“Long weekend”

The Briars
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jackson's Point
“Long weekend”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Since we have an 8 year old, we spend a lot of time in different resorts, hotels and B&B's in Ontario. We didn't want to drive very far from Toronto and the Briars was offering Easter activities for kids so we decided to give it a try. Here are our findings. The food was exceptional and so was the staff that served the food. That's about it. The first thing I noticed in the Bouchier wing (which must be original from the time it was built) was the smell from what obviously were smoking rooms before. Our room was way too small which we were willing to put up with since we booked a week in advance. But it was so small that when we opened the sofa bed, it barely left any room between the foot of the queen size bed and the sofa bed. The room had a coffee maker in the bathroom which was slightly shocking and there was no ventilation in the bathroom. The bathtub had those little anti-slippery stickers which were gray and they were obviously original as well. In short, the unit was screaming for an update. When I asked the reception, I was told that they could give us a suite which was slightly bigger but everything else was more or less the same. The swimming pool had slightly greenish tint so we didn't venture there.
The Briars advertised a weekend with Easter activities such as Easter Egg hunt which we have naively thought would be for children. The special prize was a golden egg with which the lucky individual won a fall or winter weekend at the Briars. There were only 4 families with children and to our big surprise there were about 20 adults who came to participate the in hunt as well. Needless to say an adult found the golden egg and since the staff didn't mention that it was for children only and adults had obviously no shame, we came to the conclusion that the Briars had no interest to promote it to families with children. This was also surprising because most of the clientele that weekend were seniors - way beyond 65 seniors.
In addition, there was there no email follow-up and when I unsubscribed from their email and noted that we were not not happy during our visit, nobody got back to me. The Briars also offers cottages but when we found out that they have not been updated and that they cost aver $700 a night, we thought that perhaps we would like to take advantage of the newly built Trump hotel in Toronto that costs the same per night. Perhaps seniors do not care about the quality of their accommodation or perhaps they do not communicate via email but the Briars doesn't compare to any other resort we've visited in Ontario so we will not be coming back there soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jana S
BriarsResort, Manager at The Briars, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Jana,

We're very sorry your experience over Easter was disappointing, and that we have
let you down. I apologise for not knowing about your concerns while you were with
us and hope to speak with you soon.

Bob Law, Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and I just spent a fabulous weekend away at the Briars (May 3rd-5th). This was our second visit (our first was in 2010). Everything surpassed our expectations once again. The food was incredible, the staff were very accommodating and professional and we took full advantage of all available activities including darts, ping pong, pool, badminton, hiking , indoor swimming, the sauna, and the spa.

Thank you for another great holiday!

Laurie and Rob

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I spent the Easter weekend with my husband at the Briars and I should say that we both had a good time. We went there for our babymoon. On leaving on Sunday, we could say that we did not have any complain about the resort and it was a good getaway. The hotel room was clean, the staffs are friendly and the food was good. I should say that 90% of the guests were seniors or people in their 50s, however that did not make any difference in terms of activities available to do as a young couple looking for some quiet time away from the city. We would definitely go again. If you are looking for a modern resort, The Briars is not the resort you should go to. But as we like the colonial style and charm of the resort, therefore we were not bothered by the decor at all but actually enjoyed it. I guess the resort will be even prettier during the summer.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Parween S
BriarsResort, Manager at The Briars, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Parween,

We are glad that you had a nice visit with us over Easter, we hope to see you again for
a visit when the gardens are blooming and the lake is much warmer! Thank you for
staying with us.

Bob Law
Resort Manager
Courtice
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

I booked a one night stay in one of the Inn Plus guest rooms. I was so excited to surprise my fiance for our anniversary and I was embarrassed and upset. I payed over 300$ for one night including dinner and breakfast. Thought this wasnt too bad considering it included the food. The best part of the dinner was the salad. We both ordered the steak and they were both over cooked. I also specifically asked when I called to book if it would be a buffet breakfast in the morning and the female reservations agent had to double check but she then said yes it would be. We were looking forward to the buffet after a crummy night and it turned out there was no buffet. Only a la carte and the food was bland.

The one thing I really cared about was the pool. When we went to the pool it was so dirty and rundown. We did not even go in.
The only positive was the balcony and fireplace. Mind you I haf to wipe the chairs and table down on the balcony because there were filthy with black dirt all over them.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank christinaf103
Wellandport, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

This was my 2nd visit back to the Briars and I couldn't wait. The first time was a few years ago for a girlfriends getaway. We stayed at a cottage on the lake. It was lovely and clean. When we were ready for dinner all we had to do was make a call and within 5 minutes a car came to pick us up. This time we stayed in the Bouchier wing closer to the main part of the Inn. We had a short walk to the diningroom, pool, games room. Our room was comfortable, but I did notice the bathroom floor and tub were dirty. There were pieces of thread and long hair all over the floor and bathtub. Otherwise, the room was decent. The highlight both times was the dinner. I had the new york strip loin with herb mashed potatoes/cherry tomatoes & asparagus. Delicious. My husband had the shrimp fettucini with 5 humongous shrimp. We finished off our meals with the scrumptious sticky toffee pudding. We had Kate & Lisa as our servers and both were very courteous and friendly. Suzette who wasn't our server also was a pleasure to chat with. I love this place. I like the cozy, historical, friendly aspect to this inn. This is not a modern hotel, but a quaint friendly inn.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank finnsmom1995
BriarsResort, Manager at The Briars, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Thank you for your kind remarks, we're sorry we missed the detail
attention to the bathroom we should have. Please give me a call
the next time you are thinking of visiting as we'd like to make it up
to you.

Bob Law Resort Manager
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

My husband and had an overnight stay for 'Resortalicious'. Our package included dinner and breakfast. I called before booking and Ricardo said they could accommodate a gluten and wheat allergy. When we arrived for dinner, our server didn't know what Resortalicious was and had to get more information about it. We received the same menu as everyone else and then I was told they did not have gluten free bread or pasta but they could tell me what I could order. I had to have salad for my app because I couldn't eat anything else and I had to have fruit for dessert. Again, because they couldn't accommodate. Yet, my server said "Ask the server tomorrow morning and I'm sure the chef can make gluten free pancakes for you."

The food was fantastic. Everything tasted great!! A few hours after eating I got very sick and had a reaction to whatever was in my food. The next morning, when I went for breakfast, I spoke with a different server and told her I was very nervous about ordering breakfast because of the dinner I had the night before. She asked what I had and as soon as she heard I ate risotto, she said "You ate the risotto?" as her eyes bugged out of her head. I said, "I asked the server before I ordered and I was told it was fine." She said, "If your server said it was alright, then it should have been alright." She talked to the chef and said they didn't serve me anything with gluten or wheat. I asked about cross-contamination (touching bread or flour and then touching my food) and she said that would not happen. I was annoyed because I know it was the food that caused my reaction. Again, I had few choices on the breakfast menu. However, the breakfast server said they had gluten free bread. I had that as a part of my breakfast.

Had they been honest about the lack of accommodation from the beginning, I would not have booked the trip.

Through no fault of The Briars, it rained the day we were leaving. However, we could not use the hot tub because they were repairing it. Considering it was raining, it would have been nice to be able to use the indoor facilities.

The Inn is nice. Our room was nice. The staff are friendly. We had a later checkout but housekeeping walked into our room almost an hour before we had to leave - not her fault, she didn't know!

For the amount we paid for one night, I was truly disappointed they didn't refund anything back. Not because of the hot tub or housekeeping issues but because I was really sick from dinner.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LoveRelaxin
BriarsResort, Manager at The Briars, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Dear LoveRelaxin,

I'm very sorry to hear of your illness, we take food and environmental allergies and intolerances seriously. Our Chef and Food and Beverage Manager checked on the preparation and handling of all the food you had while with us. We are extremely careful about cross contamination in the case of allergies and believe we followed all of our protocols.

Never less you have been ill and we we did not follow up with you as well as we could have, explaining our protocols, and getting your feedback. I hope to have the opportunity to speak with you personally soon regarding your stay, and would be happy to receive a call any time.

Sincerely, Bob Law Resort Manager
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Absolutely wonderful experience - the staff, the food, the Spa and the rooms/beds were all perfect. They make you feel special, they cater to both families and singles. Loads of activities. We had a fabulous weekend. met wonderful people including an entertaining and informative chat with John Sibbald.

Room Tip: Just talk to the staff and they'll help you pick the perfect room tailored to your specific need...