“Happy with our overnight stay.”
Review of Lotus Motel

Lotus Motel
Lotus Motel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Cobourg
Sarnia
“Happy with our overnight stay.”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This is the 2nd summer that we spent a night at the Lotus Motel and were we entirely happy both times. Nice location with both a Wendy's and a Tim Horton's nearby. Friendly staff. Were advised that hot water might be slow to our room - no problem - had lots of hot water.

1 Thank tmelodic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My son's ball team stayed here July 5 and 6, 2013. I would never return, nor would I send my worst enemy there! Upon check in, we were warned that the hot water would take forever to get to our room, as it came from a tank under the office. We were told they weren't sure if there were towels in our room, but if not we could go and ask for some. (that happened to another family, and when they asked for towels the employee started to smell the towels to see if they were clean or dirty in the pile on the washer!) I was actually lucky compared to other families staying there... our room at least smelled like bleach when we entered...however the clean smell was the only thing clean in the room... There were spider webs everywhere, stains on the walls, floors and ceiling (I don't even want to know) and the bathroom tile was literally crumbling and so mildew covered I refused to shower without my shoes on! Our beds were far newer than in other rooms, but the sheets were still stained, and the comforters were thin, smelly and stained as well. I wasn't expecting a 5 star resort, but when my teenage boys could have cleaned better, blindfolded, then I have an issue! Do not stay here... even if they say there are renovated rooms since this review, unless the renovation involved a bulldozer or a hazmat team, stay away!!!

Room Tip: The Best Western down the street looked beautiful... 2 of our ball families managed to switch there...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Cobourg hotels

Kitchener, ON
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Before I start my review I need to premise that I am not a fussy traveller, and that I have stayed at many motels previously, and all I need to be happy is a clean, comfortable, safe, friendly environment. We stayed at the Lotus Motel with our son's ball team on July 5 & 6, and let's just say that it was an adventure to say the least. I'm going to start with the postives....uhhmmm...the location was close to the Legion ball diamonds, the 401, McDonald's, Wendy's, Tim Horton's and a small strip plaza. The room had a fridge, microwave and a kettle. That's the best I can do for positives. We should have known something was fishy when we had to pay in FULL upon check in....normal procedure is to pay at check out. We paid $203.00 for two nights at this "Bates Motel" that had no ammenties what so ever!! The owners were clearly taking advantage of the ball tournament being hosted in their city by upping their rates for the weekend. The carpet in my room was so disgusting that it crunched under our feet...I'm not kidding!!!...stains and mystery residue everywhere.....God only knows where those stains came from. After the initial 'crunch', I advised my family to leave their shoes on while in the room. The bedspreads had MANY cigarette holes in them, there was no phone in our room, no alarm clock, and the A/C worked somewhat but it sounded like a freight train was coming through our room (ended up turning it off so we could sleep). There were three of us in the room and we were given two very small thin towels...thankfully I had packed beach towels and used them. The hot water was questionable---the only way to get a warm shower was to NOT turn on the cold water, and even then you were doing a dance in the shower...cold water jump out, luke warm water jump in, repeat until you are finished or tired. Thanks to the permanent residents at the Lotus Motel, we had the 'joy' of observing the police protecting the community by breaking up a domestic dispute in front of our young sons early Saturday afternoon . It was quit the adventure, to say the least, staying at this establishment. Some of our ball families were smart enough to not check in and head down to the Best Western and enjoy their stay in Cobourg, and one family checked out on Saturday and checked into the Best Western for our last night----yes folks it is THAT BAD!!

1 Thank LovetheSun72
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed here with our ball team for a tournement. What a joke! Rooms smelled really bad. Beds were super hard. No hot water! Don't take your shoes off when you are in the room. We got 2 tiny towels for the 3 of us in our room. When we went to get more, before they passed us the towels, they smelled them first, I guess to make sure they were clean? The police visited the motel on the Saturday afternoon, they was a fight between two people that live there at the motel! I would take the extra driving time and stay somewhere in Port Hope or Trenten.

1 Thank Travelchick181736
Cornwall, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2013 via mobile

Change of owners since September 2012. No dogs allowed anymore. I stayed in a room with a kitchen. It was spacious and bright.
For someone wanting inexpensive with no frills but a good location to get to the 401 or Cobourg/ Port Hope/ Gores Landing, this matches.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank dalmania_11
Dunnville, Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Came because my mother was having eye surgery early next morning. Everything was excellent and close to hospital. When we got here were given an extra discount because of the surgery. Staff very friendly and helpful. Would come here again over more expensive chain hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank n_collins3
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 13 September 2012

awesome exp would def stay agian the new managers were so helpful rooms were clean ty pat and corrie and good luck once again ty for the service also the location was great fast food close beach was also close within 5 min drive

Room Tip: 110 was awesome for us also they showed us 102 all good
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cobourg
Comfort Inn Cobourg
#4 of 6 in Cobourg
The Woodlawn Inn
The Woodlawn Inn
#1 of 7 in Cobourg

Been to Lotus Motel? Share your experiences!