“Love this hotel”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Chatham
Toronto, Canada
“Love this hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

I statyed this hotel on my business trip ,, first thing that attracted me is the building, location . The staffs are really great , been to different places different stays , but this hotel I really felt like at home seriously ..I myself consider as a very picky guy , but here my stay was so pleasant and happy throughout my stay here, definitely would come back here,...

Room Tip: Every room unique and really gorgeous ,
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank farook2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Wyandotte, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

A charming, unique place to stay with very helpful staff. We got a tour of all the rooms that were open and an upgrade without even asking for one. Just delightful!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paula N
Trussville, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

I love staying at the Retro, it is such a unique hotel with each suite being very different from the next - makes multiple stays more fun. The staff is very friendly and helpful - always willing to go the extra mile to meet your needs. The restaurant "Chilled Cork" is also very good and has that same friendly staff. I highly recommend Retro.

Room Tip: I have several favorite suites, but I particularly enjoyed Urban Studio and Sky.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Gail S
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

A very good boutique hotel. By far your best bet in Chatham. The water temp needs to be increased a bit...no use having a huge soaker tub if you can only get warm water to fill it with.
They provide free access to a gym and yoga, but I don't think their web site reflects this. I'm active in yoga and given there is not much to do in Chatham I would have taken advantage of this, had I been aware in advance and brought yoga gear.
The hotel is renovating the business centre, which is going to be under the room I was staying in. Construction started a bit too early for my tastes. Before 8 a.m. in fact.
They give free bottled water in the room, but didn't replenish it daily, probably just an oversight.
Like I said, best option in Chatham, but with a new Holiday Inn opening it is best not to rest on your laurels. For the price difference, business people may choose a more reasonable option if the little amenities start to drift away

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank enoeno
Fishers, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

My son and I took an early July trip to see baseball games in Detroit (Saturday night) and Toronto (Sunday afternoon) - we wanted to stay somewhere in between the two cities and booked Retro Suites based on TA reviews and we were not disappointed.

A series of severe storms delayed our game in Detroit and we did not arrive in Chatham until after midnight. Parking was about a block away, the walk felt very safe and well lit. The lobby was inviting. The front desk clerk showed us to our room, the Brownstone.

Nice room, spacious. We did not have an issue the with the lack of windows in the room, however we were at the hotel for less than 8 hours. I wish we could have spent more time here.

The circular shower unit was unique and more than did the job.

The room was very warm throughout the night - we did not realize that the thermostat was a remote control unit. We were adjusting a thermostat that no longer works. The room cooled quickly in the morning once we realized how to use the remote.

The TV remote was very high tech - access to several channels inlcuding all the local CBC and CTV channels from across Canada.

I doubt we will ever be in Chatham again, but if we are, the Retro Suites will be our choice. Thanks TripAdvisor!

Room Tip: Ask for a demonstration of how the TV and HVAC remotes work when the front desk shows you your room...
Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ysuindy
Tilbury, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

Even though we live only a half hour away, we stayed here for my husband's birthday so we could enjoy our dinner at The Chilled Cork without having to drive home. We stayed in The Study, and we thrilled with the fabulous decor and the comfort of the room. I would definitely stay here again, and would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SharonDrummond
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

We had read the reviews but were still awed by this hotel.The details in furniture, design, artwork were beyond our expectations. It is super clean and its uniqueness is a pleasure to behold. Additonally, our room was equipped with a fridge, microwave, kitchen supplies - really a great experience. There were a few quirks but I still have to give it an excellent rating. There was no popcorn in the room and we could get only one channel on the TV; both of those probably would have been addressed if I had spoken with staff - but when I dialed down, a machine came on (never had that happen before - perhaps a beeper could be introduced so staff is always on-call). Instead, we read - for us, not a big problem. Most staff were forthcoming but some could be more energetic in assisting visitors. Still, you have to stay here - it is fun, funky, and so comfortable.

Room Tip: Be sure to specify; I wanted a tub and a window; no view but lovely decor.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple