“Disappointing”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main St. E
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Went there for my parents 54th anniversary. There were 10 of us. We had reservations... But had to wait outside for a table. Although the staff was very friendly, there were some problems. They forgot to get me a menu. They forgot water for 2 people. 2 people didn't even get cutlery, and when asked, it took a reminder to get it. Then the food came. Out of 7 steaks ordered, 4 had to go back. 2 orders were completely wrong. I had ordered the Filet Mignon, it was supposed to be a 6 ounce but it was the exact size of the kids 3 ounce steak. I love my Filet and have had lots of it... And what they served me was not filet! But they really really tried to convince me it was. For the price they were charging, and the claims they made in their menus, I was very disappointed. They ended up taking 50% off 2 off the meals, but I would say they were probably at least that much overpriced anyway. I can't say they ruined the night, but for the price I was expecting much much more.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

When we go to a 'steakhouse', we don't expect a culinary delight and exceptional service.
Boy, were we surprised!
The service was well-paced, and very helpful.
We shared the generously sized Baby Spinach Salad - a delight of mixed flavours and textures: sweet, sour, smooth, and crunchy. My wife had the 10 New York Striploin, rare, while I ordered the 1/2 Rack of Lamb, medium-rare. Both were served just after we had finished the salad. Both dishes were prepared as requested. The baked potato was dressed with green onions and soar cream, the mashed potatoes subtly garlic-flavoured. Carrots, broccoli, and beans were lightly steamed; and the zucchini and cob of corn grilled just right.
We weren't able to stay for the folk-rock group that was setting up, but their sound checks promised a great evening. Add the river view and a local draught, and it was a night to remember!

Reviewed 17 August 2013

A little late coming, but I must review this restaurant. Had lived in Muskoka for over 3 years and this was one of the places I had not tried, until our very last night before being posted out with the military. Had been given a gift certificate to use as a special last dinner. It was certainly memorable and the perfect farewell dinner to say goodbye to Muskoka.

First off, the ambiance is fantastic. Very elegant and sophisticated inside, and lovely and relaxing outside with it's own little patio area right by the water's edge. Comfortable seating and well spaced out tables allowed us to still feel it was private enough. We were lucky to enjoy a beautiful sunset with that magic of Muskoka setting the perfect mood. Later on in the evening we were treated to live music from Sean Cotton, who has a fantastic soulful voice and played excellent selections with his own style. We even stayed for a second glass of wine to enjoy the last of the sun and the great music.

Next, the service. Coming from over ten years of service, and seeing some of Canada's finest, our service this evening was top notch. Can't remember the name of the young man who served us, but he was bang on. Not intrusive, knew his stuff, explained specials, made good recommendations, and had perfect timing with everything. Poured elegantly, put the special care into every step of service that makes true 'service' a fine art. Bravo! Was surprised at the high level of service given the standard in the area, if you want to be taken care of and have a special evening or celebration, the Steakhouse is the place to go. You will feel pampared.

The food!!!!! Absolutely amazing. Each flavor was perfectly matched and blended with others to compliment and excite the palate. Fresh, high quality ingredients. Good portion sizes. Well presented. We enjoyed two appetizers, a flatbread and the lobster/crab cakes. Can't remember the details but I do remember savoring every bite. Truly well crafted food, presented beautifully. We both had the pasta special, and I am normally not a pasta person but it was so good. A good ratio of noodle to meat to veg to sauce. Fresh and hot, with garlic bread on the side. As if this wasn't enough, it was a special occasion so we treated ourselves to dessert, a cheesecake and a pecan pie. Sinfully good. Enjoyed wine and beer with the meals (Muskoka brewery draught of course) and another glass of wine to bring it all home after dessert, we just wanted the evening and meal to never end. What a great way to say goodbye to such a beautiful place. We will definitely return if we are in the area again, it's worth finding something to celebrate.

The prices? Not bad. Certainly fair. And for this level of food and service in Muskoka (which can be a real drag sometimes...) it was worth every penny. Made sure to tip our server very well, special care like we received is truly applaudable.

Don't listen to the bad reviews! I am a critical customer coming from the hospitality industry myself, and I was blown away. Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

no reservation and no problem with getting a table sitting enjoying the evening sun. The service was prompt and the food excellent. Not a scrap left! Even a good beer! The only thing I didn't like was something Blackburns can't be accountable for was a rather vocal diner two tables away. She was definately not having a discrete conversation - then again no-one else could because we couldn't hear ourselves much less our dining companions. oh well, she was having a good time.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

Went to Blackburn's with 4 other work colleagues. The service was very slow . I was a Monday night so the place was pretty empty. It took 15 minutes to bring us our drinks. The food took a too long as well. When it arrived our steaks were over cooked. Not impressed with the service or food esp at their prices. The one thing it has going for it is that it's on waterfront . I never will never go back.