All reviewsgolf coursedining roomlake simcoeget awayindoor poolmain buildingmanor housethe cottagesgames roomwalking trailsevery mealping ponggrounds are beautifultook advantageshuttle servicecouples massageexcellent food
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We recently visited The Briars for an overnight stay to celebrate my wife's birthday. We took advantage of a Travelzoo offer which proved to be excellent value for money.
The Briars is an historic property with some later additions and provides excellent accommodations and facilities. We were luckily upgraded to a room in the original manor house as we were there during the week and in late November there were not a lot of guests! The room was very comfortable with a KS bed, fireplace, sitting area and plenty of space. It was decorated with charm and character and the bathroom, while smallish, was good with plenty of hot water, good shower and twin sinks.
We had both dinner and breakfast in the very comfortable bar area. The food and service were excellent with good presentation and service. Breakfast offered a wide selection of choices and, again, service and presentation were very good.
The atmosphere is relaxed and peaceful. The Briars has its own golf course for the summer just up the road. There are lovely views and lake access to enjoy.
Based upon our experience we would not hesitate to return for a longer stay, especially in warmer weather.

Room Tip: Go for a room in the original house if you can as they have a lot more character than rooms in the later additions.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The Briars is an established resort on Lake Simcoe in Southern Ontario, about an hour or so north of Toronto.

In several stays there, I have found the accommodations, food and service to be excellent, and good value for the money. The setting is tranquil and restorative. It is a family-oriented place, but couples and singles will likely be happy with the experience too.

Meals were very good, with variety and good service.

They are open on Christmas and most other holiday periods, which offers a nice getaway from one's usual routine.

Room Tip: I have stayed in a cottage and in an inn room. Both were very good. I would recommend the meals with your accommodation. They are 4-5 star and good value for the money.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank EyesWest2013
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My husband and I just return from a mini vacation at the Briars and enjoyed ourselves so much I had to write this review.
Our room overlooked the back of the resort but no less a beautiful view. It was quiet and very relaxed which was what we were looking for.
We had great meals and wonderful service which to me. is a measure of a great resort.
We had a wonderful meal on Saturday and danced to a great mix of music from a DJ who would play anything you requested.
This place had a lot of old world charm.
Sherry gave us a tour of some of the rooms and the history that this place has. We both found it very interesting.
If you want a place that offers peace and quiet but has so much to offer, this is the place to go.
You will not be disappointed..

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
BriarsResort, Manager at The Briars Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Lorraine,

I was very nice to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your visit, I've passed
them on to all those who had a part in your stay. We appreciated
them immensely,

We look forward to your next visit with us. Until then take care.

Bob Law
Resort Manager

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I stayed here as recently as a couple of weeks ago and was very disappointed. Do not believe what you see in the pictures. This is not a resort in any true sense. The furnishings are old and tired. Our room was filthy and the bedding was below average. I have had nicer pillows on VIA trains than in this place. The bathroom counter was dirty and the toilet seat was dirty as well. I do not have any romanticized history or connection with the resort.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank RightRoute
BriarsResort, Manager at The Briars Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear RightRoute,

I'd like to apologize for your experience with us. I had not heard of anything like this, normally
anything not up to our guest's standards is brought to my attention. This is not what our guest's experience with us and I would like to speak with you to understand what happened, and make it right.

Bob Law
Resort Manager

Reviewed 23 October 2013

The Briar's has been a family tradition for 25 years. My parents have celebrated their anniversary there every Easter and my wife and I have taken our family three to join them a few times. As my 10 year old son has grown up, he continues to refer to it as his favourite place to go, bar none. The Sibbalds are a wonderful family and their hospitality is tremendous. We have always enjoyed the annual Easter Brunch, egg hunt and a host of fun activities, as well as the dinner and dance hosted by DJ Dave, not to be confused with Dave The Bartender. The food is absolutely superb and they have many delicious options for vegan and vegetarian diets. We enjoy the indoor pool, the sauna, playing table tennis and shooting a few games of pool. For the first time this summer, we returned for a weekend and what we discovered was that the activities are just as plentiful, if not more so. Lots of options for swimming outdoors, canoe and paddle boat bookings, and the Sibbalds offer a boat ride on Lake Simcoe on "The Lady Simcoe" as well. There are too many local offerings or otherwise fun or team building activities to share, so suffice it to say that as resorts go, this is a truly unique family owned business and a wonderful, historical place to make great life-long memories. Bob at the front desk and Sherry in reservations will take very good of you and they have seasonal packages available throughout the year. Just leave enough room for us at Easter!

Room Tip: Many rooms have either a small patio or a balcony and lake view is best.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family