“Very Disappointed!!!!!”

Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Collingwood
“Very Disappointed!!!!!”
Reviewed 17 March 2006

Myself,my husband and 9 year old child arrived on the Saturday and checked in at the Manor. We met with Winston and were given voutures for dinner and breakfast. We were registered at the sister location down the sreet. When making the reservation I was told that the location would have an indoor/outdoor pool where you were able to swim indoors and proceed outdoors in the same pool. Huh! the pool was totally outdoors and the hot tub as well! We were told we would have a view of the ski slopes. The only view we had was of a dumpster behind the Toronto Ski School!! It started snowing about 6:00p.m. and we had made reservations at the Georgia Manor to experience the cuisine. (As the Mountain View did not have a restaurant at all) We drove through a snow storm to get there and brought our son over to the the Childrens play house. After being greeted by a young girl and checking with her as to there program we left our son to enjoy the activities and Pizza dinner. We went into the dining room for dinner which was the highlight of our stay. The service was very good. We barely got back to the hotel in the storm, there were two accidents going up the hill. The electricity went out at 10:00p.m. and therefore we had no heat for several hours. When we awoke in the morning it was still snowing and luckily we had brought food for breakfast as there were no restaurants within walking distance as we were told there would be (unless you think a 45 minute walk is walking distance for a young child). We decided due to the weather it would be best for us to leave as soon as possibe and I tried to reach the tour operator to reschedule our tour but unfortunately the phones were out at the Georgian Manor and there was no way to contact them. We packed up and went to the Georgian Manor (it is still snowing) I went to the front desk and explained we were leaving and that I had been trying to reach them for the past hour to reschedule our tour. The front desk clerk said that it was understandable due to the weather that we were leaving and not to worry she would let the tour guide know that we had to leave due to weather. Also she assured me that our Credit Card would be credited. I was more than willing to take the tour earlier that day but not being able to reach them made it very difficult. I was concerned for the safety of my family as they were forecasting even more snow throughout the day. As it was our trip home was treacherous. I grew up going to the Laurentians in Quebec and have lived across from Horseshoe Valley Resort so I know what it can be like to drive in a snow storm but I really did fear for our lives that day.
When I received my credit card statement I was shocked to see that the charge had not been credited. I called the hotel and explained our circumstances but was told that because we did not take the tour we were to be charged. I couldn't believe it. The only reason we were at the resort was to have a tour in that we did not ski and in the time we were there there was not much else to do as we were at the other location (do not suggest that location unless people are staying for much longer). I was told because we used the facility without taking the tour we would be charged. I don't understand a marketing company that would treat people that way? We arrived in good faith to take the tour. If it hadn't been for the weather we would have been there to enjoy the tour. We tried to reach those responsible for the tour.
It is not the money, it is the principle.
Extremely disappointed!

• Stayed February 2006
19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Waterloo, Ontario
Reviewed 26 February 2006

We were invited to stay for two days at this resort in Collingwood, Feb 23-25. This was our first trip to Collingwood area. The service was friendly- however just like the reviews mentioned the rooms are a 2 star at best. We had dirty linen, however they were quick to change it. The drain in the bath tub did not work properly- however they fixed it. We spent the day at Blue Mountain (beautiful area and great skiing!) a five minute drive from this hotel. Then we came back to the Georgian Manor and had dinner at the restaurant. The service was good. We were given a $30.00 dinner voucher. The meal was o.k. We used the pool in the evening-it was clean.We went for breakfast in the morning and were given a $10.00 voucher. Breakfast was good. The next morning we went on our presentation while the three kids went to the kids club. It was a good presentation, the sales guy was not too pushy.The rooms they are trying to sell you are beautiful. My husband and I are still not sold on the "vacation club" value when you calculate the numbers, so we declined to sign up. But overall the experience was a great family skii trip, and we really paid nothing for the accomodations. We were told that we would get our $69 for the two night accomodation refunded on our credit card.

• Stayed February 2006
10 Thank Waterbury3

Travellers are raving about these Collingwood hotels

Reviewed 17 January 2006

We recently were invited to a two night stay at the Georgian Manor at no cost as long as we attended a 90 minute presentation regarding timeshares. We were first assigned a below average hotel room that was clearly not what we had expected. We quickly went and asked about a possible upgrade, and found for $50/night we could have a one bedroom unit in the new buiding. This was well worth the extra money and it made our stay an enjoyable experience. On the final morning my wife and I went to the presentation and told them thanks but no thanks. Overall we had a good time mainly in due of the upgraded unit!

Bruce and Wendy Hughes

• Stayed January 2006
21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, ON
Reviewed 12 January 2006

I was really glad I read the reviews on this website before I went because it really prepared me for what was in store. They made no bones about how awful the rooms and facilities were i.e. pool. They even joked about it during the presentation. The bottom line is that the rooms were awful and very cramped. The pool was also very small and was usually at capacity however, the restaurant,dispite its appearance served very good fare. The sales presentation was not bad at all almost bordering on enjoyable. I am sure it depends on the sales person you are assigned but management does not encourage them to be excessively aggressive. The kids activities were really good and the staff were hardworking and nice. Unfortunately, there was no skiing while we were there so it was a long couple of days.

Stayed January 2006
18 Thank TorontoNY
Reviewed 22 December 2005

My husband and I attended a sales promotion also, and had the same experience as one of the other reviews. The sales people are so pushy and can talk you into anything. We did purchase the vacation club package, and are really regretting it. There is no way of getting out of the purchase once you leave, so please think hard while you are there. The hotel stay is not worth the trouble and pressure of the sales promotion. The hotel itself is okay, but nothing spectacular.

• Stayed July 2005
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto
Reviewed 16 December 2005

Georgian Manor Resort is both a timeshare and hotel. If you own here, the newly renovated owners suites are very nice. If you are a potential owner and are viewing the place you are likely staying in the owners units. As of May 2005, the RCI exchange units, which are both hotel and townhouse had not been renovated since the 80's. They are clean and functional and in the case of the townhouse quite spacious, however I would rate them a 2 star with the owners renovated units 4 star.

That said, the location is great; both close to Blue Mountain for skiing (or biking in the summer) and the Blue village, yet also close to town (Walmart to open in January 2006, Zellers, major grocery stores, and nice restaurants). During the summer there is horse back riding and bike rides, etc..

The kitchen makes it relatively easy to cook your own meals. We found nicer spatullas in the owners unit, then in the hotel unit, however were just making pancakes and eggs, so it was not a big deal. The hotel restaurant was 3.5 stars.

Staff were generally nice, however not really "customer" service oriented. There seems to be more of a by the book attitude; with the book having been written long ago.

• Stayed May 2005
18 Thank Sonya N
Toronto
Reviewed 23 October 2005

We stayed in the hotel Oct 9th. The room was not a luxury room but it was basic and clean. We attended the presentation same day and it was more than 90 mins. It was approx 2 hours. We did not feel the pressure since the sales rep knew this is not our kind of vacation spot. The dinner and break fast were good but pricey. Overall we had enjoyable weekend for less than $100.00 . The fall colours in Collingwood was fantastic.

I was told that credit will appear in a week and it did not so I sent an e-mail and I received the credit two days later.

• Stayed October 2005
16 Thank alihatravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Collingwood
Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain
#8 of 11 in Collingwood
Living Water Resort
Living Water Resort
#2 of 11 in Collingwood

Been to Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!