“Decent - not great!”

Ranked #4 of 116 Restaurants in Collingwood
Price range: US$7 - US$21
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: TheSmoke has taken BBQ to a Whole New Level. From traditional award winning BBQ such as succulent Smoked Ribs, Beef Brisket, Chicken and Pulled Pork to Non Traditional BBQ such as Smoked Trout, Smoked Balls of Meat, Smoked Burgers and Smoked Ice Cream. Everything is made from scratch on the premises from the Chef's own recipes. Recently filmed for the Food Network Show, "You Gotta Eat Here" Season 4, with Host John Catucci, tells you we are doing something right. We have also won many awards, including the People's Choice Award for Collingwood's Taste of The Town, two years in a row. Our menu offers creative BBQ Sandwiches, like a Wild Boar Bacon Lettuce, Tomato and Smoked Cheddar Sandwich (WBBTLC) on grilled Sourdough, to our "Cow Meats Pig" Sandwich (basically and Beef Brisket sandwich on top of their Pulled Pork sandwich. Also voted "Best Burgers" by Days Out Ontario, with their smoked Beef, Turkey or Salmon Burgers, or the Poutine Burger, Pig on a Patty or Wholly Cow. Don't leave out the other mains, like Smoked Salmon, Trout, Wings, Brisket, Pulled Pork and Bacon Wrapped Loaf of Meat. And pick one or two sides from Sweet Potato Fries, Mac n Cheese, BBQ Beans (a 24 hour process to make), Salads and more. In addition to dine in, and take out, we also have take home. Most of the meats are smoked and fully cooked, individually cry-o-vacked, ready to take home and re-heat. From Full racks of Pork Back Ribs, Smoked Burgers, Trout, Bacon and More. Everything is made in house, and full of flavour. Five house made BBQ sauces are at the table to play with, and purchase to take home
Collingwood, Canada
“Decent - not great!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Very nice atmosphere and good service. Food was good - little overpriced - and not really anything special!

• Visited December 2013

Collingwood, Canada
“AMAZING!!!”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Been to the smoke a couple of times and had a couple of different dishes like the pulled pork and burgers. They are my two favorite items at the smoke and the burgers just melt in your mouth. 5 stars!!!

• Visited April 2014
Penetanguishene, Canada
“Wow! D-Licious!!”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

So it was our one year anniversary. We spent the day at the spa, stayed at the Holiday Inn and wanted a nice fancy dinner. We made reservations about 2 km away and decided to walk. On our way we spotted The Smoke. The succulent sight of Smoked Ribs caught our attention. We called and cancelled our prior reservations and decided to eat here.
Lets just say we got a TON of food with our meals. The Ribs, wings, potatoe salad, fries and gravy and salads were ALL so amazing. We have nothing bad to say about the food. We each got half a rack of ribs with all of the above and split everything and we left with some ...for $75 including drinks. That's awesome
The only downfall to the place was that the bathroom wasn't as clean as I expected , soap all over the floor.. But hey, it's the food that counts. We'd go back in a heartbeat as the menu is HUGE!
So pleased :)

• Visited May 2014
“Never Returning To The Smoke”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I went to the Smoke for the first time and I ordered "The Mini Beef Buster Burger." I have a severe allergy to dairy and when I ordered the burger, I stated that I had the allergy and told them not to put anything containing milk on the burger, like cheese. When the burger arrived, I bit into the burger and quickly realized that the bun was coated in butter. When we notified the server, she checked with the chef and returned, saying, "Oh, you told us that you had an allergy to dairy, not butter." The waitress seemed to think that butter was not made out of milk. They brought me another burger without butter but they weren't very apologetic. I ended up with an allergic reaction, later that evening. I will never return to the smoke.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Justin B
Cam D, Owner at TheSmoke, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
We do take allergies VERY seriously. I remember hearing about your experience. I believe you came in mid February. Unfortunately, your server let all of us down. Some people are lactose intolerant, and others like you, allergic to all dairy. Since your episode in February, we have implemented systems, and educated both front and back of house on the critical nature of allergies. I apologize for your reaction, it should not have happened. I am only grateful that it was not more serious. If you change your mind, and will give us another chance, please ask to see me. I would like to personally apologize, and reassure you that it will not happen again.
Ontario
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

What has happened to The Smoke? Ribs were dry, tough - none of the juicy mouthwatering hot freshness I remember from the grand opening. Mac & Cheese - just weird, no flavour, no macaroni, Italian pasta more like small rigatoni
Brisket-not bad-3 stars for "ok"
Potato Salad- I didn't eat it but everyone else in my family who did have been puking all night-literally. Also overpriced- really expensive for BBQ/smokehouse fare.

1 Thank ShoreRunner
Cam D, Owner at TheSmoke, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Well, that review needs a few responses Sam. First - Did you tell your server that the ribs were dry? If you did, we would have gladly fixed it right away with another rack. We want our customers to be happy. Second - Our Mac n Cheese is different, and we are complimented on it all of the time. And to be honest, it is not for everybody. If you love KD, then you probably won't appreciate our Mac Sauce. We only use fresh cheddar (not processed), including smoked cheddar. And instead of regular macaroni noodles, we use Penne Rigate, as it hold the sauce better. Thirdly - We sell a ton (literally) of potato salad. It is based on my mothers recipe, and you are the first to complain, and the first who has related any of our food to throwing up. I am in shock on that one. We make a fresh 10 pound batch 3 to 4 times a week. So, there were at least 30 other customers who ate from the same batch, and no one else has called, or reported any illness. I suspect that your family ate somewhere else and got sick, and more likely from the morning or the day before as most food illnesses take 12 - 48 hours to cause a sever reaction. Lastly - Overpriced? Compared to what? A full rack of Ribs, with 2 sides is $25 here. The two other places in town that feature full racks of back ribs are are priced at $23 with One Side, or the other $27 with 2 sides (no names mentioned). Every customer should know that if there is a problem with your food, at any restaurant, tell your server. Most places will fix it. Here, we will fix it, as we want you to leave happy.