“A fun first time, but a little intimidating”

North Ridge Ranch - Dog Sledding
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to North Ridge Ranch. We are very happy you stopped by and hope that we can share the magic and adventure of dog sledding with you in Muskoka. Huntsville, Ontario is where we call home and have had our kennel for over 15 years. Owner and Operator Brad Fetterley along with Leah Blenkinsop and over 70 amazing Alaskan Huskies make up a dynamic team that are excited to take you on an unforgettable dog sled tour through the wilds of Muskoka
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My partner and I went on a 1-hour dog sledding session yesterday, and it was a lot of fun. The drive to the ranch had some small hills, which our poor pathetic rental car had a tough time on, so if it's snowy, make sure you have your snow tires! It was beautiful sledding through the woods, and the dogs were adorable. Definitely dress warmly - feet and hands especially. Those little warming packets are definitely worth bringing.

The one negative part about this entire experience was that I constantly felt like I was about to get in trouble, or that I was doing something wrong. Early on in the ride, maybe 10 minutes in, two of our dogs started fighting, to the point where I was worried my sled would run into them. So I stopped (as we had been told to do if anything went wrong). One of the dogs was actually bleeding. Our host (who I assume was Brad? He never introduced himself) trudged up the hill, and immediately yelled at me, saying "Why did you stop?" I was taken aback. "Never stop - if you keep going, they'll sort themselves out. Never stop!" He then roughly pushed the dogs back into formation - I was a little shocked at how mad he seemed.

This type of thing happened a few times. At one point, I was apparently not braking hard enough, and I got yelled at again: "When I ask you to brake, you put both feet on the brake. You do NOT just step one foot on the brake." Another time, we were turning the sleds around, and I apparently didn't step far back enough because he actually physically pushed me out of the way, yelling "get BACK. Hurry up." The sled hadn't actually started moving yet, so it wasn't like he was pushing me out of danger. I was simply not moving fast enough for him. I found myself getting anxious every time he approached, afraid we would be in for another yelling session for not doing something perfectly.

Being a first time dog sledder, and after reading all the amazing positive reviews about how friendly the host was, I was very disappointed. We did have an unfortunate hiccough at the beginning of the ride which may have set him off in a bad mood. I can also understand that in this business, you might get a lot of stupid people doing unsafe things. But our mistakes were all honest first-timer mistakes that didn't compromise anyone's safety - his behaviour towards us was unwarranted.

I hope other people have a positive experience with this group. For us, we will not be returning.

8  Thank Urbangecko
"safety info"
"amazing animals"
"giving instructions"

Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

My husband (Jason) and myself had a great time dog sledding. Brad is a great knowledgable person. He gave us very detailed instructions on everything. Brad even lent me a full piece snow suit to wear. The dogs are very friendly and beautiful.
We would recommend this experience to everyone
Cheers

2  Thank Ericachatty
Reviewed 28 December 2013

It was amazing journey into winter wonderland that started with rescuing our car from a snowbank, continued as a sledding into frozen forest (it was below -20 degree C) culminated in drinking steaming hot chocolate and back to safety of 58 barking madly and waggling their tails friendly dogs. Thank you Brad for everything!

2  Thank Torontonian_26
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My boyfriend and I went with brad and his dogs on a half day tour in March of 2013 as a Christmas gift. It was a beautiful crisp winter day. Brad was an amazing host, supper informative but very friendly. The dogs were very friendly and listened well to our instructions. A really great experience to get a feel for dog sledding and a super adrenaline rush. Would recommenced Brad and North Ridge Ranch to anyone and everyone.

1  Thank jenn m