“Great location...shame about the service.”
Review of Deerhurst Resort

Deerhurst Resort
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed in a lakeside room, great view and a nice size but pretty basic for the price; there was no refrigerator for example. Probably more suited to families than couples, for the popular activities like dog sledding, book in advance. The cross country ski track on site was busy, I would recommend taking the drive up to Algonquin Nation Park if you fancy a decent ski and getting away from the crowds. The snowshoeing was also good fun, particularly if you do the longer routes, the Bear Trail was deserted. The ice rink was disappointingly small and only really suitable for small children. We found the service at the lobby bar and in the Eclipse restaurant consistently poor with very long waits to be seated and served. Food and drink was distinctly average for the prices being charged. Poor service at the Lobby Bar was a daily occurrence and really detracted from what could have been a very nice stay. Stunning location though and great views.

Room Tip: If travelling with a family, stay in a self catering apartment, the buffet breakfasts are overpriced...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris G
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Thank you for posting a review. We are glad you had the opportunity to stay in one our newly renovated Lakeside Rooms which offer a stunning view of Peninsula Lake. As room features vary from room to room, we recommend guests advise us of their preferences in advance so we can recommend the right type of accommodation to ensure they have a seamless and memorable stay with us.

Our guests are enjoying all that winter has to offer and as you note, we recommend guests visit our website to learn more about the activities and contact us directly to make advance reservations to get deserved date/times for activities, spa, show and dinning.

We do apologize for the dining inconsistencies you experienced, which I assure you is not the level of service Deerhurst Resort is known to provide. Your comments have been shared with our Director of Food & Beverage as we are committed to continuous improvement and delivering the best experience possible and your comments assist us in these efforts.

We hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back in the future to ensure you leave with a more positive impression of our culinary offering. Please contact us at info@deerhurstresort.com, should you wish to give us another try.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed here over Christmas in 2 suites in the summit lodge - while we had a great time it was more so due to the work that we put into the trip (and the fact that it was Christmas) than Deerhurst, their level of customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

The Pro’s:

- Rooms in summit lodge are very nice; they are plenty spacious for large groups with lots of available and comfy seating.
- The kitchenette was impressively outfitted with a decent size fridge, a stove top and a microwave. However I would not recommend relying on the small equipment like cutlery and dishes, bringing disposable from home would be a good idea. We also brought our own full size coffee maker which turned out to be a good thing as theirs was very slow to brew.
- The pool area is very nice and large – even with a lot of people using it it felt spacious. They could use an additional hot tub though. There is also a bizarre maze to get to the change rooms and you could only access the pool past a door which said men’s change room – the only way to know this was when other women who had already been through saw the confused ladies trying to figure out the puzzle and took pity on them.
- The natural setting and scenery are very nice – if you are looking for a winter wonderland straight out of a Christmas card this will work.

The Con’s:

- Check in process: check in is at 4pm, I had emailed ahead of time and requested an early check in due to having lots of Christmas presents etc. that had to be unloaded and hidden away before the children arrived, when I tried to check in at 3:15 I was told rooms would not be ready until 4…I was also told we would be getting 2 main floor rooms in the nearest building, the lady even went so far as circling the building on the map for me. I then went and found parking right near our building (which parking is limited!) and then sat in the lobby until 4. I then waited in line for a full ten minutes again to get my room keys – when I did we were then placed in a further building on the second floor!!!! I was extremely disappointed but they did not seem to care – not only did I have to carry presents up and down a hill to unload but up and down a set of stairs, it was very inconvenient.
- The staff in general does not seem very well informed – every time you ask a different person a question you get a different answer…for a resort of this caliber they should be highly trained, knowledgeable and helpful, most of the time this was not the case. For example when down in the winter shop I heard a clerk telling a lady she could take her family tubing at arrowhead park – when in fact it was Christmas day and I had confirmed with Arrowhead directly earlier that week that they were not open on Christmas day, when I advised of this he said that was unusual…as if I was making the info up!
- The housekeeping team did a horrible job cleaning our room - you’d never know they came had it not been for the made beds. The toilet paper in our bathroom was left empty and the front hall was not mopped for all the salt and water stains – in winter a quick 1 minute mop down of floors should be a no brainer.

- We had both Christmas brunch and dinner in the main dining room Eclipse. While the brunch was very good the dinner was very expensive and extremely disappointing. For dinner there was not a very good selection – there was no normal white mashed or roasted potatoes, only sweet potatoes which you can’t really put turkey gravy on! The turkey was tasteless and the dessert section was better at brunch than dinner. For Christmas dinner you would have expected something truly special and delicious and it was neither…we also heard other tables talking about how it was a disappointment. If we were to come again we would cart our own dinner from home with us and heat it up in the kitchenette!

Overall – as mentioned above it is a nice resort, but they need to improve the food and really work on their customer service, going above and beyond to make sure guests have a great experience should habit for them but it’s unfortunately not.

3  Thank Jennifer G
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed at Deerhurst in the main lodge over New Years and we all had a great time. I agree with other reviews it is best to book your activities before you arrive especially during high times. The children enjoyed the pool but we as well as other guests found the pool room temperature cold. New Years dinner was very good but due to it being a buffet some of the items were cold and for the price paid we expected hot food. It would have been nice to see the children's entertainment in the Kids Zone go to a later hour closer to midnight. Otherwise we had a great stay and the kids didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

We are glad you enjoyed your relaxing getaway at Deerhurst Resort and appreciate the time you have taken to share you feedback as we continue to monitor our customers' thoughts, comments and feedback in order to adjust our operations and communication –including our Holiday season for 2014/2015.

Future guests: Advance reservations are recommended for dining, activities, show and spa. Please visit our website to learn more or contact us directly at info@deerhurstresort.com.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

The suites we had were adequate. It would help to have mops and brooms to clean up the floors from the wet boots. They do clean once a day but in winter it would be nice to clean up yourself. The building did not have an elevator so may be difficult for older visitors on the top floor. It had a lovely central area for guests to sit or even dine at huge table.

The floor show and dinner are very good. A fun family evening. The buffet breakfast is also very good. The wait staff are attentive and friendly.

There are numerous activities. There is something for everyone. We went 6 adults and 4 children ranging from ages12 to 6 and everyone loved our time spent there.

Room Tip: Ground floor if no elevator.
1  Thank PatC499248

Thank you for writing a Deerhurst Resort review. We are so glad you enjoyed your winter vacation with us and were able to partake in the many onsite activities and amenities.

As you note, we do have a variety of different types of accommodations. Our reservations team is able to assist guests and provide recommendations based on preferences especially if someone has a mobility concern.

We appreciate your suggestion to place a mop and broom in the condo, which we will take into consideration.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with others on TripAdvisor and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

It is our first stay at Deerhust. We usually go to another resort in the region for skiing over Christmas/New Year's. We are here with our 4 year old son and have friends with 3 boys in another unit. Overall the units are clean and fine. We are here for a few nights including New Year's Eve. We had a nice dinner with our friends and stayed up together until the New Year. Upon going to bed at 1am there was a sudden loud boom of music from the room above us. It was like being in a club. We called to front desk who said they would have security go to their room. The music didn't stop. I waited and called again. Still the music went on - with lots of bass booming. Eventually I fell asleep out of sheer exhaustion for maybe an hour or two to wake up to the same. Boom boom boom. The wall here are very thin. I called the service desk once again to be told that security was there as well as the OPP (police) earlier and now they wouldn't do anything further. The only thing the hotel suggested was that I could call the police myself. That's it. So here I am now up at 5:38 am, exhausted, headache with no respite for this booming music. All I wanted was a nice quiet few days up north with my family to ski. I thought it was a family resort not a rave.

We had a problem with our cable earlier in the evening and they came immediately to fix it and the men told us that the police were around then because of loud partiers. I guess I should have known this could happen being new year's, but we've stayed other places and have never experienced this before. Why would I possibly want to pay for a room where I can't sleep? It's just awful. You would think with the thin walls here they could forewarn guests.

• Stayed: January 2014

We appreciate the positive comments about our resort; we are disappointed to read that your stay was negatively impacted by noise disturbances caused by those occupying neighboring rooms and extend our sincerest apologies that your stay was not as restful and seamless as it should have been. Want you to know that what you experienced is not the norm and we hope that your travels will bring you back to our resort again in the future. Please feel free to contact us at info@deerhurstresort.com so we can assist with your next reservation and ensure you leave with a more positive experience.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We have had a rough year to say the least. Upon visiting the Deerhurst for a family getaway we were devastated to see that they had not registered our children for any of the activities requested. To add insult to injury they were rendered 'unable' to squeeze them in because all activities were now full'. All they could say was 'sorry' or 'whoops'. The managers were not present and unreachable and didn't bother returning my messages. The food was over priced but not too bad. Unfortunately they just didn't seem to have it together anywhere. After calling to confirm our christmas dinner-we arrived to find that after waiting 15 minutes in a lineup just to get in (and it wasn't even busy) that we were no longer in the system. However, they tall lady working the computer was rude and unapologetic-she didn't even wish us a Merry Christmas-just waved us off as though she was above us and we were wasting her time. The waiter in the more casual restaurant couldn't even get it together to bring our children something to colour on - the same thing the other children were doing at other tables. The cleaning staff was very friendly-much better at service than the front desk and restaurants although seeing other people's hair in our bathtub put us off a bit. The beds were comfortable. But the service was appalling. No one seemed to know anything. Was informed that it is like this because they are under new ownership and joining forces with other big hotels. This is no excuse. Most of the time the staff were standing around gossiping with one another as though we did not even exist. The spa was no different. I felt like crying for my kids. We came here because of a good reputation, however, times are a changin'.

1  Thank Fred M

Dear Fred,

It is evident by reading your comments on TripAdvisor that your experience with us at Deerhurst left a poor impression and on behalf of the General Manager, I sincerely apologize for failing to meet your expectations let alone the standards of service we are known to deliver.

Please note, that we are also in receipt of your guest survey and in the process of reviewing completely the circumstances surrounding what you experienced. I would ask that you give us a day or so to complete this review so that we can provide you with a comprehensive and hopefully satisfactory response to your concerns.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our weekend at Deerhurst Resort, arriving there from
Toronto Friday afternoon December 20th and checking out Sunday. We stayed in the Main building and found it to be very convenient. Our room was well appointed and clean and the beds were very comfy with big white sheeted duvets.

We were able to take advantage of the outdoor skating, cross country skiing and snowshoeing right on the grounds. We used the gym which had excellent equipment and I had a good pedicure at the spa. It was on the pricey side, but they do a very good job and it was a treat.
They offer many activities on their property and can help you arrange other activities off the Deerhurst grounds as well. There are always staff at the activity desk with helpful information.
It is a good idea to plan activities and spa treatments ahead so you can reserve a place. We did not so were unable for example, to book dog sledding upon arrival Friday, not even for the Sunday. The same was true for massage...nothing available.

We found all of the staff to be very friendly and helpful.

There were alot of families there and it seemed like a fabulous place to bring kids.
We had very good food in the dining room for one dinner, lunch and a snack, but had the cold buffet for breakfasts which was only satisfactory. Maybe the hot buffet would have been worth it? There are some very good places to eat in the town of Huntsville a short drive away.

All in all it was a great place to sample the pleasant side of a Canadian winter.
We would definitely go again and I look forward to trying this resort in the summer.

1  Thank Susie101-11

Thank you for the detailed and glowing review. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us in Muskoka and were able to partake in the many onsite activities and amenities.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and I will share your comments with our team – Thank you.

Future guests: Please visit our website or contact us directly to learn more about our amenities and offerings. As Susie mentions in her review, we do recommend you make advance reservations.