“Think twice before taking them up on the "free" stay”

Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Collingwood
Reviewed 17 June 2006

Like other reviews, we as well were upgraded to a suite--- a suite that was acceptable in 1970- the decor was extremely dated and the hallways and surrounding area had a very strange ordour.
The resort is extremely small in size with little to do for vacationers without children. The resort does not offer entertainment - only on Saturdays - and the bar does not open until dinner. On a positive note, the menu in the lobby restaurant was quite good.
Surrounding area including Blue Mountain Village and shopping area in Collingwood was great.
The spa is quite relaxing and under separate ownership from the resort. They really go the extra mile to ensure your spa time is excellent.
The sale of the time share took 2 hours and 10 minutes for them to except our No response. Not only were we dealing with our allocated salesperson, but also three of his "goons" trying to pressure us. The final gentleman we had to sit with is the one who provides the cheque for $100.00. We had said No many times and finally when we stood up to leave, he raised his voice and said that if we wanted our $100.00 we needed to give him 5 more minutes and sit back down. It was a joke. On a positive note, the time shares were very nicely decorated - but the high pressure sales from what seemed like untrustworthy individuals was enough to turn us off - and make the resort in it's entirity look scummy.
Overall - the surrounding area of Collingwood was a great spot to vacation - but as a word of caution - don't go just to have $100.00 discounted from your bill - you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2006
17  Thank Travel21444

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 11 June 2006

My wife and I spent the end of may at the resort and had a fantastic time.
We had booked a standard hotel room for three nights , and we agreed for the 90 min. tour .
When we got to front desk I asked about renting a small fridge , so we could keep our drinks cold. The girl looked at me and said . You have a full size kitchen, living room ,a King size bed ,Jacuzzi etc etc. Why would you need a small fridge?
I am not sure what happend but they gave a suite instead of a standard room , after beeing assured that this wouldn't cost us any more money she gave us the keys and we went to our suite , and it was like being at home witout the kids .The suite was very large ,very clean,very comfy. very wonderfull.
On wed. evening we took the free trip and free buffet at casinorama. You don't have to gamble at all if you don't want.
I found the lady a the tour a little rude , but she didn't force us to buy something we didn't want. . If it's not for you just say NO!
I had to ask for the $100,00 back but they gave us a check on the spot.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 May 2006

My husband, two kids (6 and 1) and myself just returned from a promotional stay at this resort. When we got there, we were surprised with the suite we were offered. It was a 1 bedroom suite with a fully equipped kitchen. Felt so much like being at home. Very clean and exceptional. We had dinner at the restaurant and I have to say that the food was better than eating at Red Lobster - it was delicious!!! The clubhouse was great - very friendly staff. I had to leave my kids there during the tour and they were so comfortable and did not want to leave. The tour, which they say is about 90 mins, to our surprise we were done in 1 hour. The rep did not pressure us and let us go as soon as we told him we were not ready to buy anything. It was that simple. Overall, we had a very good experience and I recommended my friends and family to take this offer if they get it. I got my refund right away - no problem! Feel free to email me with any questions.

5  Thank Sal31
Windsor, Ontario
Reviewed 6 May 2006

Booked trip at end of April - Spoke with a Denise and Jessica that promised the following - 'Multiple Hot Tubs, pools and jacuzzis on this 240 acre property, a balcony room and a 'GoldCard' of for local discounts and a $99 refundable deposit put back on your credit card after taking a 90 min. tour.

To make a long and painful story short there was not much true about any of this. The place you stay at is no better than a run down motel. We paid 69.95 a night for two additional nights and regret it. They would'nt allow us out of these additional days although we asked. (Winston said it would be no problem and his word is as good as anything - right!!) As far as the actual place you stay in...
Very dated

The pool is indoor and it a 1970's tile half above half inground pool about 15x30 with water jets and filter returns made with black PVC pipe on the OUTSIDE of the pool! (never seen that before) ( The outdoor pool was closed - evn thought they promised it was open after I specifically asked twice if it was open) The one hot two is a four man at best - also dated and in very rough shape - the tile around it is broken up and actually a danger for cutting your feet. the rail to guide you into the hottub is broken and wabbling and tile is broken up significantly. The tour was alright but the final pitch was a 25, 000 dollar commitment - on the spot!!!

Right! plus you would have to pay 500 to 600 weekly to vacation.
When we left I was on guard enough to go back to ensure that they were going to credit my card with the $99 deposit. They said 'hold on and have a seat' a lady came out with a hundred dollar bill cash - which is fine but what if I didn't go back and ask??? I wonder.
The frontdesk staff detaches themselves from the promotional people as an almost embarrasment - always claiming they have nothing to do with the promo and passes you off to them.

Bottom line is this place is not even close to what they claim to be. I would not suggest you try these offers. They claim to be associated with Intrawest (Blue mountain Resorts - and beautiful!) The people at Intrawest deny this emphatically!! We went and asked at the mountain resorts. Shady, Shady, Shady! The management will probably respond and poke holes in this account but I read these reviews and thought - it can be that be - the photos on the website look nice - well it is a scam - Their 4 year plan is 2 years in and they have about 1 /50th of their plans complete.

Many false promises and misleading attractions.

On a positive - they have a new putting green course in front and new stone gates at the entrance. The outdoor pool looks like it would be good if open - but rather small for this 'huge resort' a resort my wife and I walked around in 3 minutes. We spent the entire time off the property and at the Mountain Village - and surrounding area.
I live in Windsor Ont. and have no interest in devaluing this resort or promoting others, I just want no one else to experience this.
You people at this resort should think twice before lying to people and claiming word of mouth is your advertising.

19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Port Dover Ontario
Reviewed 19 April 2006

Room was just OK. Nothing to write home about. We have stayed at nicer places like Bestwestern, Travelodge and Days Inn. Food was pretty good but by the time we ate at 8 o'clock they had run out of some items. The $65 I paid for a 1 night 2 day promotional stay has still not been refunded when I was told that it would be if we went on the 3 hour, I mean, 90 minute tour. I called the gentleman at the desk this evening and he informed me that he would send my information to accounting right away and I will be refunded within 48 hours. Although it was well worth the $65 just to be in Collingwood for 2 days, I won't hold my breath waiting for the refund, epecially after reading other reviews of other victims disappointed in not receiving their refunds. Scammed.

D.Collis
Port Dover, Ontario

• Stayed: October 2005
17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Acton, Ontario
Reviewed 17 March 2006

Myself,my husband and 9 year old child arrived on the Saturday and checked in at the Manor. We met with Winston and were given voutures for dinner and breakfast. We were registered at the sister location down the sreet. When making the reservation I was told that the location would have an indoor/outdoor pool where you were able to swim indoors and proceed outdoors in the same pool. Huh! the pool was totally outdoors and the hot tub as well! We were told we would have a view of the ski slopes. The only view we had was of a dumpster behind the Toronto Ski School!! It started snowing about 6:00p.m. and we had made reservations at the Georgia Manor to experience the cuisine. (As the Mountain View did not have a restaurant at all) We drove through a snow storm to get there and brought our son over to the the Childrens play house. After being greeted by a young girl and checking with her as to there program we left our son to enjoy the activities and Pizza dinner. We went into the dining room for dinner which was the highlight of our stay. The service was very good. We barely got back to the hotel in the storm, there were two accidents going up the hill. The electricity went out at 10:00p.m. and therefore we had no heat for several hours. When we awoke in the morning it was still snowing and luckily we had brought food for breakfast as there were no restaurants within walking distance as we were told there would be (unless you think a 45 minute walk is walking distance for a young child). We decided due to the weather it would be best for us to leave as soon as possibe and I tried to reach the tour operator to reschedule our tour but unfortunately the phones were out at the Georgian Manor and there was no way to contact them. We packed up and went to the Georgian Manor (it is still snowing) I went to the front desk and explained we were leaving and that I had been trying to reach them for the past hour to reschedule our tour. The front desk clerk said that it was understandable due to the weather that we were leaving and not to worry she would let the tour guide know that we had to leave due to weather. Also she assured me that our Credit Card would be credited. I was more than willing to take the tour earlier that day but not being able to reach them made it very difficult. I was concerned for the safety of my family as they were forecasting even more snow throughout the day. As it was our trip home was treacherous. I grew up going to the Laurentians in Quebec and have lived across from Horseshoe Valley Resort so I know what it can be like to drive in a snow storm but I really did fear for our lives that day.
When I received my credit card statement I was shocked to see that the charge had not been credited. I called the hotel and explained our circumstances but was told that because we did not take the tour we were to be charged. I couldn't believe it. The only reason we were at the resort was to have a tour in that we did not ski and in the time we were there there was not much else to do as we were at the other location (do not suggest that location unless people are staying for much longer). I was told because we used the facility without taking the tour we would be charged. I don't understand a marketing company that would treat people that way? We arrived in good faith to take the tour. If it hadn't been for the weather we would have been there to enjoy the tour. We tried to reach those responsible for the tour.
It is not the money, it is the principle.
Extremely disappointed!

• Stayed: February 2006
19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 February 2006

We were invited to stay for two days at this resort in Collingwood, Feb 23-25. This was our first trip to Collingwood area. The service was friendly- however just like the reviews mentioned the rooms are a 2 star at best. We had dirty linen, however they were quick to change it. The drain in the bath tub did not work properly- however they fixed it. We spent the day at Blue Mountain (beautiful area and great skiing!) a five minute drive from this hotel. Then we came back to the Georgian Manor and had dinner at the restaurant. The service was good. We were given a $30.00 dinner voucher. The meal was o.k. We used the pool in the evening-it was clean.We went for breakfast in the morning and were given a $10.00 voucher. Breakfast was good. The next morning we went on our presentation while the three kids went to the kids club. It was a good presentation, the sales guy was not too pushy.The rooms they are trying to sell you are beautiful. My husband and I are still not sold on the "vacation club" value when you calculate the numbers, so we declined to sign up. But overall the experience was a great family skii trip, and we really paid nothing for the accomodations. We were told that we would get our $69 for the two night accomodation refunded on our credit card.

• Stayed: February 2006
10  Thank Waterbury3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Collingwood
Westin Trillium House Blue Mountain
#5 of 11 in Collingwood
Living Water Resort
Living Water Resort
#2 of 11 in Collingwood

Been to Georgian Bay Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!