“Mixed Emotions ”

Cranberry Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Collingwood
“Mixed Emotions ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

We'd decided to finally give Cranberry Resort a try after passing it by on our trips to Collingwood each year.

The hotel itself is very quaint and all on one floor. The lobby was very nicely decorated and clean as well.

The room we received, which was in the 200's, was very tidy but very hot (even when adjusting the heater) and very dated. This is where we started realizing that although the hotel seemed really nice at some parts it could really use some work with others.

For example, the pool is a really great size and has a nice jacuzzi attached to it. The flooring of the pool, however, is very rusty and the paint on the walls and in the change rooms are chipping. The shower in the change rooms were very nice though.

Also, the key cards that we were given upon checking in randomly stopped working - twice. Although the staff were trying to help us, no one was really sure how to rework the cards and they kept us there longer than necessary. This also brings me to how our room was vacant and ready to clean from 9:30, but nobody cleaned the room till 3:30 after we called guest services.

This all happened on Monday, which overall was a VERY different from the Sunday we checked in. The staff seemed a lot more impatient and inexperienced than the day before, so I would urge the resort to work on that.

However, with all that being said, there were some really high points during our stay. The front desk called the day we checked in within the first 5 minutes to check up on us, the washroom had heated floor, everything was very clean, the restaurants in the hotel were very nice, and the scenery was wonderful. The resort was also in close vicinity to restaurants, supermarkets, and other attractions, which is convenient.

Overall, it has the potential to be a great hotel, but with a little work done everywhere, not just in 2 or 3 places.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dan M, General Manager at Cranberry Resort, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Thank you for this very detailed review. You really took the time to give some honest feedback and I very much appreciate the comments. The good news is that in early 2014 we will be renovating the rooms at the Inn and we can't wait to show the improvements to our customers. We are working on some of the key card issues you encountered, but thank you for pointing it out to us. The staff friendliness is a major focus for us and as I reply to this review Chantelle, (the asst. Front Office Manager) and I are reviewing the schedule to talk with the team that worked on Monday. Regardless of the situation we must always be attentive to our customers with our eye on improving the customer experience. Thank you for the comments regarding our call back procedure to ensure you are happy with your accommodations. We will continue to work on these areas you mentioned and look to show improvements every day.
Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.
Dan McIlhone, CHA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

I got a deal on this hotel by attending a time share presentation. It was a good deal and the accommodations were fine given the deep discount. I didn't dine at Memories but I did have the breakfast buffet, which I'm sure would be better if you don't go at a peak time. Otherwise, the hotel was clean, simple and satisfactory for a 2 day visit.

I wouldn't recommend it if you want a special weekend getaway, but I went with a friend and we had a good time.

Room Tip: I don't think this hotel has room service... I also did not attend the spa.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mellymacd
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It's a shame that you didn't get an opportunity to dine in Memories restaurant. The food is awesome! The Food & Beverage team will be happy to look after you next time you visit us. This past Saturday we were extremely busy for the buffet breakfast and this had an impact on the level of service we provided. I am sorry for that. We made some quick adjustments and the Sunday service was much better for our valued customers. We even had a guest advise the front desk that it was the best service they have ever received in the Bistro! We were delighted to hear that. Please visit us again soon.
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

We just came back from a week at the Cranberry Resort where we have a timeshare. We stayed in the new addition of Cranberry Waterfront suites and enjoyed a beautiful view of Georgian Bay. We were very impressed with the decor of the 2-bedroom suite having a spacious living room,eat-in dining room and galley kitchen. The second bedroom had two big beds, a bathroom and a kitchenette which was perfect for our guests.
The staff were very friendly and helpful whenever we needed their assistance, from getting directions for local attractions to figuring out how to work the new modern appliances.
We are looking forward to going back again next year!

Room Tip: "higher floors and corner suites have the best views"
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jayandbee898
Dan M, General Manager at Cranberry Resort, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
We can't tell you happy we are to read this awesome review. I can't wait to read it to our staff at the Monday morning team huddle. I especially like reading that our team was friendly and helpful! It's very nice to hear as we continue to focus on our attitude and customer service deliverables. We are delighted to hear the great comments on the 2 bedroom units and functionality of them. We love them too!
Please visit us again soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

We booked a 3 bedroom condo - it had 2 levels and was terrific.

We went with 4 couples - 2 sets of skiers and we had everything we needed.

Spacious living area- judge master bedroom. Place for our skis / boards. Walk out to the lake. dining room table could have been bigger as we played card / board games at night and were a bit cramped.

Furnishing and decor were modern.

Everything was clean.

There was a long line upon check in and the staff brought around hot apple cider while we waited. A nice touch!

Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank kindkitchen
As I respond to this message the snow is flying in Collingwood! I bet you are anxious to get the ski season going and I can assure you it won't be long. We are going to continue with our apple cider welcome for our valued customers as last year it was a fan favorite. Please make sure you visit us again this winter season and thank you for taking the time to post this review.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

I should have known from the very first phone call!!
Called one evening to enquire about a room for our 20th Anniversary. The unprofessional person who answered my call was laughing when answering phone and had no idea what to say except that the waterfront suites are the way to go and to call back next day to enquire. So I proceeded to book online anyway ($50 in credits for online booking, which we were never offered) I received my confirmation number and confirmed the waterfront suite.
Called back the next day to ask about the rooms and late check out etc. The man on the phone was not very accommodating in regards to any later than one hour extra to check out and no no no early check in!!
We arrived about 420pm yesterday to be told that we didn't have a waterfront suite. I showed my confirmation and the girl was checking for us. I asked to see the room they had and my husband and I were shown the room reluctantly, they mentioned tree was a gift in room for us also. It had what we needed but was in no way anywhere close to being the suite we had envisioned when we booked.
We had been so excited to go away to celebrate and that just wrecked it.
After confirming that the waterfront was indeed full with members, we felt we had no choice but to take the room they had.
Front desk called a few hours later to see how things were. I told her that
we managing but it is not what we wanted. She said ok and have a great night!! We sat with regret the entire evening.
The jacuzzi was not really working well, the bed was hard and we were awakened at 630 from thumping above. That went on the entire morning.
When we checked out at noon we were not greeted at all. I said 413 checkout and I'll pay debit. That was our entire conversation. No one even asked how things were.
Needless to say perhaps a complementary night at the waterfront suites may make up for our disappointing night but we will see. There will be no good recommendations from us.

PS the room was clean and that was the only saving grace.
Brenda and Mike

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dan M, General Manager at Cranberry Resort, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank you for the review. We are very sorry that we couldn't accommodate you at the Water Front suite. I do know that when Chantelle was speaking with you she advised you that we would be discounting your rate by 35% for the inconvenience. The gift we put in your room was as a result of the staff becoming aware that it was your anniversary. In fact we had 3 other anniversary visits this past weekend and guests were very happy that we were proactive in sending a token for our best wishes and congratulations. We look forward to you giving us an opportunity to show you the improvements we are making in customer service.
Dan McIlhone, CHA

Travellers are raving about these Collingwood hotels

Ancaster
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Dirty, filthy rooms. Front desk staff poorly trained, constant problems with room bookings. Never, never again will I stay here. The gym is poorly equipped and the restaurant is nothing special. No concept of customer service.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank 329Linda
Dan M, General Manager at Cranberry Resort, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
As General Manager of a resort you are constantly looking for things to build on and improve the guest experience. For those that visit the resort know that I am available each day for any issues that may arise. I would have suspected that this visit would have been one where you would have reached out to speak to me regarding your concerns. I don't recall a discussion like this. Since October 23 I can tell you that I have spoken with three customers that had problems and they were resolved very quickly. As I mentioned in previous responses I am available by telephone and by email to talk and to find ways to continue to improve our service model. We are continuing to work very hard in this area and we are seeing results each week. In the interest of fairness we like the opportunity to act and remedy before reading about it.
Dmcilhone@thecranberryresort.com
705-446-3270
London, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

My husband booked this resort as an anniversary get away surprise. He had other things planned but the resort was supposed to be the excellent start. He asked for a king sized bed when he booked and was told no problem. When we arrived however the front desk clerk while checking us in said "there are no king beds available". Then she gave us the map, told us about the two available in house restaurants and that was it. The room had peeling paint torn carpeting and just looked run down and not worth the $200.00 we paid for the night. My husband had to go back to the front desk because she had forgotten a few of the necessities that were included in the package. I know it is not the hotel's fault but the next morning starting at 8am there were kids running and screaming in the hall. When we came out of our room two hours later, they were actually playing hockey in the hallway! Again, not the fault of the resort, but not helpful none the less. There was a housekeeping staff working on that floor who said nothing to this group of kids playing hockey, but then again, there was a parent there supervising so I guess that made it ok? When we checked out the only thing they said was "debit or credit?" There was no customer service upon check in, there was no customer service upon check out, and the room was a dump. I have no idea why they would think this rates such a high price for one night. We will not stay here again. Nor will we suggest that anyone else stay here either.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank daphne7
Dan M, General Manager at Cranberry Resort, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
On behalf of the team here at the Resort we want to wish you a Happy Anniversary! We are very sorry that your stay didn't go very well and I want you to know that we read your review out at our morning huddle. These huddles help us learn and improve on the overall customer service. We are making some good strides in this area but we have a way to go to be where we want to be. I am glad that Allanah reached out to you today and apologized in person. We look forward to you returning and enjoying our customer service.
Thanks again and Happy Anniversary.
Dan McIlhone, CHA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Collingwood
Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre
#4 of 8 in Blue Mountains
Living Water Resort
Living Water Resort
#2 of 11 in Collingwood

Been to Cranberry Resort? Share your experiences!