“Okay stay....”
Review of Sword Motor Inn

Sword Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bancroft
Reviewed 9 October 2012

When we arrived we were in the lobby for a good 20 minutes for check in, and it didn't seem that busy, but they were acting like a bus load of people just came in. When we got to our room it was in the very back of the hotel the apparent 'new part' with slanted floors, which was muggy, and musty. We got into our room and it felt very damp I told one of the owners and I don't think she got it all she kept telling me is it's from the weather and that the carpets were new. When we were bringing stuff into our room the door accidentally slammed behind us and we heard the neighbour room cursing at us, the same door had notes from cleaning staff unable to gain access to the room, and do not disturb sign on the door, all this in the middle of the day, a little sketchy if you ask me. I went to look at the facilities; the pool, hot tub ect, hot tub was very small, one man in it and I didnt feel comfortable going in, change rooms were outdated and the tiny pool was packed. The beds were the best part of the hotel! Do not go to this hotel and expect to sleep in past 8, there were doors slamming all morning, and in the back part you need to go through two doors to get to your room, one for the main building and one for your room. Lastly I went for breakfast the next morning and it was very overpriced it was 10$ for a basic breakfast which most breakfast places would charge 6-8$ for tops, and it wasn't that great. They had one server in there she was good but I sat for about 8 minutes before even ordering a coffee.

Room Tip: I don't know what the other rooms at the front were like, but I would ask for a non high traffic...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 September 2012

I have given this hotel a 3 rating because of the friendly staff, however the rooms are tired and musty. There was a man smoking in the non-smoking room and I found a pillow under the dresser which I left there. Location is good and parking is good. I stayed on the 2nd floor with narrow balconies. They have chair on these balconies so you have to dodge the chairs to get by with your bags...just a poor design.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We stayed there Sat. night Sept 22, 2012. The motel was sold from the Lee family to the Patel family approx 1 1/2 months ago. the woman at the front desk that has the night shift (with dark hair) I should have got her name is fantastic. She promotes the hotel, and believes in it. I talked to her on the phone and in person and the management should be glad they have her. Bu the hotel is older but very clean. Our room 136 was clean, but small especially the bathroom. They supply more than most hotels/motels - shampoo, conditioner, lotion and mouthwash. They have a heated inside pool, sauna, whirlpool and gym which we did not check out. We looked in the games room and it was fine. But the main problem is the dining room. Previous reviews when the Lees had it was how good it was and the buffet, etc. We went to it and would have been the 4th table. I waitress and she was not in site. The people at the next table (6) got up and were looking for her. Finally she came out of the kitchen with salads for a table of 2. The 2 other tables were ready to order long before she returned. We realized we would be lucky to have our order taken for quite a while. Previous reviews said how busy the dining room was. it was not but maybe they should have had 2 waitresses. Anyway we left and went to a different restaurant. One of the reasons we went to it was it was on the water but it is and it isn't. None of the rooms really had any windows, etc facing the York River. Their property does go to the river but you can not see it from any of the rooms. I might stay again because of the cleanliness of the rooms and the woman on the front desk, but the better improve the restaurant, or they will lose their clientelle. We went their because we thought we could enjoy he restaurant without having t leave the motel.

Room Tip: Depends on what you want. All the rooms have a frig, microwave and a coffee maker.. They have some...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We came to the Sword (Best Western) for the Gemboree. The beds were clean, the fridge didn't work all that well (we didn't try the microwave) the rug didn't appear that clean (kept my sandals on) the bathroom sink was clean as was the toilet, but the tub had long black hairs in it and when I unfolded the bathmat it was dirty on the side that was folded under. When I was in the pool there was hair in it one little girl pulled out a clump!!! The hot tub was very good and clean.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Spent a night here on a road trip through Central and Eastern Ontario. This hotel is very clean, comfortable and quiet despite being very busy. Hotel staff are friendly and what more could one ask for!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We go to Bancroft once a summer. When I was a kid we would stay in the Sword Motel.
We sold our cottage 2 years ago and now go up and stay a hotel.
This year I thought "Stay in the Sword."
Now while we were there we were very pleased with the hotel. Vito's across the street is awesome and we're a short drive to the lake we want to be at.
It wasn't until I got home and went to see my doctor (a regular visit, nothing to do with this) and he noticed bed bug bites on my legs. Not a lot but maybe 10. I went home and had my son check his legs and he had about 5 or 6.
I would stay again at the Sword but not in room number 2.

Room Tip: Rooms were clean and I didn't see any bed bugs. But we now have the bites.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Stayed here for 1 night while visiting family. We didn't use any of the ammenities, so I can't comment. The room was clean. The hotel is close to town and the view from the room was of a nice open green space. The bathroom sink area is quite small, but manageable.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bancroft
Bancroft Inn & Suites
#3 of 10 in Bancroft
Bancroft Bed & Breakfast
Bancroft Bed & Breakfast
#6 of 10 in Bancroft

Been to Sword Motor Inn? Share your experiences!