All reviewsgolf coursedining roomlake simcoeget awaymain buildingindoor poolthe cottagesmanor housegames roomwalking trailsevery mealping ponggrounds are beautifultook advantageshuttle servicecouples massageexcellent food
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

I booked a one night stay in one of the Inn Plus guest rooms. I was so excited to surprise my fiance for our anniversary and I was embarrassed and upset. I payed over 300$ for one night including dinner and breakfast. Thought this wasnt too bad considering it included the food. The best part of the dinner was the salad. We both ordered the steak and they were both over cooked. I also specifically asked when I called to book if it would be a buffet breakfast in the morning and the female reservations agent had to double check but she then said yes it would be. We were looking forward to the buffet after a crummy night and it turned out there was no buffet. Only a la carte and the food was bland.

The one thing I really cared about was the pool. When we went to the pool it was so dirty and rundown. We did not even go in.
The only positive was the balcony and fireplace. Mind you I haf to wipe the chairs and table down on the balcony because there were filthy with black dirt all over them.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
9  Thank christinaf103
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This was my 2nd visit back to the Briars and I couldn't wait. The first time was a few years ago for a girlfriends getaway. We stayed at a cottage on the lake. It was lovely and clean. When we were ready for dinner all we had to do was make a call and within 5 minutes a car came to pick us up. This time we stayed in the Bouchier wing closer to the main part of the Inn. We had a short walk to the diningroom, pool, games room. Our room was comfortable, but I did notice the bathroom floor and tub were dirty. There were pieces of thread and long hair all over the floor and bathtub. Otherwise, the room was decent. The highlight both times was the dinner. I had the new york strip loin with herb mashed potatoes/cherry tomatoes & asparagus. Delicious. My husband had the shrimp fettucini with 5 humongous shrimp. We finished off our meals with the scrumptious sticky toffee pudding. We had Kate & Lisa as our servers and both were very courteous and friendly. Suzette who wasn't our server also was a pleasure to chat with. I love this place. I like the cozy, historical, friendly aspect to this inn. This is not a modern hotel, but a quaint friendly inn.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank finnsmom1995
BriarsResort, Manager at The Briars Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Thank you for your kind remarks, we're sorry we missed the detail
attention to the bathroom we should have. Please give me a call
the next time you are thinking of visiting as we'd like to make it up
to you.

Bob Law Resort Manager

Reviewed 19 March 2014

My husband and had an overnight stay for 'Resortalicious'. Our package included dinner and breakfast. I called before booking and Ricardo said they could accommodate a gluten and wheat allergy. When we arrived for dinner, our server didn't know what Resortalicious was and had to get more information about it. We received the same menu as everyone else and then I was told they did not have gluten free bread or pasta but they could tell me what I could order. I had to have salad for my app because I couldn't eat anything else and I had to have fruit for dessert. Again, because they couldn't accommodate. Yet, my server said "Ask the server tomorrow morning and I'm sure the chef can make gluten free pancakes for you."

The food was fantastic. Everything tasted great!! A few hours after eating I got very sick and had a reaction to whatever was in my food. The next morning, when I went for breakfast, I spoke with a different server and told her I was very nervous about ordering breakfast because of the dinner I had the night before. She asked what I had and as soon as she heard I ate risotto, she said "You ate the risotto?" as her eyes bugged out of her head. I said, "I asked the server before I ordered and I was told it was fine." She said, "If your server said it was alright, then it should have been alright." She talked to the chef and said they didn't serve me anything with gluten or wheat. I asked about cross-contamination (touching bread or flour and then touching my food) and she said that would not happen. I was annoyed because I know it was the food that caused my reaction. Again, I had few choices on the breakfast menu. However, the breakfast server said they had gluten free bread. I had that as a part of my breakfast.

Had they been honest about the lack of accommodation from the beginning, I would not have booked the trip.

Through no fault of The Briars, it rained the day we were leaving. However, we could not use the hot tub because they were repairing it. Considering it was raining, it would have been nice to be able to use the indoor facilities.

The Inn is nice. Our room was nice. The staff are friendly. We had a later checkout but housekeeping walked into our room almost an hour before we had to leave - not her fault, she didn't know!

For the amount we paid for one night, I was truly disappointed they didn't refund anything back. Not because of the hot tub or housekeeping issues but because I was really sick from dinner.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LoveRelaxin
BriarsResort, Manager at The Briars Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Dear LoveRelaxin,

I'm very sorry to hear of your illness, we take food and environmental allergies and intolerances seriously. Our Chef and Food and Beverage Manager checked on the preparation and handling of all the food you had while with us. We are extremely careful about cross contamination in the case of allergies and believe we followed all of our protocols.

Never less you have been ill and we we did not follow up with you as well as we could have, explaining our protocols, and getting your feedback. I hope to have the opportunity to speak with you personally soon regarding your stay, and would be happy to receive a call any time.

Sincerely, Bob Law Resort Manager

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Absolutely wonderful experience - the staff, the food, the Spa and the rooms/beds were all perfect. They make you feel special, they cater to both families and singles. Loads of activities. We had a fabulous weekend. met wonderful people including an entertaining and informative chat with John Sibbald.

Room Tip: Just talk to the staff and they'll help you pick the perfect room tailored to your specific needs.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear MarianMB,

We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit with us.

Thank you for your kind remarks, we hope to see you again soon.

Bob Law Resort Manager

Reviewed 14 March 2014

This is a beautiful historic property on Lake Simcoe. We stayed in the beach house right on the water. The room we stayed in was clean with the decor and furnishings somewhat dated. It looked like the bathroom had recently been renovated. The food and service was excellent. A lot of the areas like the bar and dinner area need some freshening up even though there are historic elements to the buildings. A lot of positives but not enough for me to rush back. This would be a really nice spot during the summer.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple