“Disappointing experience”

Concordia Club
Ranked #46 of 531 Restaurants in Kitchener
Price range: US$8 - US$17
Cuisines: German, European, Bar, Pub, Central European
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: German Canadian Club providing hospitality since 1873. Full service Restaurant with outdoor Patio as well as a 450 seat banquet hall. Open 6 days a week. The club is a not for profit organization.We are conveniently located in the center of Kitchener, close to the expressway and offer ample parking for our guests. Our cuisine is a blend of German as well as North American dishes. We are well known beyond our borders as "the home of Oktoberfest" where in October the club ads a 4,000 person tent to it's building in order to celebrate it's annual "Oktoberfest"If you want to experience German food prepared by our professional staff according to how it is made in Europe, the Club is your place!
Thornhill, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

First I was told that I didn't need a reservation, that there was lots of space available when I wanted to go there for dinner. Showed up around 6:30 to find that there were no tables available (should have made a reservation) - all were reserved but only a few had patrons at that time. Was seated at the large staff table facing the bar area which was crowded with guests attending a wedding upstairs. Was seated with my back to the restaurant with a waitress at the other end of the table folding napkins and occasionally chatting with another waitress. Food was nothing special. Yager Schnitzel was pale and smothered in a thick mushroom gravy (which I mostly scraped off) in which there were very few mushrooms. The only things that saved the experience were the glass of shiraz and a chocolate mousse cake (which I took back to my accommodation). Should have gone to the Metro. Wouldn't go back to the Concordia again.

• Visited October 2013

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
“Good value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

I was invited here by a friend of mine for the buffet where things were very good including service and food. I liked the soup, the salad, and the meat dish. The prices are reasonable and will bring in more people for sure. Thank you Concordia club.

• Visited September 2013
Edmonton, Canada
“Very good food great building”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

took my family to a tradition. being from Edmonton and loving german food this was a bucket list
item to do. The food was great and the décor was all Bavaria. the rouladen and spatzl were very good and the portions were huge. my daughter had the small salad and the two boys had spatzl and gravy. will want to come back for Oktoberfest. bis bald. tschuss and auf wieder sehen

• Visited August 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
“German food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

I tried this restaurant on a Saturday evening. We had no reservation so the only unreserved table was on the dance floor. We were allowed to use it with the understanding it must be vacated before 7:30 when the dancing began. I had the saurbraten with spatzle. It came with seasonal veggies - non german side. The food was served at the proper temperature and the staff were friendly enough. Overall, this was an average restaurant in every way. Apparently, this is a great site for Oktoberfest in October but it was nothing special today.

• Visited August 2013
Kitchener, Canada
“Friday dinner buffet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

We tried this restaurant for the first time, after living in the area for over 50 years. We didn't realize they had a restaurant that was open year round! Obviously this isn't highly advertised, outside of being a popular venue during the annual Octoberfest festival. The food was quite good! The schnitzel was very tasty, and the roast chicken was moist. My husband also enjoyed the roast beef, whereas I found it to be a little dry. There was a good selection of salads and yummy turkey vegetable soup. They saved the best for last as the desserts were wonderful and we are not big dessert eaters. The chocolate torte was the best I've ever had, and my husband enjoyed the homemade lemon meringue pie. This restaurant was a nice surprise and we will definately be returning. Check out the daily specials on their website. We may try the Sunday brunch next. But not this Sunday, as we may still be full!

• Visited July 2013
Concordia1873, General Manager at Concordia Club, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Thank you for your review! You are correct in that most people think of us when Oktoberfest comes every year but our Schenke Restaurant is open all year round. Please join us again!
Ruth Rajna