A 3 star "average" rating might seem a bit severe for this legendary resort located on sprawling grounds in beautiful Muskoka but here is why :
We were on the "Easter package" deal and had booked Lakeside rooms with breakfast/brunch included. The Bayshore building is indeed - as many have noted - a good (uphill) walk from the Main building. The rooms were nice and spacious with good beds and a lovely view. Now to the negatives : no fridge in the room, no signal on the TV, lengthy wait for extras to be brought to the room and for the TV to be repaired. Bathroom is very cramped. Hair and body gel is a combined product in a wall mounted dispenser ( same with hair conditioner ). Not in favour of a combined hair and body product on the best of days - certainly not in a resort of this standard. No bathrobes either.
Check-in was cumbersome with the person attending not really having been trained and not being able to answer our questions about the resort amenities. Down to the point of not being aware that the resort website has a different name for what is known as the Lobby bar at the resort. It always detracts from the experience when you are faced with discrepancies right from the get-go.
The resort fee of 25$/day is particularly irking at this time of the year : the winter activities are over and the summer ones are not yet instituted. An indoor pool and a gym is now commonly expected at hotels of comparable rates so the trails and the 3 Muskoka chairs on "The Point" is really all you get for this fee. Families with children might be less bothered by the charge as there are some separate fun and games rooms for kids. Also note : the boardwalk has some areas that look as if they need repair and some steps are "missing" at the end of it.
The best part of our experience was the extremely professional and friendly wait staff in both the Lobby bar ( Compass bar and grill ( website)) as well as the fine dining Eclipse restaurant. Both restaurants run off of the same basic menu ( a few extra "Mains" on the Eclipse menu) but the breakfast buffet is served in Eclipse. The breakfast buffet was very extravagant and the Sunday Brunch even more so with a Roast carving station, an Omelette station and Chocolate fountain to boot. The a la carte meals were good as well - but quite pricey.
Do visit the Sugar shack on the property if visiting in season - it is worth it. And do take a walk on the "Rotunda" walk out from Eclipse restaurant - to take in the sweeping view of the scenery. Also : nearby village of Dwight is worth a visit for the trading post.
Be aware that the resort charges a 100$/day/room security deposit that is released upon your departure but effectively stays on your card for upwards of 7 -10 business days. In case you look at your statement when back home and don't know what those 400$ are for ( no one told me upon check-in).
The Easter package deal made this getaway an acceptable value. There appear to be a couple of loyalty programs that might make it more attractive to re-visit but again : it was not possible to get clear information about these Skyline and Preferred membership rewards.The resort does have a "legendary" feel to it but amenities are substandard for the non discounted rates. For that reason I would not return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover Deerhurst Resort's idyllic lakeside setting in Muskoka cottage country. This 760 acre, year-round retreat is minutes from Algonquin Park and historical, culinary, sporting and cultural attractions like Huntsville's Group of Seven Outdoor Gallery and neighboring Hidden Valley Highlands Ski Area. Known for its two 18-hole golf courses, Deerhurst offers the most on-site activities of any Eastern Canada resort, from indoor rock climbing, Treetop Trekking, paintball, ATV tours and snowmobiling to water sports, spa and a live entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Deerhurst Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Deerhurst Hotel Huntsville
- Deerhurst Inn Ontario
- Deerhurst Ontario
- Deerhurst Resort Huntsville, Ontario, Canada