“Mixed review”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Jordan
Hamilton, Canada
“Mixed review”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This has always been my favourite place to drop by with friends. The view is spectacular and I have usually found the food to be very good. We love the lobster poutine and this time the Prime rib special was fantastic. It's not a fast food place, so there is usually a fairly long wait, so don't go if you are in a hurry, but if you want to enjoy the gorgeous view and relax, this is the place to go.

So, for the first time, me and 3 of my friends rented 2 rooms and decided to stay for the night so we could get an early start and head over to the border. Well, we had really bad people on our floor. At 1 a.m. they were still running back and forth and shouting, this place is not sound proofed and they were jumping, the whole room was shaking. To top it all off, the very drunk guests were smoking "pot" and drinking opening in the hallways and would bang on our door as they passed by. We should have complained, but were so tired and hoping it would end soon.

Then they decided to pull the fire alarm, and we had to evacuate at 1:30 in the morning and wait outside till the firemen appeared and turn off the false alarm. This in the middle of a blizzard

As I didn't get any sleep,, I woke with a severe migraine, and being the driver, we had to leave late and it ruined our whole day.

I know this is not the fault of the hotel that someone pulls an alarm. All I have to say, is the rooms are not quiet. Will definitely go back to the restaurant, but not sure I ever want to stay there overnight again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 30 November 2013

On July 19th my parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. I encouraged my parents to have it at the Beacon as this is where I have booked our work Christmas functions for the past 3 years and have always been pleased.
The power went out around 8:40 pm due to a very bad storm. There was no back up generator. We sat in a very dark room that got very hot very quickly. The night ended shortly after. We could not have a reception. We could not finish speeches, they could not have their first dance, we could not have our entertainment. This momentous milestone turned into such a disappointment. I understand this was an act of nature and out of the Beacon's control. It is too bad they were not more prepared with a generator or flashlights etc. But the worst is how it was handled after. I asked for a discount for my parents and was given the run around for months. I could only speak to Charlene who I had been dealing with. I was not allowed to speak with anyone else. I would wait weeks before getting any email responses to only hear things like "the owners are on vacation or now the owners are jet lagged, I will know soon" to eventually hear that they would do nothing (except offer my parents a one night stay in the hotel or that they didn't charge us extra costs for the mic and amp we brought in) which is so funny as we had no power. This review is so late b/c I stupidly held out hope that the owner or higher manager was still going to contact me. Charlene said she could not give me the name or email or ext to anyone else but that she passed on my info and just maybe they would call me. We paid ahead for the meal and the room/reception but did not get to have the reception. There was no empathy but only months of the run around wasting my time.
They knew I was a repeat customer and never had any issues when I dealt with Cathy R for a few years in the past. I asked for my $200 deposit back for a work function I had already booked for Nov. They refused to give it back and we were forced to hold our work Christmas dinner last week. Needless to say we will not be booking anymore functions with the Beacon. Had the owners called me back, showed some empathy and gave my parents some kind of discount for not getting what they paid for, things could have been different.
The food was good and the view was amazing but we had several service issues. The tables weren't cleared of food and dirty plates before the dessert came out, coffee and tea came out almost a half hour after dessert was served. We had one food allergy for the desert and we had to ask again for her fruit that was prearranged which she got well after everyone at her table had received theirs (the table sat for 20 min while they waited for her fruit) The room in one area had a bad smell. The light above the podium was out and we had to wait to start speeches and eventually change it ourselves.
I see the reviews are being monitored by a manager, I'm glad someone else can hear our story. Hopefully they have compassion and will email me or call me personally. Charlene knows who I am and has my info.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sherry L
Toronto
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Considering the gorgeous location this restaurant has with great big windows, it was very disappointing that the food and service were very very poor.... the only reason we came here is because Lakehouse, right beside it, was closed due to repairs... big mistake. We ordered some paninis, haddock, sweet potato fries and veal and it took AN HOUR before the food came. What made it worse is that the food tasted like.... microwaved food from a package.... it was extremely bland and tasteless... The bread was good, the sweet potato fries were burnt, the haddock tasted like tilapia, the veal had no taste....I asked for tartar sauce which was supposed to already come with my meal, the waitress brought it to us 15 minutes later as she forgot, and it was mainly just mayo... The waitress was nice enough to discount our bill, but it really is a pity that a place with such a beautiful location has such low standards... will not return until something changes..

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Lisatokuc, Manager at Ramada Jordan/Beacon Harbourside Resort, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Thank you for your review, I am sorry that your experience was not to your satisfaction, I will pass your comments on to our executive chef to review. We hope you will return to give us another chance.
Church Point, Canada
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Greetings, I am a traveling business person from Nova Scotia. When I am working in the area this hotel is one of my favorites! I have stayed at the Beacon many of times and I have found the staff very welcoming and friendly. Especially Donna, I have found her very helpful and really cares about her guest! Every morning waking up to a beautiful view of Lake Ontario. Having breakfast watching the swans is always a treat! Love the place, staff and the view!

Room Tip: All the rooms have a excellent view!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for the wonderful review. We are delighted to hear that you had a
enjoyable stay. We love to hear from our
guests who have had a positive experience and look forward to welcoming you
back soon!
Keswick, Canada
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed for a weekend with a scrapbooking retreat. Crop room was large,had a beautiful view, But had poor lighting. All rooms have a great view of the lake. Donna at the front desk was rude and not helpful. Rooms where not the same as had been booked. Could not switch, no vacancy. Food at restaurant was fabulous. Was surprised there was no elevators. Smelt a little musty, could use some upgrades and TLC. Free wifi had bad signal/reception.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comments. We would like to apologize for the issues that
you encountered during your stay with us. We hope to see you again in the future.
Malden On Hudson, New York
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Let me start with the positives : the dinner service was fantastic, the dinner itself was better than expected. The room was clean and had a fantastic view.

The negatives were the daytime front desk manager, Donna, who was very rude to us on a couple of occasions. Also, the breakfast service was slow and the food not great.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lefty02
Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

We are saddened to hear of the discomfort you experienced during your
stay with us. Please know your issues have been addressed with the
appropriate department head so that they can be corrected. Please know we
take great pride in providing each guest with a positive and memorable
experience.
New York
Reviewed 1 November 2013

View is great. Rooms were clean. We had dinner at the main restaurant. Heather, the waitress, was very helpful. Food was good. Had breakfast and the service was dreadful. On checkout, Donna at front desk was rude and dismissive.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank NYSbeachgirl
Thank you for your review and hope to welcome you back in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jordan
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites St. Catharines Conference Centre
Capri Inn
Capri Inn
#1 of 7 in St. Catharines
Jordan House Hotel
Jordan House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Jordan
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hilton Garden Inn Niagara-on-the...
#8 of 15 in Niagara-on-the-Lake
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,259 reviews
Casablanca Winery Inn
Casablanca Winery Inn
#2 of 2 in Grimsby
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in St. Catharines

Been to Ramada Jordan/Beacon Harbourside Resort? Share your experiences!