“We would go there again”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Cranberry Resort

Cranberry Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Collingwood
Brighton, Ontario
“We would go there again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

My girlfriend and I just came back from Cranberry Resort, we signed up for their promotions at the Home Show in Toronto, Golf and Dinner would be included,ha!
The Golf resort was fairly new ,their was no map, nothing was marked for yardage, the greens were sloped and not in the best condition, however, people who worked at the course were great!
The resort is old and worn, toilets had a hard time flushing, linens were clean, 1 dining room, 1 small bar, pool was OK, hot tub was filthy!!!!! I saw a lady with rashes in the pool and then in the hot tub, so I went back to the room for a hot shower.
After complaining at the front desk about the promotion, we ended up with a $80 chit for the dining room.
The staff under the circumstances, was pretty decent, apparently we were among a large number of vacationers who had similar experiences.
Too bad because Collingwood and Blue Mountain is one of the most beautiful areas in Ontario. I would not stay there ever.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Travelwoman15

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

Everything was perfect... breakfast was amazing, rooms were great, only reception front desk was slow. Had to wait 30 mins during check-in and 30 mins during check out. Also on the second day card stopped working so again another 25 mins at the front desk

Rooms were clean and up to the mark. Breakfast was just amazing!

Room Tip: Check the weather
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank fourkey2001
Kingston, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

My wife and I signed up for 2 nights 3 days at this resort. We requested an up-grade to our room and got sent across the street to another resort that they own. The room was in the basement with small windows and the view from our room was the back-end of 4 large air conditioners. Then we noticed that the room was not clean and still had sticky stuff on the table and kitchen counters. The dishes were still in the dishwasher and the carpet wasn't vacummed. When we callled they asked if we wanted to move to the Holiday Inn down the street!!! Not the answer we were looking for.

We tried playing the professional golf course they own and it was the worst un-kept and constructioned ladened course we have ever played.

Room Tip: Stay at the Holiday Inn Express when they suggest!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Kicker23

Travellers are raving about these Collingwood hotels

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

I'd like to start by saying that I actually stayed at this property twice, once in May 2006 and once in May 2010 (the date selection didn't allow me to go that far back). In May 2006 we stayed at "club cranberry" and we loved it. It was situated close to the rec centre, tennis courts, pool, etc. The 2 bedroom suite was spacious and comfortable.

Our second trip in May 2010 was not as great. We stayed at "law cranberry" which are the houses on the same property but located further down and away from the major amenities of the Cranberry property. We had to drive into the rec centre it was not within walking distance. The 2 bedroom suite itself was nice but I wasn't happy with the location. The BBQ pit was a bit of a walk from our villa which made BBQing more difficult. There were also some pet friendly villas around our area so we had to deal with loose dogs running around and into our villa area.

All in all I would recommend staying at "club cranberry" but I would not stay at "law cranberry" again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
toronto, ont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

Stayed at Club Cranberry Unit 403, June 4-7, 2011 with wife & daughter at my sister's and brother-in-laws 1 wk time share at their 2 bedroom, 2 baths with kitchen unit ( I think it's got to be at least 700 sq ft. Club Cranberry is located behind the Cranberry Resort, which we stayed in Dec 2010, in a two bed, standard room, as part of a time share deal ($120 with 2 movie passes, $50 dining credit, 2 nights stay, with sales presentation commitment to purchase in their new phase next to Georgian Bay, less than 1 km away from the current location). Even though both units were older (peeling paint in spots, etc), the stays were very pleasant, as were the staff. The best part is the indoor pool is fairly large, water is nice (warm), as is the large hottub (imagine the layout: a rectangle, with the pool occupying 3/4 of the rectangle and 1/4 of the rectangle is the hottub). Free wireless internet is a great feature too.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Mississauga, canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

We stayed at the Cranberry resort in may 2011. The room was very nice and it has a bar in the lobby which is also nice but only open in the evenings. I found the resort a bit scattered and would not want to go with small kids as the outdoor pool is not close and you would be better staying somewhere where every thing is closer to the rooms.
The breakfast was almost $15 and i regretted having it at the resort as i could have got
something nicer and cheaper close by. We went to blue mountain village for dinner in
the evening to the Firehouse and had a very nice dinner but the taxi was $20 each way to the village so i am thinking we should stay somewhere nearer the village or the beach next time. The cranberry is good for older people who want to golf but i think there are better places to take kids.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank sarcla
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

My wife and I purchased a promotional offer which gave us 2 nights at Cranberry Resort, and the condition was that we had to attend a time share opportunity seminar for 90 minutes. Let's start with the hotel/resort first. The hotel lobby is beautiful and we were given our keys and sent to our rooms. No offer of anyone to show us to our rooms was made, but that's okay. The keys they gave us didn;t work. When I went back to the desk, one of the employees made a comment that I must have had the keys in the same pocket as my cell phone and that is why they didn't work. The other employee said that these cards are quite sensitive. When I explained that I kept the key cards in my other pocket , she said" still that would do it". Who in this world doesn't carry a cell phone and if their keys are so sensitive that I have to leave my cell phone at home, well they need a new system, not me as the customer. I found that her explanation was rediculous, plus as a customer what they should have said was, "sorry sir, we'll get that fixed for you right away". That's it. Anyway, the keys were reprogrammed and worked fine for the rest of my stay and just to see for myself I kept them in the same pocket as my cell phone for the duration of my stay and there was no issue. The room was okay. If you've stayed at a regular HoJo, Holiday Inn or a Hotel which is older but clean, that is what you'll get at Cranberry. At least room #300 anyway. The crown molding was broken which is not a big deal necessarily, but because it is broken, you can see that the crown molding s made of styrofoam, not wood, which explains some of the quality short comings of the resort. The bed was okay, but two things you need to know. First, there is a jet aircraft in your room that takes off every 5 minutes and this jet is cleverly disguised as an airconditioner. The noise that this thing makes became humourous after awhile. It worked perfectly, it is just a very noisy unit, no doubt another shortcut in the quality of the hotel I guess. The fan in the bathroom is also so loud that you dare not turn it on if anyone else is sleeping. Breakfast the following morning was in the "courtyard". There was five choices. Eggs (cold), Bacon (cold), home fries (slightly warm), french toast was empty and Sausages were empty. There were lso some thawed danishes and toast if you want to count those. That breakfast will cost you about $30.00 for two people and if you have a voucher (given for attending the time share seminar) it will reduce the price by $10. That means that we paid $22 for ice cold food. You could see the people at every table rejoice when they finally brought out some warm frnech toast (30 minutes into breakfast). It was like watching puppies at a pet store hoping to get adopted and waiting for the next customer. That was myself, my wife and many of the other guests, hoping for warm food to come out of that majic kitchen door. So paying $22 for cold food was not impressive. The indoor pool has a adult only hour which is great. 9:30pm to 10:30pm. The pool is in decent shape but is clearly showing its age as some of the tlles are falling off. The bed in the room was okay, certainly not fancy and neither of us slept very well as it just never seemed comfortable, but that could always be just us. There are tennis courts, a golf course and a few other amenties, but this is a large property so be prepared to walk a little bit, but it will be a very nice walk. Okay let's get down to the worst part of the trip. The time share opportunity. I wasn't attending the meeting just because I had to. I was there to possibly buy into it because my brother in law has a time share from another resort and he uses it every year. They use every used car sales technique known. They even lock the only door out of the presentation room, which is a questionable issue, not only from a perception point of view, but also from a health and safety fire hazard point of view. That is the only door in and out of that room and they are locking it with you and twenty other guests in it. I didn;t like that right off the start. Second, the start of the presentation is okay, but their video shows one woman who says that she enjoyes being forced to take vacation every year. That point also stuck in my mind as it became a theme throughout the presentation. Here is the real information that you need to know. You will be offered the chance to buy 50 x 1 week vacations (one per year) and the cost is only $823 per year in fees if you plan to always go to Cranberry. I should be fair and mention that the resort section where "owners" stay is much nicer than the hotel, but still not five star in my opinion. Nice rooms/apartments, but the amenities are not up to par yet. they apparently are building some, but I wouldn't guarantee that they will be built. Anyway, that $823 buys you a week at varying resorts all around the world and they do have plaenty of resorts to choose from which are all 5 star (their words not mine), but being a veteran of travel through the Caribbean, I couldn't find one recognizable resort and they sure didn't look 5 star in the pictures. No RIU, Iberostar, Superclubs, Sandals, Beaches, Bahia Principe' or Palace resorts can be found. In fact the only one I found that I recognized was a 4 star resort. Anyway, the costs are what is hidden from you until the very end. They have a very used car style of selling which is to say, they show you the $823 fee cost and pitch it that was, then near the end they show you the $30,000 investment that goes along with it. Oh and by the way, the fees go up by 2% plus cpi every year, which would tpically be around 5%. That including HST is around $50 per year. If you want to "trade" your time share to travel around the world, it is only another $170 Europe/Caribbean or $150 for the U.S. but those too are subject to go up every year. Now here is the kicker. They preach savings throughout the seminar, but if you do the math, it doesn't make sense. First, they talk about "ownership". You own nothing. Your time share is really a prepaid 50 vacation package that you can really only use once per year. Forget the room splitting angle they pitch because nobody is going to trade you their villa in Mexico for half of your Cranberry room. If you buy the time share, they have first right of refusal to buy it back from you at a discounted rate. That is IF you can resell it. If they need to give away hotel stays and lock doors to sell it to you, how are YOU going to resell it? This is a financial burden like no other and in the end you are getting fleeced. Plus it really isn't any cheaper. $30,000 plus interest because most people do not pay cash and they finance at their 14%. Will total out to be around $50,000 and this is hoping that they use simple interest and not compounded like a credit card. $50,000 is $1000 per trip. Add you annual fees which in five years will be around $1500 per year, that equals $2500 and you now have to pay the fee to go somewhere other than Cranberry, so add another $300. Okay $2800 still isn't too bad right? Well keep in mind that this does not include food of your airfare. When you travel all inclusive, you get food and flight at a discount in the package. How much is a flight on its own? food?
So from every angle this time share is a very, VERY bad deal. I suggest that if you are interested in the cheap 2 day getaway, go for it, listen to their pitch and make your own decision, but for me, it was very easy to decide. Oh and they'll offer you a last ditch $1995 offer to travel twice anywhere in the world in their book, but again keep in mind that doesn't include airfare or food. They are very slick in their presentation. They talk about their own experiences and they use every catch phrase in the professinal sales handbook. I know because I have that very same training. They will get you to nod your head because they know that customers are more likely to buy when they keep agreeing with what you are saying, they will use assumptive closing to close the deal and they will use the "I just have to wait for my manager" tactic over and over again before they let you leave. Plus, they schedule the presentation right in the middle of your day, so it really forces your focus onto the presentation.
In summary, pay the money and go to Blue Mountain instead, you'll have a better time and nobody will try to take away your vacation money for the REST OF YOUR LIFE.
Oh nd the memories restaurant was also not good. The room looks okay but is also showing its age. (buttons were falling off the seating). I ordered the steak dinner at $28. The steak was average ad it came with 4 small roasted sliced potatoes. (think four home fries). Even with the $30 voucher it was still $60 and not at all worth it. Go to the Keg for your steak. It is cooked better comes with more and costs less.
I will say that the woman who scurries around at Breakfast is extremely hard working. The staff are good (other than the front desk), but the hotel needs an overhaul.

Room Tip: Room 300 was not very good.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
11 Thank DrVex007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Collingwood
Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre
#4 of 8 in Blue Mountains
Living Water Resort
Living Water Resort
#2 of 11 in Collingwood

Been to Cranberry Resort? Share your experiences!