“The Briars Resort”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jackson's Point
Toronto, Canada
“The Briars Resort”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The Briars Resort and Spa was the most peaceful, tranquile, and restful week that I have ever experienced. It is a family resort and getaway from the city. Great rooms, amazing food, and friendly staff members contributed to my stay.

Room Tip: A variety of rooms to choose from within the main house or rent a cottage overlooking Lake Simcoe.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Claire0720132014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

For the past 6 year several of our graduating class have gathered at The Briars to reconnect and build upon our friendship Once again we found the Briars the perfect venue for such an occasion Great food , comfy environment physically and aesthetically, super service all went together allowing us to put our feet up, wander the trails, swim,(inside or out) golf, explore the local history, indulge in a massage,etc all at our own pace ! Will be back next year. Thankyou to all the staff

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank judieb42
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Since we have an 8 year old, we spend a lot of time in different resorts, hotels and B&B's in Ontario. We didn't want to drive very far from Toronto and the Briars was offering Easter activities for kids so we decided to give it a try. Here are our findings. The food was exceptional and so was the staff that served the food. That's about it. The first thing I noticed in the Bouchier wing (which must be original from the time it was built) was the smell from what obviously were smoking rooms before. Our room was way too small which we were willing to put up with since we booked a week in advance. But it was so small that when we opened the sofa bed, it barely left any room between the foot of the queen size bed and the sofa bed. The room had a coffee maker in the bathroom which was slightly shocking and there was no ventilation in the bathroom. The bathtub had those little anti-slippery stickers which were gray and they were obviously original as well. In short, the unit was screaming for an update. When I asked the reception, I was told that they could give us a suite which was slightly bigger but everything else was more or less the same. The swimming pool had slightly greenish tint so we didn't venture there.
The Briars advertised a weekend with Easter activities such as Easter Egg hunt which we have naively thought would be for children. The special prize was a golden egg with which the lucky individual won a fall or winter weekend at the Briars. There were only 4 families with children and to our big surprise there were about 20 adults who came to participate the in hunt as well. Needless to say an adult found the golden egg and since the staff didn't mention that it was for children only and adults had obviously no shame, we came to the conclusion that the Briars had no interest to promote it to families with children. This was also surprising because most of the clientele that weekend were seniors - way beyond 65 seniors.
In addition, there was there no email follow-up and when I unsubscribed from their email and noted that we were not not happy during our visit, nobody got back to me. The Briars also offers cottages but when we found out that they have not been updated and that they cost aver $700 a night, we thought that perhaps we would like to take advantage of the newly built Trump hotel in Toronto that costs the same per night. Perhaps seniors do not care about the quality of their accommodation or perhaps they do not communicate via email but the Briars doesn't compare to any other resort we've visited in Ontario so we will not be coming back there soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jana S
BriarsResort, Manager at The Briars, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Jana,

We're very sorry your experience over Easter was disappointing, and that we have
let you down. I apologise for not knowing about your concerns while you were with
us and hope to speak with you soon.

Bob Law, Resort Manager
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and I just spent a fabulous weekend away at the Briars (May 3rd-5th). This was our second visit (our first was in 2010). Everything surpassed our expectations once again. The food was incredible, the staff were very accommodating and professional and we took full advantage of all available activities including darts, ping pong, pool, badminton, hiking , indoor swimming, the sauna, and the spa.

Thank you for another great holiday!

Laurie and Rob

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I spent the Easter weekend with my husband at the Briars and I should say that we both had a good time. We went there for our babymoon. On leaving on Sunday, we could say that we did not have any complain about the resort and it was a good getaway. The hotel room was clean, the staffs are friendly and the food was good. I should say that 90% of the guests were seniors or people in their 50s, however that did not make any difference in terms of activities available to do as a young couple looking for some quiet time away from the city. We would definitely go again. If you are looking for a modern resort, The Briars is not the resort you should go to. But as we like the colonial style and charm of the resort, therefore we were not bothered by the decor at all but actually enjoyed it. I guess the resort will be even prettier during the summer.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Parween S
BriarsResort, Manager at The Briars, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Parween,

We are glad that you had a nice visit with us over Easter, we hope to see you again for
a visit when the gardens are blooming and the lake is much warmer! Thank you for
staying with us.

Bob Law
Resort Manager
Courtice
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

I booked a one night stay in one of the Inn Plus guest rooms. I was so excited to surprise my fiance for our anniversary and I was embarrassed and upset. I payed over 300$ for one night including dinner and breakfast. Thought this wasnt too bad considering it included the food. The best part of the dinner was the salad. We both ordered the steak and they were both over cooked. I also specifically asked when I called to book if it would be a buffet breakfast in the morning and the female reservations agent had to double check but she then said yes it would be. We were looking forward to the buffet after a crummy night and it turned out there was no buffet. Only a la carte and the food was bland.

The one thing I really cared about was the pool. When we went to the pool it was so dirty and rundown. We did not even go in.
The only positive was the balcony and fireplace. Mind you I haf to wipe the chairs and table down on the balcony because there were filthy with black dirt all over them.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank christinaf103
Wellandport, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This was my 2nd visit back to the Briars and I couldn't wait. The first time was a few years ago for a girlfriends getaway. We stayed at a cottage on the lake. It was lovely and clean. When we were ready for dinner all we had to do was make a call and within 5 minutes a car came to pick us up. This time we stayed in the Bouchier wing closer to the main part of the Inn. We had a short walk to the diningroom, pool, games room. Our room was comfortable, but I did notice the bathroom floor and tub were dirty. There were pieces of thread and long hair all over the floor and bathtub. Otherwise, the room was decent. The highlight both times was the dinner. I had the new york strip loin with herb mashed potatoes/cherry tomatoes & asparagus. Delicious. My husband had the shrimp fettucini with 5 humongous shrimp. We finished off our meals with the scrumptious sticky toffee pudding. We had Kate & Lisa as our servers and both were very courteous and friendly. Suzette who wasn't our server also was a pleasure to chat with. I love this place. I like the cozy, historical, friendly aspect to this inn. This is not a modern hotel, but a quaint friendly inn.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank finnsmom1995
BriarsResort, Manager at The Briars, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Thank you for your kind remarks, we're sorry we missed the detail
attention to the bathroom we should have. Please give me a call
the next time you are thinking of visiting as we'd like to make it up
to you.

Comfort Inn
#2 of 4 in Newmarket
Best Western Royal Oak Inn
Whispering Pines Cottages and Vacation Rentals
Whispering Pines Cottages and Va...
#1 of 1 in Jackson's Point

Been to The Briars? Share your experiences!