciate your business, and we were delighted to be your chosen hotel during your recent stay in Kitchener. We would love to have you stay with us again, whenever you are in the area.

Front Office Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kitchener
Radisson Hotel Kitchener
#2 of 14 in Kitchener
Kitchener Inn and Suites
#1 of 14 in Kitchener
City Commercial Core
Crowne Plaza Kitchener-Waterloo
The Walper Hotel
#3 of 14 in Kitchener

Been to Holiday Inn Kitchener? Share your experiences!