“Resortalicious??”
Review of The Briars

The Briars
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Jackson's Point
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My husband and had an overnight stay for 'Resortalicious'. Our package included dinner and breakfast. I called before booking and Ricardo said they could accommodate a gluten and wheat allergy. When we arrived for dinner, our server didn't know what Resortalicious was and had to get more information about it. We received the same menu as everyone else and then I was told they did not have gluten free bread or pasta but they could tell me what I could order. I had to have salad for my app because I couldn't eat anything else and I had to have fruit for dessert. Again, because they couldn't accommodate. Yet, my server said "Ask the server tomorrow morning and I'm sure the chef can make gluten free pancakes for you."

The food was fantastic. Everything tasted great!! A few hours after eating I got very sick and had a reaction to whatever was in my food. The next morning, when I went for breakfast, I spoke with a different server and told her I was very nervous about ordering breakfast because of the dinner I had the night before. She asked what I had and as soon as she heard I ate risotto, she said "You ate the risotto?" as her eyes bugged out of her head. I said, "I asked the server before I ordered and I was told it was fine." She said, "If your server said it was alright, then it should have been alright." She talked to the chef and said they didn't serve me anything with gluten or wheat. I asked about cross-contamination (touching bread or flour and then touching my food) and she said that would not happen. I was annoyed because I know it was the food that caused my reaction. Again, I had few choices on the breakfast menu. However, the breakfast server said they had gluten free bread. I had that as a part of my breakfast.

Had they been honest about the lack of accommodation from the beginning, I would not have booked the trip.

Through no fault of The Briars, it rained the day we were leaving. However, we could not use the hot tub because they were repairing it. Considering it was raining, it would have been nice to be able to use the indoor facilities.

The Inn is nice. Our room was nice. The staff are friendly. We had a later checkout but housekeeping walked into our room almost an hour before we had to leave - not her fault, she didn't know!

For the amount we paid for one night, I was truly disappointed they didn't refund anything back. Not because of the hot tub or housekeeping issues but because I was really sick from dinner.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LoveRelaxin
BriarsResort, Manager at The Briars, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Dear LoveRelaxin,

I'm very sorry to hear of your illness, we take food and environmental allergies and intolerances seriously. Our Chef and Food and Beverage Manager checked on the preparation and handling of all the food you had while with us. We are extremely careful about cross contamination in the case of allergies and believe we followed all of our protocols.

Never less you have been ill and we we did not follow up with you as well as we could have, explaining our protocols, and getting your feedback. I hope to have the opportunity to speak with you personally soon regarding your stay, and would be happy to receive a call any time.

Sincerely, Bob Law Resort Manager

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Absolutely wonderful experience - the staff, the food, the Spa and the rooms/beds were all perfect. They make you feel special, they cater to both families and singles. Loads of activities. We had a fabulous weekend. met wonderful people including an entertaining and informative chat with John Sibbald.

Room Tip: Just talk to the staff and they'll help you pick the perfect room tailored to your specific need...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear MarianMB,

We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit with us.

Thank you for your kind remarks, we hope to see you again soon.

Bob Law Resort Manager

Reviewed 14 March 2014

This is a beautiful historic property on Lake Simcoe. We stayed in the beach house right on the water. The room we stayed in was clean with the decor and furnishings somewhat dated. It looked like the bathroom had recently been renovated. The food and service was excellent. A lot of the areas like the bar and dinner area need some freshening up even though there are historic elements to the buildings. A lot of positives but not enough for me to rush back. This would be a really nice spot during the summer.

2  Thank JeffIcey
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My husband and I returned to the Briars the first week in February for a 4 day, 3 night stay. I can't tell how much we enjoyed ourselves, yet again there. As soon as we arrived, Ricardo welcomed us back like we were old friends. After unpacking, my husband and I thought we would go to the bar for a cocktail. Carlo welcomed us and said how nice to see us again. We felt like family. I can not say enough about the staff. They are extremely friendly and go out of their way to help or suggest things to do. The food was outstanding and everything we had was excellent. Our room overlooked the peacock house which at night, was lite up. Really pretty to see. Our room was clean and very comfortable. The fireplace was an enjoyable addition as February is a cold month and this just added to the comfort that this resorts provides. Would we ever return.....there is no question about that......in a heart beat. A big thank you to all the Briars Staff for making our visit so enjoyable.. .

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We spent the family day weekend at the Briars and were very satisfied.
We were two couples in a lakeside cottage, and although there were some issues with the power the staff did everything possible to mitigate the situation.
The dining room was excellent, and the grounds well done for a winter weekend.
We were happy to see a great mix of couples, families, and seniors all enjoying the same space. They also did a good job of allowing for Olympic watching during the weekend.
The resort has done well to encourage a new audience .
Special thanks to Bob who looked after our issues. We will,be back.
Ian

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We didn't really know what to expect. We had checked this resort out in 2011 for our wedding, but decided immediately that it was too rustic for a wedding. So, a couple of years later when we wanted to go somewhere within a relatively short distance for a one-night getaway, we decided to try it out.

If you don't want to read on, I'll summarize by saying I would NOT consider this an ideal location for a romantic getaway, for a spa getaway, or for a wedding, but that's based on our preferences. We would consider it ideal for family fun. They seem to have lots of activities for the kids. It's not a 'clean' feeling resort - the rooms are very old and should be updated, the pillows are very thin and poor quality (as well as the blankets), the bathrooms aren't very nice. The water smells which is obviously inevitable due to the well water, but I couldn't take it for very long. There was no counter top in our bathroom which makes it hard to brush your teeth, do your makeup, etc. The towels are paper thin and very small.

Immediately after booking, I contacted the spa to see about booking some spa treatments. They had nothing available :( I mentioned that we'd probably not come up in that case, so they squeezed me in for a facial, which I was grateful for, but I'd really wanted other treatments as well. The facial was okay - the lady was very nice, they forgot to give me my skincare samples though so I was a little disappointed. It wasn't very relaxing because you could hear a lot of noise from the room I had a facial in. I think there must have been a vacuum for the entire time (an hour) just outside the door. I heard lots of laughing, talking, etc. Just not ideal when you're there to zone out and relax.

We had to arrive prior to check-in since that was the only time they could get me a spa treatment. Unfortunately, our room wasn't ready early so my husband wandered around with our 6 month old baby. I guess we didn't expect much else, but it would have been nice if the room could have been ready early since we came for the only spa appointment available. After my treatment, we went to Drinkwaters Lounge for a quick lunch. My husband had the pork sliders and I had an arugula salad. Both were good. The service was extremely slow, which was odd because we were the only ones there.

We hung out in the lounge until our room was finally ready. We had to drive a minute down the road to our room as it wasn't in the main building (it was called the Mayfair room I believe). There were several rooms in one cottage, with a shared main area containing board games, etc. which was cute. Our room was quite dirty though, and the crib they provided for our baby didn't look very clean either. Fortunately we had another portable crib in the car so we just used that. It would be a neat set-up for a group of families to be all together under one roof with a sizable common area. (FYI the hair dryers provided are useless, and the wi-fi cut out a lot.)

Our dinner reservations were for 6 pm, so eventually we headed back over to the main area. This was a highlight of the trip - we were very impressed with the food and the staff at the restaurant. We each had salads to start, then a sirloin steak and lamb chop. I read negative reviews of the lamb on here, but my husband enjoyed it. Our baby grew fussy as she was teething, so a nice lady at the restaurant who we assume was the manager, offered to package up our meals. She sent us off with cutlery, our meals, and 2 desserts - I had a bowl of fresh berries and my husband had the creme brulee. The fruit was delicious and very fresh. My husband enjoyed his dessert as well. It was difficult to carry everything out as I was on crutches at the time, and we had a baby, but fortunately my husband managed after making a very trips out to the car. The portions of food were generous. Usually you don't get many vegetables, but they had nice portion sizes and they were tasty.

We were exhausted by the time we got back, so we had some wine and hung out in our room. The next day, we decided to go for breakfast before a swim, which was also included in our stay. There was a very nice server who kept entertaining our baby, which we thought was very sweet. He was very young so we were impressed by this. At breakfast, everything was excellent again. (My only complaint would be that it's hard to navigate a buffet on crutches, but my husband managed to cater to me!) The fruit was fresh, my husband said the meat was good...all was great, especially for being included.

Next, we went to the pool for our baby's first experience swimming. We were disappointed because the pool was freezing, but we still went in and had some fun. There were no towels and the towels from our room were used, so that was kind of a bummer.

All in all, we had a nice time! Apparently they had dog sledding and other activities going on. I'm sure kids would like this. We were surprised that the clientele largely seemed more senior, because it certainly felt more like a family fun destination to us.

Room Tip: Mayfair cottages may require you to climb stairs.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Jessica F
BriarsResort, Manager at The Briars, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Jessica,

We are sorry for your disappointment in our accommodation in our cottage area during
your recent stay. As noted the lodges are rustic, I think that you and your family would find
a room in the Inn more to your liking, with it's proximity to the dining, spa and indoor recreation
area. I'd hope you like to give us another go, if so please give me a call I'd be happy to
look after your booking.

Bob Law , Resort Manager

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Charming property run by an incredible family who took time out of their lives to introduce us into theirs.The Georgian era construction of the main house is quaint with a beautiful library and a comfortable sitting area. The building itself was built in multiple phases so there are these brilliant little connections everywhere. We stayed in a room called the Green Room and found it to be more than adequate. We went in February, and on the Friday before Family Day weekend the cross-country ski trails were empty and we enjoyed them thoroughly to get a sense of the expanse of the gigantic property. Skating is on a cute pond which was filled with kids playing hockey. There is a mid-size indoor pool (with whirlpool and sauna), not visited by many, I'm guessing due to the more advanced age of the average clientele. The spa is quite excellent but fills rapidly.

But the real charm in this place is the Sibbald family. Boy did they go out of their way to make us feel comfortable. We had the pleasure of hearing the matriarch, Barbara Sibbald regale us with history of how the Briars came to be, and how the Sibbald family came to acquire it and develop it. The "History Room" is filled with these brilliant journals and maps that any Ontario history buff would just love. The "country walk" consists of Hugh Sibbald taking you through the property, telling absolutely fantastic tales of the locals -- Stephen Leacock's parents, Peter Gzowski in his underwear, Major Rains and his polygamist tendencies, the couple that sold Fishcrisp to Walmart. What a charming group of individuals that clearly love what they do.

If I could offer some minor criticism, it has to do with the seating arrangements in the dining room. They are assigned by some ad hoc system and on one occasion we were punted to alternative seats mid-meal for unclear reasons for seemingly more important people to have our seats. It may be best to clarify with the booking people prior to arrival about meal seating.

But that was minor. We loved the Briars. I sort of want to be the Sibbalds' official historian. Even if most of it is apocrypha, those were the most interesting stories of local Ontario history I've ever heard.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
BriarsResort, Manager at The Briars, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear SugarSammy,

We're glad that you enjoyed your visit with us. We look forward to
having you visit us again. If we are looking for a historian, we'll
be sure to let you know!

Bob Law, Resort Manager on behalf of the Sibbald Family.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson's Point
#6 of 19 in Barrie
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Barrie
Best Western Plus Mariposa Inn & Conference Centre
Knights Inn Harbour Resort Lagoon City Brechin

Been to The Briars? Share your experiences!