“Character”

The Station Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Cochrane
“Character”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Rooms converted from railway station so they are smaller but Clean, modern. AC, wifi, tv, ironing board and iron, desk. Room vibrates when a train goes by as you are only meters from the track. Restaurant on premise-average fare.

Room Tip: Not as noisy on parking lot side (re train)
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Tracy M, Manager at The Station Inn, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Hi, thanks for your recent stay with us! We hope you will come back (and request a room on the non-track side for a quieter experience!).

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Mississauga
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We decided to stay at the Station Inn on Cochane before going on the Polar Bear Express as a unique experience of staying in a Train Station.

The room itself was clean and nicely furnished. It was however quite small, this was OK for us as we were not spending much time their, but it a bit more space for 4 would have been nice. There was only a small table a chair along with the two beds and not a lot of empty floor space.

The bathroom was clean, but starting to show some wear. The soap/shampoo was from dispensers which seems quite cheap and lacking some basic sanitary function one would expect at a hotel for this price (I expect sealed un-reuable soaps/shampoos).

A microwave was available in the common area which was handy to warm drinks. The room was generally quite, but it was quite easy to hear normal volume conversations in the hallway.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Tracy M, Manager at The Station Inn, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Hi, thank you for staying with us on your recent Polar Bear Express trip!

We had installed the hand soap containers in an effort to reduce our 'footprint'; since that time there have been some great new products brought on the market that we are currently looking into. We do appreciate your feedback about them as it helps us make informed decisions about guest amenities.

We hope you stay with us again soon!
Swanton, Maryland
Reviewed 23 April 2013

The Station Inn is mostly marketed to the railfan crowd, but it is a wonderful place to stay even if you do not qualify as a train fanatic but still enjoy them. More that a few train conductors greeted us with waves and blew their horns for us.

The staff makes you feel like you’re a revered member of the family and spoils you rotten. The breakfast is fantastic. The rooms are clean and the common area is spotless.

They have bent over backwards to make sure guests have everything they need to enjoy their stay. I am a drug addict and my drug of choice is books. Nearly every place you find to sit, either outside on the porch or indoors, has a reading lamp next to it. I spent two relaxing days with my feet up, with a good book in hand and watched trains go by.

Many of the guests I met had been here before. It was my first stay and I am already looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Nancy T
Moosonee, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We had to overnight in Cochrane before we jumped the train in the morning, so we chose this hotel because of its location! The staff who checked us in late at night was very friendly and polite, that is always plus to be greeted with a pleasant employee(s). I've stayed here in the past and always requested a LARGE room and to have a room located on the street side. Due to the late reservation we made the only room I was able to get was located on the track side and it was very small, but doable since it was just an overnight stay. The train was loud going up and down the tracks but it was okay when I shut the window (I had the window open because the heat was on full blast, it was very hot when we walked into the room). We asked for a wake up call at 6AM but received it at 5AM same thing happened to my Aunt who stayed there that night as well. I assume that was a technical glitch ..... the rooms I stayed in the past were clean this room was clean however the floor in the washroom smelled like urine..... Despite the washroom smelling like urine we would stay here again I am willing to give it another chance hopefully the staff cleans the bathroom better next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room and for the room to be located on the street side!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jessica R
Tracy M, Manager at The Station Inn, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Thanks for staying with us!
I have asked our Guest Service Manager to check the wake-up call system to ensure its acuracy. I can appreciate an hour earlier wake-up call was probably not welcome.
I apologize the washroom was not up to our usual high standards. We will be speaking with our housekeeping staff to ensure consistency and make sure no details are overlooked.
To avoid any future disappointment with the room selection, I would suggest booking as soon as you know future travel dates!
We look forward to you staying with us again!
Reviewed 5 February 2013

My husband and I recently travelled to Cochrane. Friends of ours suggested that we stay at The Station Inn and I must say that I was extremely impressed with the quality of service we received. The staff was courteous and polite, we immediately felt welcomed. The rooms were not only clean but very comfortable. They offer great rooms and amenities at a reasonable price. After experiencing a true Northern winter's day, we were happy to enjoy a warm complimentary Keurig treat from the comfort of our rooms (nothing better than hot chocolate on a frosty day!).

Overall, an excellent experience at The Station Inn! I would recommend it to anyone planning an overnight stay in Cochrane.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alice M
Reviewed 5 February 2013

My friend and I stayed last month, and I must say that we were extremely pleased with the service. The rooms were clean, and the location is ideal (being at the heart of the town). Also, the price for the room was more than decent. I cannot wait until my next visit to Cochrane so that I could enjoy the lovely stay at the Station Inn.

-Talia

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Moorefield, Ontario
Reviewed 2 January 2013

My wife and I arrived by Northlander Train (now cancelled) on route to Moosenee by Polar Bear Express Train, which necessitated an overnight stay. Having the hotel in the same building as the station is quite convenient. We booked the room for 2 nights and left our baggae plus some food and wine in the ensuite fridge . This worked well, returning to find all in order and the room made up.
The hotel lobby is in the same common room as the railway dispatch office and passenger waiting room. A large, bright, clean, modernized and busy room.
The hotel/station is conveinently located at South side of Cochrane just off Highway 11. there is large free parking. The hotel / station/ restraunt building is well kept and appears recently renovated.
There is a decent resteraunt in the complex which is closed when the evening train and bus arrive. It is open early in the morning though and busy with travellers, locals, and train and hydro staff. The train does have a good dining/bar car if arriving later.
The rooms are recently renovated with the coneinences one would expect in a $100 + room, and are clean.
Downside, the rooms are a bit small, with the ensuite bathrooms probably expanded at the expense of bedroom area, and as mentioned the dining room is closed in the evening when some passengers are coming and going.
Booking could also be improved .The staff who took the booking was friendly and competent, but had to be phoned separatly as Ontario Northland (where you book the train and who presumably own the station) could or would not book a room or make a connection without hanging up and dialing another number. Also booking on-line or through an agent such as Hotel.com seemed problamatic. There are apparently no discounts for such things as early booking, confirmed booking, CAA, etc.
We walked around Cochrane in the evening . It is a pleasant town and quiet in the evening.
In summary a pleasant experience with the charm and idiosincracies one would expect from a non-chain railway era hotel. Easily accessed from Highway 11/ TransCanada Highway.

Room Tip: If you are a train fan ask for a South facing room toward the yards. If you like quiet ask for a No...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Garth N
Tracy M, Manager at The Station Inn, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback about our phone and reservation system. We offer a senior discount and a snowmobilers discount; we are currently looking at other discount options and hope to have something in place soon.
We hope you will be back to visit us in Cochrane again!