“Never Returning To The Smoke”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of TheSmoke

TheSmoke
Ranked #4 of 116 Restaurants in Collingwood
Price range: US$7 - US$22
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Canadian
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: TheSmoke has taken BBQ to a Whole New Level. From traditional award winning BBQ such as succulent Smoked Ribs, Beef Brisket, Chicken and Pulled Pork to Non Traditional BBQ such as Smoked Trout, Smoked Balls of Meat, Smoked Burgers and Smoked Ice Cream. Everything is made from scratch on the premises from the Chef's own recipes. Recently filmed for the Food Network Show, "You Gotta Eat Here" Season 4, with Host John Catucci, tells you we are doing something right. We have also won many awards, including the People's Choice Award for Collingwood's Taste of The Town, two years in a row. Our menu offers creative BBQ Sandwiches, like a Wild Boar Bacon Lettuce, Tomato and Smoked Cheddar Sandwich (WBBTLC) on grilled Sourdough, to our "Cow Meats Pig" Sandwich (basically and Beef Brisket sandwich on top of their Pulled Pork sandwich. Also voted "Best Burgers" by Days Out Ontario, with their smoked Beef, Turkey or Salmon Burgers, or the Poutine Burger, Pig on a Patty or Wholly Cow. Don't leave out the other mains, like Smoked Salmon, Trout, Wings, Brisket, Pulled Pork and Bacon Wrapped Loaf of Meat. And pick one or two sides from Sweet Potato Fries, Mac n Cheese, BBQ Beans (a 24 hour process to make), Salads and more. In addition to dine in, and take out, we also have take home. Most of the meats are smoked and fully cooked, individually cry-o-vacked, ready to take home and re-heat. From Full racks of Pork Back Ribs, Smoked Burgers, Trout, Bacon and More. Everything is made in house, and full of flavour. Five house made BBQ sauces are at the table to play with, and purchase to take home
“Never Returning To The Smoke”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

I went to the Smoke for the first time and I ordered "The Mini Beef Buster Burger." I have a severe allergy to dairy and when I ordered the burger, I stated that I had the allergy and told them not to put anything containing milk on the burger, like cheese. When the burger arrived, I bit into the burger and quickly realized that the bun was coated in butter. When we notified the server, she checked with the chef and returned, saying, "Oh, you told us that you had an allergy to dairy, not butter." The waitress seemed to think that butter was not made out of milk. They brought me another burger without butter but they weren't very apologetic. I ended up with an allergic reaction, later that evening. I will never return to the smoke.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Justin B
Cam D, Owner at TheSmoke, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
We do take allergies VERY seriously. I remember hearing about your experience. I believe you came in mid February. Unfortunately, your server let all of us down. Some people are lactose intolerant, and others like you, allergic to all dairy. Since your episode in February, we have implemented systems, and educated both front and back of house on the critical nature of allergies. I apologize for your reaction, it should not have happened. I am only grateful that it was not more serious. If you change your mind, and will give us another chance, please ask to see me. I would like to personally apologize, and reassure you that it will not happen again.

Ontario
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

What has happened to The Smoke? Ribs were dry, tough - none of the juicy mouthwatering hot freshness I remember from the grand opening. Mac & Cheese - just weird, no flavour, no macaroni, Italian pasta more like small rigatoni
Brisket-not bad-3 stars for "ok"
Potato Salad- I didn't eat it but everyone else in my family who did have been puking all night-literally. Also overpriced- really expensive for BBQ/smokehouse fare.

1 Thank ShoreRunner
Cam D, Owner at TheSmoke, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Well, that review needs a few responses Sam. First - Did you tell your server that the ribs were dry? If you did, we would have gladly fixed it right away with another rack. We want our customers to be happy. Second - Our Mac n Cheese is different, and we are complimented on it all of the time. And to be honest, it is not for everybody. If you love KD, then you probably won't appreciate our Mac Sauce. We only use fresh cheddar (not processed), including smoked cheddar. And instead of regular macaroni noodles, we use Penne Rigate, as it hold the sauce better. Thirdly - We sell a ton (literally) of potato salad. It is based on my mothers recipe, and you are the first to complain, and the first who has related any of our food to throwing up. I am in shock on that one. We make a fresh 10 pound batch 3 to 4 times a week. So, there were at least 30 other customers who ate from the same batch, and no one else has called, or reported any illness. I suspect that your family ate somewhere else and got sick, and more likely from the morning or the day before as most food illnesses take 12 - 48 hours to cause a sever reaction. Lastly - Overpriced? Compared to what? A full rack of Ribs, with 2 sides is $25 here. The two other places in town that feature full racks of back ribs are are priced at $23 with One Side, or the other $27 with 2 sides (no names mentioned). Every customer should know that if there is a problem with your food, at any restaurant, tell your server. Most places will fix it. Here, we will fix it, as we want you to leave happy.
Canada
“If you like smoked food, this is a place for you”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

This was my third experience at TheSmoke and it did not disappoint. The service and food were excellent. We called for a reservation for 11 people on short notice and they were able to fit us in for an early dinner tonight. Lucky because the place was packed when we left.

I had the feature half rack of ribs and wings with two sides. I like to get my smoked meats dry so I can try different combinations of their sauces. The menu of sauces is colour coded to correspond with the lids on the containers at the table so you can't go wrong. Clever!

The only thing I would change is the mandatory gratuity on large groups. I really resent that. I understand that when it is a crowd of teenagers chipping in their cash that the server might get shorted on the gratuity. That needs to be dealt with. When the server's opening remark is that there is a 15% gratuity automatically, that doesn't sit well with me. Basically the customer is being told "You will pay extra for your meal regardless of how good the service is, because there are so many of you".

Well the service was good, not great and our food for the group came out over a span of about 10 minutes. We could see the server impatiently tapping her fingers as she waited for the kitchen staff to get things right. So no blame on her for that problem. She would no doubt have received as much or more of a gratuity but because of the policy, she got what she got.

Definitely worth a stop in if you like that style of food.

• Visited April 2014
“A Special Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

It seems so many restaurants offer pretty much the same items on their menus, it is refreshing to find somewhere that tries to be different. The Smoke does just that. Sure, Pulled Pork is everywhere these days, but it really belongs here. Barbeque is their specialty, as you realize from the smokey atmosphere the moment you enter. That theme is carried throughout a surprisingly broad list of offerings. This is the place for carnivores.

Being our third visit, it only reinforced the previous good experiences. Our Wednesday lunch meant that Pork Ribs were featured, so three of us went that way. It was our first time with this selection and we were all impressed. The fourth main ordered was Beef Brisket Sandwich, and he was very happy. The meat was not at all dry as suggested in another review. Our server, Ashley, was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. Service was prompt, food delicious and portions ample.

I must comment on an earlier review (Feb. 19/14) which slammed The Smoke for declining his take-away request. While I can understand his disappointment, his scoring is most unfair. Every restaurant suffers situations that overwhelm their ability to prepare food. This person's request was denied rather than providing unacceptable service. I think he was fairly treated and should appreciate the honourable decision made by the management.

We will return.

• Visited April 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Avoid the brisket”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Foods okay aside from the brisket which was super dry. Room is nice. Service is okay.
Beer was good, but I have creemore to thank for that.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Fudi63
Cam D, Owner at TheSmoke, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
I am sorry your Brisket was dry. I wish you would have mentioned something to your server, as we would have corrected the issue immediately. We have served over 7,000 pounds of Smoked Beef Brisket, and to date, I may have had 5 people complain. There are two parts to a Brisket, the Point and the Flat. The Flat is the leaner section, and sometimes it can dry if left out. The Point has more fat, and is always juicy. We don't smother our brisket in BBQ sauce, like other BBQ places. We want you to taste the meat. I think a "poor" rating is a little harsh, since you did say the food was okay. We want all of our customers to "love" our food, and most do. Again, you should have told your server. You would have written a very different review.