“The Briars, Jackson's Point, Ontario, Canada”

The Briars Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Jackson's Point
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The Briars is an established resort on Lake Simcoe in Southern Ontario, about an hour or so north of Toronto.

In several stays there, I have found the accommodations, food and service to be excellent, and good value for the money. The setting is tranquil and restorative. It is a family-oriented place, but couples and singles will likely be happy with the experience too.

Meals were very good, with variety and good service.

They are open on Christmas and most other holiday periods, which offers a nice getaway from one's usual routine.

Room Tip: I have stayed in a cottage and in an inn room. Both were very good. I would recommend the meals with...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank EyesWest2013

Reviewed 8 November 2013

My husband and I just return from a mini vacation at the Briars and enjoyed ourselves so much I had to write this review.
Our room overlooked the back of the resort but no less a beautiful view. It was quiet and very relaxed which was what we were looking for.
We had great meals and wonderful service which to me. is a measure of a great resort.
We had a wonderful meal on Saturday and danced to a great mix of music from a DJ who would play anything you requested.
This place had a lot of old world charm.
Sherry gave us a tour of some of the rooms and the history that this place has. We both found it very interesting.
If you want a place that offers peace and quiet but has so much to offer, this is the place to go.
You will not be disappointed..

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
BriarsResort, Manager at The Briars Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Lorraine,

I was very nice to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your visit, I've passed
them on to all those who had a part in your stay. We appreciated
them immensely,

We look forward to your next visit with us. Until then take care.

Bob Law
Resort Manager

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I stayed here as recently as a couple of weeks ago and was very disappointed. Do not believe what you see in the pictures. This is not a resort in any true sense. The furnishings are old and tired. Our room was filthy and the bedding was below average. I have had nicer pillows on VIA trains than in this place. The bathroom counter was dirty and the toilet seat was dirty as well. I do not have any romanticized history or connection with the resort.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank RightRoute
BriarsResort, Manager at The Briars Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear RightRoute,

I'd like to apologize for your experience with us. I had not heard of anything like this, normally
anything not up to our guest's standards is brought to my attention. This is not what our guest's experience with us and I would like to speak with you to understand what happened, and make it right.

Bob Law
Resort Manager

Reviewed 23 October 2013

The Briar's has been a family tradition for 25 years. My parents have celebrated their anniversary there every Easter and my wife and I have taken our family three to join them a few times. As my 10 year old son has grown up, he continues to refer to it as his favourite place to go, bar none. The Sibbalds are a wonderful family and their hospitality is tremendous. We have always enjoyed the annual Easter Brunch, egg hunt and a host of fun activities, as well as the dinner and dance hosted by DJ Dave, not to be confused with Dave The Bartender. The food is absolutely superb and they have many delicious options for vegan and vegetarian diets. We enjoy the indoor pool, the sauna, playing table tennis and shooting a few games of pool. For the first time this summer, we returned for a weekend and what we discovered was that the activities are just as plentiful, if not more so. Lots of options for swimming outdoors, canoe and paddle boat bookings, and the Sibbalds offer a boat ride on Lake Simcoe on "The Lady Simcoe" as well. There are too many local offerings or otherwise fun or team building activities to share, so suffice it to say that as resorts go, this is a truly unique family owned business and a wonderful, historical place to make great life-long memories. Bob at the front desk and Sherry in reservations will take very good of you and they have seasonal packages available throughout the year. Just leave enough room for us at Easter!

Room Tip: Many rooms have either a small patio or a balcony and lake view is best.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We were tipped off to this great hotel by the staff of a nearby Home Hardware, and were we ever glad. Not only was it beautiful, it was inexpensive, an unusual combination. The building is extensive, the grounds are lovely, the view is great, the staff are impeccable. We are not golfers or conventioneers, but it didn't seem to matter. There are facilities for gentle amusement such as ping pong, croquet; it's like going back in time. Who knew? We were there in October, but we plan to return in the summer.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor and overlooked the grounds. However, I don't think you could ma...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Thirteen tennis buddies decided to have a tennis weekend getaway at this resort. We took over the Mayfair Lodge, which has 10 rooms and a large common living area. Two of us stayed at the main lodge. There were so many things to do at Briars that we spent hardly any time in our rooms. We held a tennis tournament, went on a boat cruise, and drank and laughed around the firepit, which Dan the Man set up for us every evening. Some of us went kayaking up the Black river, some of us used the spa, and some of us took a dip in the indoor pool....

We had inclusive meals and the food was outstanding. We did find the three meals a bit much. The tennis buddies had so much fun that we decided to make this an annual event!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Three of my friends took me to The Briars to celebrate a milestone birthday (50) I felt completely spoiled from the moment we arrived. Exceptional service, friendly staff, delicious food ... The quiche is a must try, so is the open face goat cheese and portobello mushroom served at the bar. The venue is charming and reminiscent of yesteryear. We thoroughly enjoyed the spa treatments and highly recommend bear foot badminton and arranging a ping pong journey. The cottage we stayed in was on the water - great view and lots of wild life. We will be back!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
#7 of 19 in Barrie
Best Western Voyageur Place Hotel
Best Western Plus Mariposa Inn & Conference Centre
Whispering Pines Cottages and Vacation Rentals
Whispering Pines Cottages and Va...
#1 of 1 in Jackson's Point

Been to The Briars Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!