“Calling all vegan snowmobilers”
Review of Deerhurst Resort

Deerhurst Resort
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Huntsville
Orillia, Canada
“Calling all vegan snowmobilers”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We just spent a wonderful weekend at Deerhurst Resort in Huntsville, Ontario. We were able to sled to the resort, and have our snowmobiles locked up securely for the night. Being vegan has had its' challenges when it comes to a vacation destination. We packed up our own food and stayed in a one bedroom condo which had everything we needed to enjoy the weekend - including a whirlpool tub to soak in after the long ride. We were pleasantly surprised to find a washer and dryer in our suite, which helped when you can only pack so much on a snowmobile! We decided to see if the restaurants on-site provided vegan options, and we're pleasantly surprised that there was more than one option. The food was great!
If you happen to be going through Bracebridge on the way to Deerhurst, I highly recommend the Muskoka Natural Food Market, they have a vegetarian deli with many vegan options. They are located right beside the trail where the plaza is.
All in all, we have every intention of repeating our weekend getaway to enjoy the food and amenities that Deerhurst offers!

Room Tip: A one bedroom condo generally offers a full kitchen, laundry, etc. I highly recommend it!
1 Thank Diane W
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Sincere appreciation for posting a review and the 5 star rating! We are glad you enjoyed your winter snowmobile getaway with us and already planning a return visit!

Thank you for the positive comments regarding your dining experience. I will ensure your feedback is provided to our culinary team, as they take great pride in the dishes they create for our guests.

We look forward to your return and recommend you book our Snowmobiles Special Package, which provides 20% off our regular rates!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
  • Korean first
Callander, Canada
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Not overly impressed with this place!

We had a room in the main building and it was very … average. Dated furnishings and décor, no fridge, paper thin walls, old bathroom, and the shower drain was clogged so in 3 minutes we were ankle deep in water with someone else’s hair floating around. Gross.

My biggest problem was the way the room rate is handled. When we checked in the clerk told us $140 for the night – snowmobile rate, fine – and swiped our credit card. What she failed to tell us, and we didn’t know until we got the receipt at check out the next morning, was that the $140 didn't include tax and it did not include a $25 resort fee. Sorry but if the final price you give me when I’m swiping my credit card is $140, I assume that is a total price of $140. The actual total, $190 for the night for a room equal to one downtown Huntsville for less than half the price. Breakfast was not included (though we knew this), and we paid $8 at the lobby bar for two drip coffees in the morning. Really?

My suggestion to the resort is to tell the customer what exactly they will be charged, including tax, upon check-in and issue a receipt at the time of payment. Yes, the Deerhurst is known for being expensive, but that doesn’t mean customers don’t care to know what they will be charged ahead of time. If we had known it would be $190 we would have gone elsewhere. Sorry.

The hotel as a whole is very nice, but unfortunately our personal experience was just not very special.

1 Thank Jenna M
Your comments are important to us. I sincerely apologize that you were not aware of the resort amenity fee. Our reservation & front desk agents are to communicate this fee to each guest and in addition it is clearly outlined on our website and in all guest confirmation letters.

The Resort fee has been in place at our resort for many years and is common within the resort industry in some form or another. The nightly resort fee includes year round benefits and several new seasonal services previously charged for. Including and not limited to High Speed Internet, Use of pools, towel service, fitness room, parking. In winter our guests now have unlimited use of our trail system, Cross Country Ski equipment (ski, pools and boots), Snowshoes, Ice –skates and more. For a comprehensive overview please visit our website.

Travellers are raving about these Huntsville hotels

Woodstock, Canada
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We loved our stay. I was a a little nervous about some of the reviews but we had excellent service. The staff were very helpful and polite. I think if you treat people well, they reciprocate.

The rooms are large. The beds are comfortable with big fluffy duvets. While the rooms and resort may be a little dated, it still has a ton of charm.

The decades show is fabulous. We found ourselves singing along to all the music. It was fun and well done.

My husband and I went snowmobiling. The trails were well maintained and the scenery is amazing. I think some people forget why they go the the Muskokas and get hung up on the little stuff.

We had a really nice time. The only suggestion I would make is to build a hot tub outside that is adults only. We wanted to have a hot tub after a day out on the trails and it was full of kids. The pool area is really well done for children, but not relaxing for adults.

I loved my week end at Deerhurst and recommend it highly.

Room Tip: In the winter, stay in the main building. That is where the dining, pools, spa, etc. are so you don...
1 Thank Kim J
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you for joining us and sharing your feedback with others on TripAdvisor. We welcome many guests in the winter to enjoy over 2,000 km of diverse, groomed snowmobiling trails in Muskoka.

NEW this year - Yamaha Riding Adventures offers our guests professional instruction and practice time before your guided snowmobile adventure. For those who have their own snowmobile, locked overnight sled parking, premium fuel, trail maps and permits are all available on site and make us a great one stop shop for many.

We are glad you enjoyed your accommodation and want you to know that since joining Skyline Hotels & Resorts, we have been re-investing in our property. This coming month many of our 1, 2, 3 bedroom condos will receive a full renovation including carpet, furnishings, fixtures and drapery, which will bring us to 320 newly or partially renovated rooms in the past 2 years. In addition to improving our guestroom product many amenities and facility improvements have been made around the resort and will continue into this year as well. We hope you will return soon to see and experience the changes and improvements first hand.
North Bay, Canada
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I stayed at the resort for the first time Jan.24-26. We arrived at 6:30pm on Friday and left after breakfast on Sunday. We had a nice dinner at the Lobby bar on Friday and enjoyed the buffet breakfast in the Eclipse restaurant on both Saturday and Sunday. Our server, Marion, was wonderful. She was so genuinely friendly. We found the Eclipse steak menu very expensive so we opted to eat dinner off the resort Saturday night.

We went dogsledding and enjoyed a couples massage. My only regret was that we didn't stay in the main building or closer to as we stayed in the Bayshore building which kept us from using the hot tub as planned. It was too much of a pain to go there and back in the cold temperature. We enjoyed having a warm drink by the lobby fire place after dogsledding and a glass of wine Saturday night.

We definitely want to visit again and may do so in the summer months to enjoy those types of activities. I do wish more restaurants were open during winter season. Thank you for a wonderful much needed mini vacay. I look forward to the next time.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank fnadon
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you for giving us a try! We are glad you were impressed with our hospitality and appreciate you sharing your experience with others. We are indeed fortunate to have the caliber of employees we have as you noted in your review. It will be my pleasure to pass along your comments to our team and ensure they get the recognition they deserve.

The Lakeside rooms are very popular as they were just renovated this past May and feature a stunning view of Peninsula Lake. As you note, the main building rooms are conveniently located in the Pavilion and give you easy access to the restaurants, pool and spa. As we do have a variety of different types of accommodation our reservations team is always here to assist our guests and provide recommendations based on preferences.

Thank you again for posting a review and sharing some pictures!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Deerhurst was great. We used many of the resorts facilities and they were all great. Snow and ice was removed from all walkways. We stayed in a 3 bedroom condo. It was spacious and each family had their own large bedroom and bathroom. However I found that the rooms were not clean. The carpets were old and gross. The couches and upholstered chairs were stained, old and grungy. I did not even want to sit on them. We wore shoes indoors the whole time. The beds and linens were very clean. The furniture and décor was old and dated. The bathrooms were early 90's. Time for renos Deerhurst. Time to modernize rooms and remove carpets. The changeroom at the pool also had carpet, and I thought it smelled musty and moldy. I would probably not stay at Deerhurst again unless I stayed in a cleaner, more modern room.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa M
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Glad you enjoyed your winter getaway! Since joining Skyline Hotels & Resorts, we have been re-investing in our property. This coming month many of our 1, 2, 3 bedroom condos will receive a full renovation including carpet, furnishings, fixtures and drapery, which will bring us to 320 newly or partially renovated rooms in the past 2 years. In addition to improving our guestroom product many amenities and facility improvements have been made around the resort and will continue into this year as well. We hope you will return soon to see and experience the changes and improvements first hand.
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

This was suppose to be a weekend away for my hubby and I to relax and unwind. We left the kids with grandparents to get some quiet time. Well, 9 hours into our "relaxing" weekend away and I'm laying in bed fuming, writing this review. We are staying in a 1 bedroom condo and it is disgusting and outdated! I could handle the old furniture decor, but all the dirt and grime...no! Oh! And after standing in the shower for 5 minutes, the water turned icy cold! I had to get out of the shower with soap on my body and conditioner in my hair, wait 30 minutes and then finish my shower! We couldn't order a movie in the living room because the connection wasn't working. The front desk said they'd try and fix it tomorrow. I could get over that if it weren't for the crappy shower experience and dirty accommodations. The area around the base of the toilet was caked in grime. The baseboard heater in the bathroom was gross! There was hair all over it. The wall paper was peeling, dead flies on the window ledge, the couch had lovely mystery stains all over it. The 1980's fridge had pieces falling off! When I say run away...I mean it! We have stayed at Blue Mountain in Collingwood every winter for the past 11 years and have never experienced such disappointing accommodations. Book there instead. Take a close look at the pics I'm posting! They don't lie!

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank NSnider
NSnider, thank you for taking the time to speak to us directly on the phone today following your recent stay at our resort. As mentioned, we have been re-investing in our property. This coming month, many of our 1, 2, 3 bedroom condos will receive a full renovation including carpet, furnishings, fixtures and drapery, which will bring us to 320 newly or partially renovated rooms in the past 2 years. In addition to improving our guestroom product many amenities and facility improvements have been made around the resort and will continue into this year as well. We look forward to your return so you can see and experience the changes and improvements first hand.
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at Deerhurst from Friday January 17 to Sunday January 19. Overall, we were very pleased with our experience!

Room:
-We stayed in the main building - which I would recommend for a short stay in the winter - as you are in the same building as the restaurant, lobby, pool, etc.
-The room was very large and clean.
-The bed was very comfortable.

Food:
-We ate at Eclipse for breakfast one morning (buffet) which was good. The variety was good (omelette station, scrambled eggs, eggs benedict, bacon, sausage, pancakes, yogurt, granola, fruit, pastries, etc.). The server even let us have a takeout coffee and container to grab a muffin, which we thought was really nice!
-We also ate at Eclipse for dinner on Saturday evening. I had the vegetarian risotto and my husband had the seafood risotto. Both were very good!
-The service on both occasions was very good!

Hotel Amenities:
-We took advantage of the free cross country ski and skate rentals - which was great!
-The pool / hot tub area was clean and the 'under the sea' theme was cute.

While we were in the area, we also went to Arrowhead Provincial Park (to go on the Skating Trail). I would highly recommend checking that out!

Overall - a great experience! :)

1 Thank winter_e123
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Sincere appreciation for posting a review and the 5 star rating! We are glad you enjoyed your winter vacation with us and were able to partake in the many onsite activities and amenities.

As you note, we are only 10 minutes east of Arrowhead Park which offers a magnificent Ice Trail. The trail is a 1.5 km skate path set amidst the snow-dusted trees that wind through the East River Campground is highly recommend as a ‘must do’ for everyone!

Thank you again - we do appreciate your opinions and feedback.