“Deerhurst Resort. Home away from home!”
Review of Deerhurst Resort

Deerhurst Resort
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I had a free night at this location and it was awesome. We had a basic room with 2 queen beds and it was an outside room so we had a balcony. Opened the balcony door and the sound of spring peepers greeted us all evening and lulled us to sleep. We didnt eat in the restaurants, but there are a couple there. The front staff was fantastic; checking in was a breeze. The only thing that I noticed was that the wifi connection was unstable and not very fast, but I wasnt there for the wifi, i was there with the family. Don't hesitate to check in here. Oh.... cleaning staff; I wish I had gotten her name. She was more then accommodating and was fun to chat with.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Phil C
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thank you for posting a review. As a senior contributor on Trip Advisor and a Preferred Member of Deerhrust, we appreciate your feedback and patronage at our resort.

We have upgraded our internet service in the last year so that all our guestrooms feature wireless internet and increased our bandwidth resort wide to meet our guests usages needs. We are sorry to read that you experienced a delayed connection and will investigate your concerns.

We are pleased to read of your positive experience and the personal touches our staff did to make your stay with us more enjoyable.

We look forward to your return!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,236)

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Cleanliness of pool. I loved swimming in the pool with my daughter. We were in several times during our stay and was put off by the scuzzy ring around the pool edge right at your eye line. This may be a small thing but to me It was big and impacted my enjoyment of the pool.

• Stayed: May 2014

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your Spring Vacation. Resort cleanliness is a priority, and we apologize that you had concerns with the pool area - the situation you describe is not to our standard and will be addressed. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We hope that your family enjoyed the new Underwater Sea Life Design Theme for our Indoor Pool and hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

300+ PhDs converged here for a conference. DH Resort touted to us as world renowned cottage country, "where the world meets," because of the G8!
Location: The G8 was here because it's easy to keep the public away, not because of its beauty or world class amenities. Agree the resort ground is not unpleasant, but if you think it is gorgeous or spectacular (per some reviewers), then you haven't traveled very much. For the amount of money you are paying, you could get a resort with better amenities, at a better location. Truthfully, it feels like a holiday inn express, but at $200/night.
Room: Rooms are scattered in tired, old buildings. Stayed in Bldg 1, room 313. It stank - musky, stale, and perhaps moldy. Please, deodorize it before you have another guest in here. Room itself is spacious, but bathroom is tiny. Sofa and sheets give you the icky feeling.
Food: We ate at Eclipse the first night, food was good (not spectacular), but overpriced. Again, you are trapped in a resort. Catered meals throughout the conference are atrocious. E.g., People complained the chicken was too salty or bland at the same table. Most meats are over salted perhaps to mask the poor cuts. Been to larger conferences which catered better meals for 600-800 people. Kitchen just doesn't have the horsepower.
Gym: Barebones and feels like a high school gym (old, dirty, and out of service equipment). On all three days I was there, there were staff working out. As a paying hotel guest, I felt like I was intruding staff hangout space. Of course the staff talked about their work in there, loudly.
Staff/service: By and large, the staff were friendly and courteous. But good service is more than just being friendly. You need you to make things better when they are not ok. E.g., a colleague stayed in bldg 24 where wifi was down for the entire conference (less than acceptable for a conf). The front desk apologized. If you are sincere and care, do the right thing and reverse the resort fee (mandatory). Also requested for a fridge (I like skim milk for my coffee in the AM), but no fridge available from engineering.
Checkout: I was charged one night's advance deposit at booking (for a 3 night stay), and day prior to check in, I was charged the full 3 nights on my CC. Mentioned this to front desk at check in, and they said to use up the extra night charge as room credit. Their excuse: New or old (I can't remember) computer system. No, I want a refund for the extra night you charged me. Apparently, this is a frequent overheard complaint at the front desk.
Overall assessment: Only act in town, with dated facilities pretending to be a world class resort.

Room Tip: Avoid Bldg 1, because of the odor, and make sure wifi is working if that is important to you.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank edster1971

It is evident by reading your comments on TripAdvisor that your experience with us at Deerhurst left a poor impression and on behalf of the General Manager I sincerely apologize for failing to meet your expectations let alone the standards of service we are known to deliver.

We would like the opportunity to speak to you directly to address some of your concerns. Please contact us at info@deerhurstresort.com.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I am here for an academic conference, and the organizers may have ordered the food. But there's no fruit, not many vegetables, tons of fatty, sugary desserts and snacks, no protein sources for vegetarians (that's not so hard,is it?). My lunch was a cold plate of vaguely Asian stir fry with <1 oz of tofu, no seasoning or sauce, and a lump of room temperature jasmine rice. My dinner was veggies on pasta with a tomato sauce that tasted bottled.

To call in, you must sit on hold for 10 minutes.

It's not cheap. And we're trapped here for three days with food not even the carnivores will eat. (Chicken and rice lunch.)l

The buildings are crowded together. It's insanely dense.

It's not what I expected of Deerhurst. I am sorry. The lake is terrific. The rest is a waste.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank akinto
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank you for posting a review. Our Conference Services Team has been working very closely with the conference organizers to ensure there is a wide range of menu’s offered throughout the conference to provide variety and meet the many special dietary restrictions. We’ve had great comments from the organizers themselves and guests and sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I understand our executive office has direct messaged you via TripAdvisor in hopes to personally connect with you.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

The Deerhurst grounds are lovely. No one would ever argue that. The service? Great. The room? Terrible. I paid a premium for a one bedroom condo for a conference being held here. Some condos at the resort are updated and modern. The one I stayed at was far below average. It reminds me of my grandparents' trailer from the 1970's. The king bed is literally a decade old, but has a newer mattress pad on top (but is still horribly uncomfortable and just feels dirty). The bathroom is so outdated and worn that it looks unclean. My unit had a whirlpool tub...I attempted to use it, but once I ran it it sounded like airplane jets, which is the absolute of opposite of relaxing. The shower head is even worse. Every time I turned the shower on it screeched the most horrendous, high-pitch squeal l've ever heard. So much so that I was constantly rushing to get out because my ears couldn't take it anymore. The televisions in the unit are from 1993 and are blurry. In 2003 this might have been acceptable, but in 2014, it's ridiculous. Upgrade all of the units before you continue to call yourself a "resort". I would never come back here.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Amanda W

Your comment on accommodation is important to us and want you to know that since joining Skyline Hotels & Resorts, we have been re-investing in our property. This past month many of our 1, 2, 3 bedroom condos received a full renovation including carpet, furnishings, fixtures and drapery, which bring us to 320 newly or partially renovated rooms in the past 2 years.
In addition to improving our guestroom product many amenities and facility improvements have been made around the resort and will continue into this year as well.

We are concerned about the issues you experienced in your accommodation and would appreciate if you could contact us at info@deerhurstresort.com, to advise which room you stayed in so our Engineering team can address your concerns.

We would also like to take the opportunity to invite you back in the near future to experience one of our newly renovated rooms and ensure you leave with a more positive impression of our resort.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

As well as being in a gorgeous location in Mid-Northern Ontario, this facility offers a wide range of choices for rooms, condos, efficiencys and suites. The staff couldn't be more helpful from chasing down some late night food for a diabetic friend to adding air to a soft tire for the drive home. The food both in the dining room for brunch, which was less than $20.00, and at our catered banquet on Saturday night was delicious and the servers were attentive. We were only there for the weekend, but had a really enjoyable experience. The only negative I found was no fridge in the room and didn't think to ask for one...but lots of ice available to keep the cooler stocked.

Room Tip: we were in Bayside ?? building #1 and had a lakeside room complete with a little deck and patio set...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank you the 5 star review! We are glad you were impressed with our hospitality and appreciate you sharing your experience with others.

Pleased to read that overall you were satisfied with your Lakeside Room located in the Bayshore Building. Deerhurst does have a variety of different types of accommodation with a variety of different room features. Should you prefer a room with a fridge, I would recommend reserving a Summit Lodge One Bedroom Suite or one of our Condos for a future visit. Our reservations team is always here to assist our guests and provide recommendations based on preferences.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Staff were friendly and our meal was outstanding. Room very comfortable and well appointed with Muskoka artwork. The walking trails were unfortunately wet, but this can be expected this time of year. Enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Sincere appreciation for posting a 5 star review! We are glad you enjoyed your getaway.
For the month of April we do recommend waterproof boots as the trails are often wet. Now that we are experiencing warmer weather and sunshine, the trails, grounds and gardens are drying out and flowers/trees are starting to bloom. We are all ready for summer after a long winter season and hope that you will come back soon to enjoy the magnificent hiking trials, look out points, a crystal clear lake and river to enjoy and paddle along, bird-watching and more!