“Lovely but I won't recommend given current circumstances”

Whispering Pines Cottages and Vacation Rentals
Bedford NS
“Lovely but I won't recommend given current circumstances”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

My review is not for a bed and breakfast type of stay but one where we had the run of the house and grounds and brought our own food. The whole building was rented for a weekend for a family event, and the owners were not present. I was not involved in the rental arrangement and do not know the costs. I speak from the point of view of having middle of the road expectations, knowing that it was in cottage country (with the additional expectation of wifi which was listed in the email we received before arriving).

First impression was delightful - beautiful grounds, spacious, large outside verandah for socializing, beautiful common areas. Inviting library nook at the landing on the way to the second story. I stayed in one of the “fishermen’s rooms” with two twin beds. Simple, adequate. The bed I used was solid (and VERY tall).

I shared an ensuite bathroom with one other room. The slide lock on my side of the door to the bathroom to secure my room did not latch. Hall doors lock from the inside but no keys were provided to secure your room when you leave. As well, often the outside door to the house was unlocked during the day with no idea if anyone was in or not.

We were told by email to bring our own towels if we wished to use the pool (which I heard was very nice; I did not use it). I used my towel for the shower since the towels provided were too small and few for a whole weekend. Ceiling lights had one light bulb rather than two in most fixtures; some table lamps were missing light bulbs altogether. This and other details made it seem like the owners were cutting every possible corner.

Some other comments:
- There were pencil marks, lines, holes etc, in/on the bathroom wall around the toilet that looked like some repair work was going to be done but had not been.
- There was significant grime build up on the window sills. Other guests commented on cleanliness so I don’t think this was unusual.
- There were no washcloths or tea towels. I was told that a bundle was sent over after other guests were in touch with the owners.
- The industrial toilet paper was incredibly thin and there was only one spare roll for an entire weekend for a bathroom shared between two rooms.
- The metal elbow to open and shut the door to one room was loose and tended to fall in when the door was open, meaning that you had to push it up to be able to close the door again. An older woman stayed in that room and needed assistance to come and go since she could not reach to fix it.

The front door uses on an electric lock with a code which is a great idea if it works. In my opinion, the door should be auto locking; often it was unlocked when I arrived but there would be no one in view inside or out. I left my laptop, etc. in my car whenever I left the house. However, on Saturday night, in contrast, we could not UNlock it. My brother and I ended up attempting to enter through a window! Fortunately, a younger guest showed up and told us the trick to open a door like that when the batteries are dying (pull hard, etc., etc.). I looked through the pamphlets in the entry afterwards so I could be prepared next time I needed something, but did not find contact information.

The website (I looked at it after the trip) advertises air conditioning, wifi, and hot tub. The wifi did not work, the air conditioning was not on and there were no circulating fans (for a full house for a weekend at the end of June), and we were informed in the introductory email that the hot tub was for the owner's use only. Interestingly, when I returned at noon on Sunday to pick up my luggage, the air conditioning was on. I was shocked; I'd assumed there was none in the period house.

Also, I discovered an extensive list of cleaning rules on a printout in the guest book. Bring your own garbage bags! Really? Do the towels, run the dishwasher. To my knowledge we did not have to clean the building (it was never mentioned to me by the person who booked the space for us), I was not comfortable with the thought that I was sleeping in a place that had been cleaned by previous guests. "Leave the space as you found it" is acceptable, but I was concerned about the health aspects of this arrangement, given that there was neglect evident.

It was and is a beautiful place, full of character and in a great location. A bit of attention to the basic and advertised amenities would turn this from a two star to a five star rating.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank snuzke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2013

My husband and I booked the whole space for the weekend of our wedding to host our close friends and family. The property is stunning, and the owners have put a lot of energy into the grounds and salt-water swimming pool. The house is a bit mishmash in terms of decoration and not particularly clean, though I would say that it really is quite charming. The jacuzzi, though advertised, was not working and though there was a fire pit, we were instructed that it was against a bylaw to have an outdoor fire. The owner was quite pleasant with us throughout our communications, though she had trouble responding to emails within a reasonable time frame. We were told that we could enjoy an extra night after our festivities to unwind as she didn't have the space booked, which we took her up on. There seemed to have been a misunderstanding about paying for cleaning the space: we spent about 4 hours cleaning the house at the end of the weekend, though she demanded that we pay for a cleaner. It, among a few other things, left a sour taste in my mouth--I ended up feeling that I was nickel and dimed to a ridiculous degree. Each cot was a $35 charge extra. Use of the BBQ was $35 extra. Having someone re-clean the house was $120 extra. We even had to negotiate quite hard to have the heated pool open for use. That, on top of the strenuous rules, made the experience bittersweet.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Florencebravo
Branson, Missouri
Reviewed 3 October 2012

My husband and I have been staying at Whispering Pines Bed and Breakfast over the past eight years, while visiting family and friends in the area. We recently recently enjoyed a 3 day stay and thought we would take the time to give a review. Our room was nicely decorated with a comfortable bed, bathroom was immaculately clean, breakfast was very tasty, consisted of a choice of bacon and eggs, pancakes, variety of cereals, breads coffee and teas. We really enjoyed the fresh fruit plate every morning. The highlight of our day was waking up to a fresh cup of coffee which we sipped at the pool side or in the garden. The hosts were very hospitable and accomadating, also very knowlegdeable about places to go for dining or pleasure.
We found the front door combination lock system very convenient for going and coming at any hour. We highly recommend this B&B for anyone looking to have an extended stay since there is so much to see and do in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Our family of four also stayed at the Whispering Pines while attending a wedding at the Briars - the same weekend as the other review I believe - and I can't believe they are talking about the same place! We found the total experience to be very pleasant and would recommend this B&B to others without hesitation. The house is full of lovely character and charm, and very clean...the dishes/cutlery etc we used were spotless and the food delicious, and very plentiful with lots of options for all tastes. The hosts were very friendly and made us feel very comfortable and welcome. The spacious grounds were beautiful and made me wish we had more time to relax and enjoy them.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Toronto, ON
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Stayed here while attending a wedding at the Briars. House is quite old and decor is a mish-mash of things so nothing seems 'sparkling clean'. Bed was comfortable. Went down to the buffet breakfast but was turned off by dirty cutlery, cups, dishes, etc. and excessive amounts of butter/oils in the food. Hosts never introduced themselves. Was only told 'here's your room'. No info on breakfast, keys (but as others have pointed out, nothing is locked), check out, etc. Perhaps I was there on an off weekend. Was a cheaper alternative to the Briars but don't think I'd go back or recommend to others unless the only requirement is a place to sleep.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Peter F, Owner at Whispering Pines Cottages and Vacation Rentals, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
We find it difficult to recognize our inn from the negative comments posted in this review. Whispering Pines is a century home, and each guest room is decorated with its own unique theme. Over the ten years we have been in business, we have received numerous compliments on the charm, warmth, and cleanliness of our rooms. This being said, we also pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our establishment. This applies not only to the bedrooms, but also to the dining area where our guests are served breakfast. Our breakfast buffet is invariably well-received, and the dishes we serve do not contain excessive amounts of butter or oil. Everyone who comes to our inn receives a full tour of the facility. However, there are times when guests arrive late and are in a hurry to reach their individual destinations or celebrations. In such unusual circumstances, it may not be possible to offer a complete tour of the inn. The doors to our rooms are equipped with locks and keys are available from the owners with a small refundable deposit. On most weekends, when guests are expected to return late at night, our front door is left open while at other times guests are given an access code to our keyless entry. In either case, our inn has its own security system, enabling the owners to fully monitor any activity around the grounds. This system is important, especially for our winter ice-fishing clientele and their snowmobiles, four-wheelers, and other equipment that may be stored on our premises. Each of our rooms is equipped with a welcome and information sheet which gives a brief overview of the inn, check-in and check-out times, and and the time when breakfast is served. On the other hand, In cases when a single large group has booked into our inn, the serving time is determined by said group. We would also like to note that on occasion, the Whispering Pines Inn is rented in its entirety as a cottage. In this instance, the owners are not present and it is the responsibility of the guests to provide their own breakfast and maintain the cleanliness of the inn throughout their stay.

It is unfortunate that this guest had such a negative experience at Whispering Pines and we hope that this response will set the record straight regarding the critical comments posted on this site.
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We traveled to Whispering Pines to spend the weekend. Everything was fabulous, great pool, lots of cozy seating areas, and very kind hosts. The grounds are fabulous and we were given free reign over them.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MoistOwlet
Vaughan
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I spent a few days at Whispering Pines recently. I found that the property is lovely, with a fish pond, gardens, hammock and tent/gazebo. The pool was also lovely, though I was disappointed that the advertised hot tub was not functioning. I was also not entirely pleased with my room. The bed was uncomfortable and the bathtub was quite filthy. I had to clean it myself before I could get in. Breakfasts were delicious, though. We had a full selection of hot and cold items each day including yogurt, fresh fruit, cereal, eggs, bacon and potatoes. The hosts were pleasant and accommodating, but ultimately, the price we paid was simply too high for the quality of the accommodations. For this reason, I did not find it a great value.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Knights Inn Harbour Resort Lagoon City Brechin
Super 8 Barrie
Super 8 Barrie
#3 of 19 in Barrie

Been to Whispering Pines Cottages and Vacation Rentals? Share your experiences!