“I was robbed|”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Kitchener
Sudbury, Canada
“I was robbed|”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel during a business trip from May 3rd to May 7th 2014 and had items stolen from my hotel room. I contacted the front desk right away and spoke with the manager. An internal investigation was done (so they called it) and because my items were not fund it was case closed. This is unacceptable for someone to feel like this at any hotel. I refused to have my room cleaned for the remaining of my stay.
I was not offered any compensation for my items that had been stolen. Unreal!!!
I suggest that all clients be extremely cautious with what they leave unattended in their rooms.

Room Tip: Watch out that you don't get robbed by the maids.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Chantal P
LucyD442, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Kitchener-Waterloo, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Chantal P,

Thank you for your recent review.

Security and Safety at the hotel is taken very seriously at all times at the Crowne Plaza Kitchener Waterloo. Our room attendants are always looking out for the best interest of the guest in order to protect their belongings as we clean guest rooms. Room attendants are trained to keep the guest room door closed while cleaning guest rooms, with a door knob sign hanging outside showing everyone that the room is being serviced.

This procedure protects our staff and guest belongings while on shift. We conducted a thorough investigation regarding your claims of alleged theft of your personal belongings. Our investigation resulted in discovering you were issued two guest room keys at the time of check in and you were at the time of investigation not able to account for the second key which showed access to your guest room. Our lock audit investigation on all your door entry points during your stay indicated a room attendant that cleaned your guest room has worked for us for 30+ years who has an impeccable work ethic and without any incident on record. We are truly empathetic to your situation and at the same time we are certainly not in a position to provide you with a form of financial compensation under the circumstances we are faced with at this time. As discussed with you, the case is not closed, but being sent to our head office and you were provided options on how to further proceed on your claim. Our staff take pride and great care in their work and would never jeopardize their job or guest satisfaction ultimately hindering business levels at the hotel. We do hope you consider coming back and experiencing the newly renovated lobby and restaurant in the near future.

Yari

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Our Volleyball Club booked large numbers of rooms at this hotel before it was renamed the Crowne Plaza. I did not do any research about this hotel before arriving for check-in on a completely sold out weekend due to OVA holding their Provincial Championships at RIM Part in Waterloo. I was told this is where our team would be staying and booked.
It is true that the hotel is still under renovations and the lobby area is very tight, however the staff were awesome, friendly and very accommodating. I was offered assistance to my room with all my gear, cooler and centerpieces by a lovely man in work clothes as there were no trolleys left in the lobby.
Our room was very nicely decorated, excellent cold fridge, nice bathroom and decent supplies. The hallways are quite narrow to negotiate and in many areas two trolleys cannot pass each other so one has to back up in retreat if you happen to meet.
We used the banquet facilities during both of our stays in April for both Provincial tournaments our team attended and the facility and food provided was very good but most importantly the staff were outstanding on both occasions! The pool was enjoyed by our girls as well as the bowling and mini golf, Wi Fi was reliable and although parking was in a separate area we had no issues with the same.
The area is downtown and very quiet on the weekend and while there are some shaggy characters we (small group of ladies) were not bothered while out negotiating the neighbourhood in early morning in search of decent coffee or late night in search of cold beer!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
LucyD442, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Kitchener-Waterloo, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Haggis678,

We are extremely happy that you enjoyed you stay with us and we thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post a review on your last stay with us at the Crowne Plaza Kitchener Waterloo. We are always striving to go above and beyond for our guests.

Our lobby and restaurant will be complete over the next few weeks and we look forward to having you return to stay with us and experience the newly renovated $1 million dollar restaurant and lobby.

Again we thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and facilities.

Warm regards,

Lucy
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

When booking the website gives the impression that this is a refurbished hotel but there is a considerable amount of redevelopment still on going. The bedrooms have all been redecorated and are lovely but the reception, lobby, pool and restaurant have yet to be completed.

The hotel is situated near the bus station and across the road from a homeless hostel. While I don't want to be judgemental, this has resulted in a large number of single men wandering around, sleeping on street benches and a fairly high police presence. I did not feel comfortable walking back from near by restaurants at night, even though I was not alone.

There were a number of problems during our stay:
-access is via a flight of steps - not easy with suitcases
- the pool was closed for children's parties
- the WiFi is unreliable
- the fridge is noisy during the night
- there were workmen outside before 8.00 am
- housekeeping calls very late in the day ( between 5 -6 pm)
- the barrier to the car park was stuck and it is not very secure
- breakfast was pretty poor!

On the positive side, the rooms are very nice and so are the staff. Don't pay for breakfast; it simply isn't worth it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Adele B
LucyD442, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Kitchener-Waterloo, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Adele B ,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Crowne Plaza Kitchener Waterloo. We take all guest feedback very seriously and use it to continuously improve ourselves so as to meet the needs of all our guests.

I sincerely apologize that your stay was not a positive experience. We are in the final stages of completing our $12 million dollar renovation project and the only items remaining to be completed are the front lobby, our main restaurant and lounge. We are hoping to have these items completed within the next few weeks. We trust you enjoyed your newly renovated guest room and various other amenities we supplied within Crowne Plaza standards.

The City of Kitchener/Waterloo is currently undergoing a major revitalization which includes bringing in a Rapid Transit Train System and other amenities that will help clean up the city and the area we are situated in. We are expecting these issues you brought up will soon be a thing of the past. We do have security professionals on our property during the evening hours to ensure that the safety of our guests is never compromised.

We have addressed the issue with the internet in our guest rooms with our internet service provider. I apologize if you were not able to log on to the internet.

I will address your comments regarding housekeeping cleaning schedules with our Executive Housekeeper. We honored you wishes by not cleaning the guest room during day time hours subject to your request. We try to accommodate our guest requests for specific cleaning times after hours to the best of our abilities.

Our recreation centre is very popular with our guests, especially the younger generation 5-12 years old. There are times where we do rent out the swimming pool area for short one hour periods of time to accommodate private birthday parties but we always strive to ensure that all our guests who may be affected by the closure are notified via signage around the hotel. And we always minimize the overlapping of extensive pool closures to avoid the inconvenience of our guests.

I am happy that you thought our rooms and our staff were very "nice". We try to ensure that our guests are not negatively impacted by the remaining areas of the hotel in revitalization mode by providing excellent guest service.

When you return to the Kitchener Waterloo area, I am confident that you will notice the changes I mentioned above and will be pleasantly surprised. We hope that you choose to stay with us in the near future.
Warm Regards,
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Our reservation was made via the IHG web site. At the time of booking there was no mention of the hotel being 'under construction'. Admittedly the majority of the hotel is finished, however, there is enough of it not ready and not as they claim 'completed'.
Access to the hotel was difficult up steps and the assistance offered was someone holding a door open whilst we struggled with cases. The temporary lobby was not at all welcoming.
The check in went smoothly after we were assured everything else in the hotel was finished and we would not be experiencing any works over the holiday weekend.
The room we were allocated on the seventh floor (adults only floor) was very nice. Very modern and nicely finished. There is no complimentary water in the rooms here as there is in other Crowne Plazas. When I queried this I was told there is a vending machine on another floor. Ice machines are also available on other floors.
The beds are very good (new) as are the TVs and heating set up. The in room fridge is very noisy.
Breakfasts are not good. Why do they think that quantity is a substitute for quality? There was only one member of staff available on the first morning and we had to wait for him to show up from time to time so we could order drinks etc. The choices on the buffet were not great, having just come from the Crowne Plaza at Niagra where the breakfast was excellent. This felt like a Holiday Inn Express breakfast that was badly done.
The scrambled eggs were the worst I have ever seen, I couldn't bring myself to taste them. They resembled a solid block of rubbery yellow / grey mess! The hash browns were soft and slushy, bacon was just ok, as were the sausages. The pancakes had congealed into a rubbery mass. There was no brown bread, the milk ran out. There was no continental meat/cheese available. It was the worst breakfast I have ever had at any Crowne Plaza.
There was a little noise during the night which woke us both up, sounded like someone vacuuming at 4am! Never did identify the source of the noise.
Day two breakfast was no better than the first, in fact it had been dismantled and wrapped up as they were preparing for an Easter Sunday brunch and had clearly decided to do so before the end of advertised breakfast times without telling the guests.
The swimming pool in the hotel is quite nice, a little small and the area around the pool is being used as storage whilst building works complete. The pool was also closed for a period of time for a private function, hotel guests were excluded during this time. We think it was for a children's party.
There is a fee for parking at the hotel of $12+tax! at time of booking it said parking was available but no mention of charges. It is not secure parking.
The area the hotel is situated in is not great. It is central and on a main street but the first time we stepped out of the hotel we were confronted with a drunk on one side of the street and a cop arresting another undesirable on the opposite sidewalk. The centre of the city is littered with down and outs, drunks and other non desirables. You probably wouldn't want to walk out alone after dark here, my other half certainly didn't want to and that was with me being there.
The hotel wi-fi has been hit and miss, the signal keeps dropping just when you are in the middle if something and it repeatedly ask you to log in again and again.
I did mention some of the issues raised here with reception staff and they did put a few bottles of water in the fridge. The matter of the hotel being incomplete is being ignored! The bill was slipped under the door in the night, am about to go and discuss contents with management.

Room Tip: Adult only floor available.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank HappySnapper2
Dear HappySnapper 2,

I sincerely apologize that your stay was not a positive experience. We are in the final stages of completing our $12 million dollar renovation project and the only items remaining to be completed are the front lobby, main restaurant and lounge. We are hoping to have these items completed within the next few weeks. I am however happy to hear that you enjoyed the décor in the guest room you were occupying.

The City of Kitchener/Waterloo is currently undergoing a major revitalization of Kitchener downtown which includes bringing in a Rapid Transit Train System and other amenities that will help clean up the city and the area we are situated in. We have seen condominiums developed with in block of the hotel which is also improving the downtown urban city look and feel. We are expecting these issues you brought up will soon be a thing of the past. We do have security professionals on our property during the evening hours to ensure that safety of our guests is never compromised. In addition to enhancing security measure have an afterhours swipe key lock entry system.

I will bring up your comments regarding the breakfast with our Executive Chef and I have also addressed the intermittent internet issues you were experiencing with our internet service providers. We have resolved those isolated WIFI problems permanently. We understand that these amenities are of the upmost importance to our guests and what you experienced was not reflective of our Crowne Plaza Standards that we provide each and every day.

As you have noticed, our recreation and fitness center is very popular with our guests. There are times where we do close the pool for short periods to accommodate our popular birthday party packages. This children’s birthday package includes familiar private and parental monitored swimming time allowing children to feel safe at all times in their own environment. This birthday package includes arcade, bowling alley and swimming pool usage mostly on weekends for not more than an hour subject to a reservation. We always inform our guests of the closures via signage around the hotel. I apologize if you were not informed of the closure during your stay.
I am pleased that you brought your concerns up with our guest service front desk staff and that we were able to accommodate you on some of your needs, for example bringing up water to your room for the rest of your stay. Although this is not a typical Crowne Plaza standard to offer complimentary water in all guest rooms. I am confident that on your next visit to Kitchener Waterloo, if you choose to stay with us again, you will be pleasantly surprised on all the improvements inside and outside that will have occurred, not only in our hotel but in the surrounding areas as well.

Warm Regards,
Yari
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kitchener
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Kitchener
#2 of 9 in Waterloo
Holiday Inn Kitchener
Holiday Inn Kitchener
#6 of 14 in Kitchener

Been to Crowne Plaza Kitchener-Waterloo? Share your experiences!