Deerhurst Resort
Best Western Plus Muskoka Inn(Huntsville)(Great Value!)
US$122
Knights Inn - Huntsville(Huntsville)(Great Value!)
US$61
US$76
US$74
King William Inn(Huntsville)(Great Value!)
US$96
US$86
Motel 6 Huntsville(Huntsville)(Great Value!)
US$83
Colonial Bay Cottage Resort(Huntsville)(Great Value!)
US$113
Hidden Valley Resort(Huntsville)(Great Value!)
US$124
US$119
Arrowhead Inn(Huntsville)(Great Value!)
US$61
US$115
US$111
HIExpress.com
Comfort Inn Huntsville(Huntsville)(Great Value!)
US$81
Priceline
3,444 results
All reviewsmain buildingeclipse restaurantsummit lodgesteamersbedroom condosplash zonemaple restaurantrock climbinggolf coursemarch breakhorseback ridingdog sleddinglobby barindoor pooloutdoor activitiescross country skiingwinter activities
Reviewed 8 July 2014

At the beginning of July, we had a 2 night stay in a king room in the main building. Room was a good size and it was clean with a balcony which overlooked the parking area. That was ok. It also faced west so the sun was pretty warm when setting but we did have sun. We have stayed here before, in fact in 2012 in the same accommodation. We were not able to see the show because of the days we were staying but we have seen it in the past and have enjoyed it very much. They do a good job in that entertainment.

What we did find on this stay was a few cut backs. Toiletries were not in the bathroom, no fridge or microwave. We had to have the hairdryer replaced. There was 1 bar of soap. Phone beside the bed did not work. No extra pillows. Room was 18C when we entered. We walked down to the lake where the original main building was. The building is still there with the outdoor pool but the building is running down and it is obvious. We don't think it is being used now. It was a great building where the stage show used to take place and a great dining room with views of the lake. The windows are stained and the building showing signs of deterioration. The pool is good with a bar beside it. The original indoor pool building beside this area has been leveled and we understand that condos are being built.

It is a great property to walk and to golf. We did not golf on this occasion. Three is a good pub on the sub ground level on the main building with good food and a great patio to sit and enjoy either food or drink. All in all, it is a very reliable property to visit and enjoy.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cmikey
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for posting a review. We value your continued patronage over the years and sorry you had concerns regarding items within your room. Deerhurst does have a variety of different types of accommodation with a variety of different room features. Should guests prefer a room with a fridge and/or cooking facilities, I would recommend reserving a Summit Lodge One Bedroom Suite or one of our Condos on a future visit.

As you note, Skyline Resort Communities is moving forward with building 162 waterfront condominium residences at Deerhurst Resort., where the lodge currently stands. In addition, the waterfront will be enhanced by landscaping and a new large outdoor pool for our guest to enjoy. To learn more about this once in a lifetime ownership opportunity, please contact us directly.

Thank you again for posting a review. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I went to Deerhurst for a night on our way up to Huntsville to pick up our older daughter from camp. We arrived around 3pm on Friday and were able to check in quickly. The person at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. They did however not mention the oyster special that was on at Steamers on Friday night, we missed the billboard on our way in. We chose to dine at Maple out on the patio. Nina was our server and she was very helpful in helping us make our dinner choices when asked for her recommendation. My husband is still talking about the Trout Tacos.... yes Trout Tacos. I even stole a bite they looked so good and fresh and tasty!!
We also managed to get a round of golf in on the Lakeside course in the morning before we had to leave. It was such a beautiful course and even though it is a shorter course the greens were fast and it provided enough of a challenge that my husband wants to play it again soon.
For breakfast we ordered the Rib Sticker (oatmeal) off the menu. It was fine but would be better if served with Maple Syrup instead of brown sugar...it needed a lot of sugar.
We stayed in the main Inn and our room was clean and big with a king bed and a large screened TV. The only thing was the only soap was in the dispenser in the shower. This is a bit 1 star .... if we brought our kids my 5 year old would not be able to reach the soap dispenser in the shower to wash her hands after using the toilet and my older child likely wouldn't bother!! A bar of soap at the sink would be appreciated.
Over all we enjoyed our night and will be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your opinion of our resort with other Trip Advisor Readers. All of your comments are important and will be shared with the General Manager and appropriate department heads. We truly appreciate knowing about our guest's experiences so we can celebrate our successes, recognize our colleagues and address our challenges to better serve you in the future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed in a Lakeview room. We had a beautiful view. The room was huge and very nice but for the price was lacking a fridge and even laundry bags. We had a big group discount and I found that was even way overpriced. The rooms have been redone however the outside of the building and the hallways have not been. My kids thoroughly enjoyed the water park and the use of boats however the beach was tiny for a resort that size. The building beside the Lakeview pool looked abandoned. The food that was offered to our group at a "canteen" in the conference was way overpriced.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank leado

Thank you for posting a review and the many compliments. Our renovated Lakeside rooms are very popular, especially in the summer, due to the size, view and proximity to the beach and waterfront activities. Should guests prefer a room with a fridge, I would recommend reserving a Summit Lodge One Bedroom Suite or one of our Condos on a future visit. Also want you to know that we do our best to set our prices to remain competitive and appreciate your feedback as we continue to evaluate this.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I spent 3 nights at Deerhurst last week. We stayed at a rented condo (via Air B&B) in building 29. So this review isn't regarding the hotel, but the property and restaurants and staff.

There were 4 of us (family - ages 66, 38, 37, and 31) and we greately enjoyed our stay.

The water park area is fantastic! There is a massive amount of water slides and trampolines out by the beach in the water. My brother, girlfriend and I had a ton of fun playing out in the water. There stand-up paddle boards, kayaks, canoes to use which are free for Deerhurst guests. We took advantage of this several times. Very easy to sign out one of these and the staff were friendly and helpful. The beach area is nice and very swimmable, lots of loungers. If you prefer a quieter area the grassy hill area also has dozens of loungers to sit on. There are nice areas with shade too. At one point I was in the water and stupidly lost a very expensive pair of prescription sunglasses out by one of the water-slides in the water. Two of the lifeguards (Jim and Tyler) worked very hard and managed to somehow dive and track down the sunglasses in the water! Huge huge relief. Great staff all around the water.

We ate twice in the resort at Steamers Steakhouse and Eclipse, both times the food and the service were fantastic. Huge compliments to Jen who works at Eclipse - great server.

We used the Oasis outdoor pool and the tennis courts and the golf driving range and really enjoyed all of them.

I'm a bit bewildered at the very mixed reviews I've read of Deerhurst here, but I was very satistifed with our time there and definitely plan on returning again. If you live having fun out on the water, or tennis, or good food, or golf - Deerhurst is a great one-stop spot to visit. We contemplated so many other "cottage" options for this short family vacation from multi-cottage properties to renting our own cottage or other resorts and in the end we got everything we wanted with Deerhurst.

I cannot really judge the resort on the hotel portion or the spa, we stayed in one of the condos which was privately owned, but otherwise I was very impressed with the staff, amenities and food.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Teamdeerhurst, Guest Relations Manager at Deerhurst Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for the detailed and glowing review. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us in Muskoka and were able to partake in the many onsite activities and amenities Your feedback is very much appreciated and I will share your comments with our team – Thank you.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I wanted to share the recent experience I had staying at Deerhurst this past weekend. My husband and I were in town for a wedding at a nearby cottage, and chose Deerhurst from the list of possible places to stay. It was both of our first times coming there, and though it was quite a bit more expensive than any of the other choices, we thought the experience would be worth it. Unfortunately it did not pan out that way, and we left quite unsatsified and not likely to ever return.

To begin our check in time was 4pm on a Saturday, which is about an hour later than most hotels/resorts offer. I had called in advance to see if we get a room a bit sooner to make more use of the sun and our day, but that was told that was not possible. Upon arriving at 4, we were given a room on the 3rd floor. When we got to our room it was quite small, and had one window directly looking onto an ashpalt roof. It was most probably the worst room you have in the entire resort, and certainly not what you are expecting when coming to beautiful Muskoka, or when you are paying $400/night. I called downstairs to have our room changed, and was told somebody would look into and call me back. 15 minutes later after not hearing from anyone, I went back to the front desk and had to line up again for another 10 or so minutes to speak to someone. Our room was moved to the 4th floor, and this time it at least had a balcony, and while overlooking a parking lot wasn't all that glamourous either, it was much better than a roof. By the time this was all sorted we lost our first hour of getting there.

Eager to get out and enjoy the sun, we rushed down to the main lobby, asking the staff which way the walk was to your beach. The first girl we asked directed us completely the wrong way. To make a long story short, we ended up asking 3 different staff members, none of which were really sure which way to walk, and only seemed to know how to drive there. We ended up walking outside well out of our way on to private property, and up and down big hills on a 31degree hot day. Eventually we came to find the beach, in the complete opposite direction of where we were told to go. It would be helpful if the staff knew their own property, or could advise that the walk back is all uphill and not very close. This whole process took another hour.

By 6pm we reached the beach, and it was full of children and people, and not very much room for us to sit. We thought we would try the paddle boards, only to be told that we needed wrist bands that are way up the hill where we just came from. Again no one at the front desk, or towel house made mention of that useful piece of information at any point. After all the walking we had already done, we weren't about to go back again so we left and decided to give the pool a try. The pool was incredibly small and disappointing, and again full of small children. There was no room to enjoy that, so we left to go back inside.

We stopped in for a bite at the restaurant, and that did not make matters better. The food was below average, and the one cocktail I had was garnished with an old, dehydrated cucumber that looked like it was sitting out for days.

At this point with little left to do, we decided to go buy some drinking water for our room and some playing cards. The one and only general store had already closed, which makes me wonder, where do you expect guests to get water to drink when staying at your resort? There are no bottles provided in the room, and not even a fridge for that matter, which I found most suprising. Even 3 star hotels have a fridge these days, and leave a bottle or two complimentary ones. We were told the activity desk may have cards, but they didn't. The evening was quite uneventful. and unfortunately we resorted to the television, which is the last thing you hope to do away in Muskoka. The TV quality/image was extremely poor and difficult to watch. At this point, I just wanted some water and to go to bed, only to find out they don't do any kind of room service either. The very last thing I went to do was write in the wedding card I had, but again the room didn't have a pen by the telephone, like almost all hotels do, and that was that.

The buffet breakfast the next day was very disappointing. Upon sitting down, the wait for the server was so long, I had to get up and find my own coffee and milk to pour (twice). There was no brown sugar, or raw sugar which is always an option at "higher " end places to stay these days. There was only white refined sugar. The breakfast sausage tasted like it came from a frozen dinner, and the potatoes were completley tasteless and bland. $31 brunch per person for the quality of that food, was a ridiculous rip off.

A couple of hours later, my husband wanted to watch some of the world cup soccer games, but again because of the quality of our room TV, we decided it was better to come down to the bar to watch it and have a drink. We came down and waited 15 minutes in a completely empty bar with no service or person in sight so we left.

I have never written a complaint before to anywhere I have stayed, but after recieving our bill for $900 for 1.5 days there, and the awful taste it left in our mouths, I felt I really should. I feel the resort may have been somewhat different 20 years ago, but today it needs considerable upgrades,much better service, more knowledgeable staff, or a dramatic decrease in the costs associated. It is entirely overpriced and nothing special.

Oh and lastly, the pillows are awful. Way to big. We both woke up with very sore necks.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank 854Stef

We are disappointed to read that your experience did not meet your expectations and apologize for your dissatisfaction. All of your comments are very important to us and we will recount your experience to our teams to exemplify a missed opportunity to meet the expectations of a valued guest.

We would like the opportunity to speak to you directly to apologize to you in person and address some of your concerns. Please contact us at info@deerhurstresort.com.